Sponsored by:

After market air intake question

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 10:06 PM
Ducati Guy
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Default After market air intake question

As spring approaches I am considering upgrading my current stock air intake with an after market set up.

Looking for advice regarding the different options. Things for me to consider are:

Ease of installation
Increase in HP (actual increase, not the hyped increase)
Cost

And anything else I should know.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:22 PM
Sam Handwich
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

you could do a search for the zip-tie mod. Very low cost.
Someone else did something using a file folder pocket (yeah, like from the office supply store).
Lot's of creative people out there.
And look at the Low Cost or No Cost Mods thread. Good stuff.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:57 PM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,054 Likes on 2,030 Posts

A C5 Z06 lid from an '02-'04 Z06.

Aftermarket I suggest a Blackwing for it's superior filtering media.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:23 AM
Ducati Guy
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Handwich
you could do a search for the zip-tie mod. Very low cost.
Someone else did something using a file folder pocket (yeah, like from the office supply store).
Lot's of creative people out there.
And look at the Low Cost or No Cost Mods thread. Good stuff.
Excellent...........I like no/low cost. Not sure where to find a link or info for the zip tie mod and the Low Cost or No Cost Mods thread. Any help is appreciated
Old 02-16-2017, 12:25 AM
Friscojim
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 26 Posts

I put in the Airaid system - very install - I think they run a little over $300 or so - very happy with mine
Old 02-16-2017, 06:53 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,289 Likes on 13,964 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I've run the Blackwing on my last two C5s and am very happy with that product. I won't claim that it provides a significant boost in power or performance, but it is less restrictive than an OEM filter and the install is extremely simple. Cost is reasonable and they do show up as used on the forum every now and then for an even better price.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:08 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

HP gains on a stock C5 Corvette come from two sources--intake and exhaust. Changes in the Air Intake Temperature (making the incoming air passing the MAF cooler) will make a more dense charge into the cylinder and will slightly increase the real HP. HP increases in the Exhaust side will mostly come from headers, changes in the mufflers--other than a straight pipe--will add at most 2HP on a stock engine. the best gains are from a scan log tune--optimizing the HP gains from 1500-5500 rpm.

Here is a copy from an GM engineer paper from the early C5 era.
" Engines can only run at their optimal efficiency if they have very precise data on the amount of air flowing into them. Although most people think of air flow into an engine as fairly continuous, it really is not. The opening and closing of valves and reciprocating nature of internal combustion engines means the air flow is really a series of pulses which make measuring the exact flow challenging.
Intake engineers spend a lot of time optimizing the system to get excellent signal quality out of the MAF." HTH
The following users liked this post:
Roddy13 (03-02-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 11:34 AM
Sam Handwich
Burning Brakes

Default You asked for this

Originally Posted by Ducati Guy
Excellent...........I like no/low cost. Not sure where to find a link or info for the zip tie mod and the Low Cost or No Cost Mods thread. Any help is appreciated
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...elf-stuff.html

It might take you a few hours to get through this. Have fun and let us hear back about what you think of it.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:53 AM
sirdano
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts

Here are some good info

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...fications.html
Old 02-21-2017, 01:25 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

I just installed a Vararam B2 with power duct this past weekend. Right off the bat I noticed quality was not quite up to par. Mine did not come with spacers since I bought it used, it seems like the new revisions do come with spacers for the grill shrouds. I believe the spacers would have helped it fit better, though I think part of my fitment issues come from me damaging the front end a few weeks ago. It is a tight fit, and having a lift is a must for ease of installation. Took me about 5 hours to install it by myself. I notice better throttle response on the freeway, and the DIC informs me that my MPG is about 2 MPG higher at the same speed. My coolant temps are also lower than before.

If I do have to remove it for smog checks (stupid California EPA rules), I think I might go for a Callaway Honker instead. CARB certified and should fit better.

Last edited by Tsumi; 02-21-2017 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:31 PM
Sam Handwich
Burning Brakes

Default Vararam fit question

Originally Posted by Tsumi
I just installed a Vararam B2 with power duct this past weekend. Right off the bat I noticed quality was not quite up to par. Mine did not come with spacers since I bought it used, it seems like the new revisions do come with spacers for the grill shrouds. I believe the spacers would have helped it fit better, though I think part of my fitment issues come from me damaging the front end a few weeks ago. It is a tight fit, and having a lift is a must for ease of installation. Took me about 5 hours to install it by myself. I notice better throttle response on the freeway, and the DIC informs me that my MPG is about 2 MPG higher at the same speed. My coolant temps are also lower than before.

If I do have to remove it for smog checks (stupid California EPA rules), I think I might go for a Callaway Honker instead. CARB certified and should fit better.
Really surprised that the install took 5 hours. I mean, that is what I would probably spend, but I am really PICKY. I just hate to quit until it is done right.
Is the problem that it does not seal tightly? I am wondering if something like double sided foam mounts + velcro could be used to make the alignment and sealing better.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:39 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Handwich
Really surprised that the install took 5 hours. I mean, that is what I would probably spend, but I am really PICKY. I just hate to quit until it is done right.
Is the problem that it does not seal tightly? I am wondering if something like double sided foam mounts + velcro could be used to make the alignment and sealing better.
Now that I think about it it was actually closer to 4 hours of actual working time on the Vararam, maybe less. I think I spent an hour installing a catch can and just opening boxes.

I did not like that it was only riveted on top, and not the bottom. That made it really flexible, so I think that is by design due to variances between cars. If anything came out from me repairing the front end of my car, it was the knowledge that these cars have a lot of wiggle room for alignment of body parts.

I sealed it all up with duct tape, but I have no idea how well that will hold. Time will tell. What I think is that the fog light shrouds needed to be pushed back (using the spacers) so that it would have a more vertical angle coming up from the bumper. With the angle mine was at, it was really pushing into the radiator shroud, making it difficult to get the radiator shroud in properly. It also ended up pushing down on the fog light shrouds quite a bit, more than I would have liked.

Get notified of new replies

To After market air intake question

Quick Reply: After market air intake question