C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Second Vette, Need C6 drag racing/ mod info

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 05:14 PM
Clint's C3
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Second Vette, Need C6 drag racing/ mod info

We have a C3 that has evolved in to primarily a drag race car. I purchased a 2010 GS for more creature comforts but still intend to drag race it occasionally. A few newbie questions, sorry I did try to search but not too successfully.

1) What tire pressure should I run with stock tires?
2) What is the best mode; traction control, performance or none at all?
3) Should power brake at the launch, what’s the stall speed?
4) What the most effective mods folks usually make, cold air intake, cat back mufflers then headers….
Thanks very much!
Old 02-18-2017, 01:16 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Clint's C3
We have a C3 that has evolved in to primarily a drag race car. I purchased a 2010 GS for more creature comforts but still intend to drag race it occasionally. A few newbie questions, sorry I did try to search but not too successfully.

1) What tire pressure should I run with stock tires?
2) What is the best mode; traction control, performance or none at all?
3) Should power brake at the launch, what’s the stall speed?
4) What the most effective mods folks usually make, cold air intake, cat back mufflers then headers….
Thanks very much!
1) 25 psi minimum (24 is where the nannies kick in)
2) TC off
3) Brake to 1100-1220. The converter stall is 1800, but it's not the best launch rpm.
4) CAI first. If you have the bi-mode mufflers, keep them. Don't bother with other mufflers until you do headers and a tune.

I'd say have fun, but I know you already are.
The following 2 users liked this post by HOXXOH:
Clint's C3 (02-18-2017), MidYearRoadster (02-28-2017)
Old 02-18-2017, 01:37 PM
Clint's C3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
1) 25 psi minimum (24 is where the nannies kick in)
2) TC off
3) Brake to 1100-1220. The converter stall is 1800, but it's not the best launch rpm.
4) CAI first. If you have the bi-mode mufflers, keep them. Don't bother with other mufflers until you do headers and a tune.

I'd say have fun, but I know you already are.
Thanks very much! Will put your advice to work next Saturday. Having fun already for sure! I love my new baby!
Old 02-18-2017, 01:48 PM
oemtech
Melting Slicks

Received 159 Likes on 116 Posts

What he said..

Just took my stock 08 LS3 to the track for the first time. Ran 12.47/114 in the 1/4.
The following users liked this post:
Clint's C3 (02-18-2017)
Old 02-18-2017, 10:54 PM
Clint's C3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by oemtech
What he said..

Just took my stock 08 LS3 to the track for the first time. Ran 12.47/114 in the 1/4.
Nice! First time I took my 82 to the track it ran a high 15

After lots of time and cash it now runs low 11's

Mid 12s is no joke. my how technology has advanced!
Old 02-19-2017, 12:16 AM
oemtech
Melting Slicks

Received 159 Likes on 116 Posts

OBTW - Forgot to mention I have not been to the track in over 40 years. I turned 75 in Jan.. Now if I get my RT down and get my 60' time down I just might push it a bit lower.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:37 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Originally Posted by oemtech
OBTW - Forgot to mention I have not been to the track in over 40 years. I turned 75 in Jan.. Now if I get my RT down and get my 60' time down I just might push it a bit lower.
I'm also 75 and had about a 30 year pause before getting back to the track in '08. I have about 450 passes under my belt with the Vette, but by far my competition has been with the clock. Just for reference, I haven't been able to get my reaction time anywhere near consistent. I'm blaming it on age.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:28 AM
Clint's C3
Burning Brakes

You guys are youngsters. Check below.

Another question: Should I back in to the water box and do a quick burn out or just launch cold?

In the staging lanes during the National Hot Rod Association’s season finale, a gray-eyed, silver-haired, salt-and-pepper-mustachioed race car driver is methodically gathering up his safety garb and preparing himself for an imminent nitro-powered blast down the Pomona, California, raceway in his 8,000hp Top Fuel car. The man is Chris Socrates Karamesines, and he has been going through variations of this dragstrip ritual for almost 60 years.

It is a tepid, dark-blue Thursday evening in mid-November-the day after Chris’ birthday-and Sandy, his lovely, fair-haired wife has a dilemma. After this afternoon’s qualifying attempt, she wants to host an intimate party and serve birthday cake to the Greek’s crewmembers and friends, but if she wants to present an accurate representation of Chris’ age during the celebration, there isn’t enough room on the dessert for all the candles. If official reports are to be believed, the man was born in 1928. Thus the ceremony will require the lighting of 81 candles-at least.

Old 02-20-2017, 03:15 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

You guys are youngsters. Check below.

Another question: Should I back in to the water box and do a quick burn out or just launch cold?

In the staging lanes during the National Hot Rod Association’s season finale, a gray-eyed, silver-haired, salt-and-pepper-mustachioed race car driver is methodically gathering up his safety garb and preparing himself for an imminent nitro-powered blast down the Pomona, California, raceway in his 8,000hp Top Fuel car. The man is Chris Socrates Karamesines, and he has been going through variations of this dragstrip ritual for almost 60 years.

It is a tepid, dark-blue Thursday evening in mid-November-the day after Chris’ birthday-and Sandy, his lovely, fair-haired wife has a dilemma. After this afternoon’s qualifying attempt, she wants to host an intimate party and serve birthday cake to the Greek’s crewmembers and friends, but if she wants to present an accurate representation of Chris’ age during the celebration, there isn’t enough room on the dessert for all the candles. If official reports are to be believed, the man was born in 1928. Thus the ceremony will require the lighting of 81 candles-at least.

Chris just got a late start, since there weren't any dragstrips when he was in his teens. I made my first pass a month before my 17th birthday. I just took a 30 break. Lord willing, I'll be playing into my 90's, however don't expect to see me jump out of a perfectly good airplane like Bush the elder.

BTW, starting line prep with street tires is turn them just enough to clean the dirt off. One short dry hop without smoke works best.
The following users liked this post:
Clint's C3 (02-20-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 01:08 PM
Clint's C3
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the advice! Air was good, about 55 degrees at Texas Motorplex in Ennis TX. I set tire pressure to 26 psi. turned off traction control, went around the water, backed in to the box and did about a 2 sec burnout, launched at 1100 rpm and got a small amount of wheels spin, probably lost 2-3 tenths.

After reading the ¼ mile challenge posts and how 12 second passes in stock trim were rare, my expectations were diminished and I was already thinking of mods necessary to reach 12s. After picking up the slip 12.549 sec, attached, was very pleasantly surprised. Bragging rights to a mid-12 second street car, heck yes!
Second pass was 12.546. Lost an extra .03 in the 60 ft. Shows how bad I need drag radials if I intend to bracket race. Have Vararam CAI on order. Drag radials next. Now thinking about 11’s...
Old 02-26-2017, 01:12 PM
Clint's C3
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the advice! Air was good, about 55 degrees at Texas Motorplex in Ennis TX. I set tire pressure to 26 psi. turned off traction control, went around the water, backed in to the box and did about a 2 sec burnout, launched at 1100 rpm and got a small amount of wheels spin, probably lost 2-3 tenths.

After reading the ¼ mile challenge posts and how 12 second passes in stock trim were rare, my expectations were diminished and I was already thinking of mods necessary to reach 12s. After picking up the slip 12.549 sec, attached, was very pleasantly surprised. Bragging rights to a mid-12 second street car, heck yes!
Second pass was 12.546. Lost an extra .03 in the 60 ft. Shows how bad I need drag radials if I intend to bracket race. Have Vararam CAI on order. Drag radials next.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:39 PM
BSPC608
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

N

Second pass was 12.546. Lost an extra .03 in the 60 ft. Shows how bad I need drag radials if I intend to bracket race. Have Vararam CAI on order. Drag radials next.
Clint nice pass. What happened to your reaction time?
Do you know the guy in the blue el comino

Tried to get a head start still went around him.

Last edited by BSPC608; 02-26-2017 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Video
Old 02-26-2017, 11:45 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,053 Likes on 1,305 Posts

Originally Posted by BSPC608
N

Congrats on the run Clint, below is Brian's 10.17 as I left before he went 10.15

https://youtu.be/BWcyg09j0IA

Last edited by PRE-Z06; 02-27-2017 at 09:30 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:03 AM
Clint's C3
Burning Brakes

[/QUOTE]

Don't know the guy in the blue El Camino. But, if in you live in the area you both of you are welcome to race with us; Texas Muscle Car Club Challenge. Check us out TMCCC.org. You can race with the GM Performance Club, no membership fee. First race at North Star March 5, look for my old Vette.
I could blame my reaction time on the longer roll out than I’m used to but more realistic is it was the first pas of the season and I’m rusty. Second pass was a little better. That’s’ my story and I’m sticking to it!
Old 02-27-2017, 06:14 PM
BSPC608
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Don't know the guy in the blue El Camino. But, if in you live in the area you both of you are welcome to race with us; Texas Muscle Car Club Challenge. Check us out TMCCC.org. You can race with the GM Performance Club, no membership fee. First race at North Star March 5, look for my old Vette.
I could blame my reaction time on the longer roll out than I’m used to but more realistic is it was the first pas of the season and I’m rusty. Second pass was a little better. That’s’ my story and I’m sticking to it![/QUOTE]

Club designation is H, run in super pro 6.99 and faster. See you Sunday. We can talk how to make your Grand Sport faster.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:56 AM
Clint's C3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BSPC608
I could blame my reaction time on the longer roll out than I’m used to but more realistic is it was the first pas of the season and I’m rusty. Second pass was a little better. That’s’ my story and I’m sticking to it!
Club designation is H, run in super pro 6.99 and faster. See you Sunday. We can talk how to make your Grand Sport faster.[/QUOTE]

Club letter H, Corvette Club, very familiar. See you Sunday!
Old 02-28-2017, 11:21 AM
pmwinc
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Headers and DRs 1st...CAI gave me ZERO at the track...my 08 A6 went 11.7s @ 123....

Get notified of new replies

To Second Vette, Need C6 drag racing/ mod info

Old 02-28-2017, 02:48 PM
Clint's C3
Burning Brakes

Well, this will be a good data point, comparing to my mods: DRs, and Vararam CAI.

What CAI do you have, what was your 1.8 mi time? I'm running this weekend at a 1/8 mi track.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:24 PM
MidYearRoadster
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

Clint get use to the car...you can get your stock set up faster with practice....took me a while went from as 12.80 to a 12.31 just by learning how to get the car to launch and playing with the air pressure...good luck
Old 02-28-2017, 03:53 PM
pmwinc
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Vararam...cannot find those old slips at the moment...sorry

Quick Reply: Second Vette, Need C6 drag racing/ mod info