C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

New Katech C7 Z06 Oil Cooler Kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 03:39 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Default New Katech C7 Z06 Oil Cooler Kit

Includes:
-10 plate oil-to-water cooler
-Oil cooler mounting bracket
-Oil cooler lines with heat sleeve
-Oil cooler adapter
-Lower radiator hose
-Freeze plug
-Radiator port plug

Removes the factory oil cooler from next to the catalytic converter and relocates a 10-plate oil-to-water cooler behind the radiator fan.

The oil cooler adapter has an optional port for oil temperature sensor relocating so you can accurately monitor the engine oil temperature going into the engine using the factory electronics.

Note, the kits include the water lines for the radiator to oil cooler and oil cooler to water pump connections. In the beginning we will be supplying hose pieces and couplers to build your own hoses. Meanwhile, we have contracted a hose manufacturer to private label manufacture a molded hose specifically for this application. That has a long lead time, so if you need a kit now you can order with the build-your-own hoses, or if you want to wait a couple months you can order with the custom molded hoses. Please allow about a week to build the kit as this new product ramps up.

Enhance cooling with a Dewitts radiator and 170F thermostat.

Oil cooler kit:
http://store.katechengines.com/c7-co...-kit-p551.aspx

Optional oil temperature sensor relocating harness: http://store.katechengines.com/oil-t...ness-p558.aspx

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 02-17-2017, 03:44 PM
c5racr1
Melting Slicks

Received 462 Likes on 331 Posts

I see it's on your car, game changer?
Old 02-17-2017, 03:50 PM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by c5racr1
I see it's on your car, game changer?
That's actually a customer's car. It was working well during an HPDE down in Florida but other car issues cut that test short. We tested the cooler a lot last summer in a 700hp NA Stingray. Andy Pilgrim flogged on it at M1 Concourse in July heat and it kept oil temp in check.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:18 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Since this kit is oil to water, engine coolant, do you think it's more efficient than a oil to air cooler in mid 90 and above ambient temps?
Old 02-17-2017, 06:58 PM
dsddcd
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks good, nice and simple I love that.
The following users liked this post:
Katech_Zach (02-18-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 07:26 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

Jason, how does this improve on the stock oil-water heat exchanger? When people overheat, they're near max water or oil temp at the same time. Curious how this gets more heat out of the system. It seems like it may just exchange heat between the coolant and oil better but that may not solve the issue. Is the benefit just getting it away from the cat?

Last edited by spearfish25; 02-17-2017 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:04 AM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by Thomasmoto
Since this kit is oil to water, engine coolant, do you think it's more efficient than a oil to air cooler in mid 90 and above ambient temps?
I think it's more efficient. This is very similar to the oil-to-water cooler Pratt & Miller uses on the C7.R.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:09 AM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by spearfish25
Jason, how does this improve on the stock oil-water heat exchanger? When people overheat, they're near max water or oil temp at the same time. Curious how this gets more heat out of the system. It seems like it may just exchange heat between the coolant and oil better but that may not solve the issue. Is the benefit just getting it away from the cat?
I believe our 10-plate design is more efficient at exchanging oil temperature into the water. Yes, a big part of it is moving the oil cooler away from it's stock position an inch away from a 1200+ degree catalytic converter. Water can be more effectively cooled by adding a Dewitts radiator, and especially by adding the TIKT heat exchanger system and getting the stock heat exchanger out from in front of the radiator.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:56 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Does this work if you have the GM secondary radiator kit installed? Do you need to unhook the oil lines to drain the oil during an oil change? Have you written up install instructions?

I trust you guys to have validated that it doesn't affect the oil pressure so I hope it's a non-issue for warranty purposes. I'm interested depending on LOE to install and maintain.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:59 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 733 Likes on 481 Posts

Looks like a nice product but in my mind, keeping the oil and water 'linked' in this fashion is not the way to effectively reduce the temps for either.

We already know that the thermal capacity of the water radiator is marginal on these cars. Dumping the high heat oil into the mix was one of the errors GM made, and even with your 'plate' type oil/water cooler the cooling pathways remain linked. Far better imho to separate the water and oil cooling into distinct components.

Bish
The following users liked this post:
Eli-Z06 (09-01-2019)
Old 02-20-2017, 11:08 AM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Does this work if you have the GM secondary radiator kit installed? Do you need to unhook the oil lines to drain the oil during an oil change? Have you written up install instructions?

I trust you guys to have validated that it doesn't affect the oil pressure so I hope it's a non-issue for warranty purposes. I'm interested depending on LOE to install and maintain.

Yes, it works with the secondary radiator kit. The vehicle pictured has it on there. You don't need to unhook the oil lines during an oil change if you are changing it regularly.

We have tested on track and oil pressure has been sufficient.
Old 06-04-2018, 01:50 PM
LagunaSecaZ06
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

Has as anyone tested this on the track? I am willing to give it a try and report back results. Jason, can you make me a deal on one of these kits plush the relocation harness?

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
Yes, it works with the secondary radiator kit. The vehicle pictured has it on there. You don't need to unhook the oil lines during an oil change if you are changing it regularly.

We have tested on track and oil pressure has been sufficient.
Old 06-04-2018, 03:51 PM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by LagunaSecaZ06
Has as anyone tested this on the track? I am willing to give it a try and report back results. Jason, can you make me a deal on one of these kits plush the relocation harness?

Yes, we have a 427 LT1 Stingray and 427 LT1 Grand Sport that have been doing track days and oil temps have been excellent.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:05 PM
GeorgeR_Zed06
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 127 Posts

Those coolant hoses going to the green anodized fittings, are they cooling each individual brick? If so, is this a conversion system that is sold as a bolt on upgrade or something?

Thanks,
Old 06-04-2018, 05:19 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
Yes, we have a 427 LT1 Stingray and 427 LT1 Grand Sport that have been doing track days and oil temps have been excellent.
Jason, this is the supercharged Z06 section, so your experiences with normally aspirated engines may or may not apply.

Katech's revised oil cooler may transfer more heat from the oil to the main cooling system radiator, but what a few people have asked, and you have not adequately responded to yet, is whether this is of any real benefit, since both cooling systems tend to be overworked already under hot track conditions in their stock configurations. This would suggest that that transferring an additional heat load to the primary engine cooling system wouldn't gain much, if anything.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:42 PM
LagunaSecaZ06
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

Logically this kit should help because the oil to water cooler is relocated from an inch from the catalytic converter to behind the radiator. This would reduce heat from the cat heating up the oil cooler. This is similar to Viper setup. I would like to see some PDR data or even a photograph of this helping. Since I don't think it can hurt, I may just buy it and test it myself.

Last edited by LagunaSecaZ06; 06-04-2018 at 08:44 PM.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:54 AM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Jason, this is the supercharged Z06 section, so your experiences with normally aspirated engines may or may not apply.

Katech's revised oil cooler may transfer more heat from the oil to the main cooling system radiator, but what a few people have asked, and you have not adequately responded to yet, is whether this is of any real benefit, since both cooling systems tend to be overworked already under hot track conditions in their stock configurations. This would suggest that that transferring an additional heat load to the primary engine cooling system wouldn't gain much, if anything.
I should have paid more attention to which section it's in. We do have a couple Z06s running this cooler also. One got some track time last year, but not a whole lot. No oil temp issues. It came back this winter for a TIKT heat exchanger system so any further testing this year will have fixed the primary engine cooling system issues.
Old 08-22-2021, 05:17 PM
CaddyRacer
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 76 Posts

There's should be some real world, track temps now....both oil and water

Please share if you have a Katech oil cooler on your C7Z06 and you track it
....also share your model year and transmission

Get notified of new replies

To New Katech C7 Z06 Oil Cooler Kit

Quick Reply: New Katech C7 Z06 Oil Cooler Kit