C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Anyone using Wilwood SLC56 calipers with C5 adapters?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 11:35 AM
kkesler
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone using Wilwood SLC56 calipers with C5 adapters?

Anyone tried using the Wilwood SLC56 calipers with C5 caliper adapters (I have Vansteel adapters)?

Last edited by kkesler; 02-18-2017 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:45 AM
SpedRacr93
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by kkesler
Anyone tried using the Wilwood SLC56 calipers with C5 caliper adapters (I have Vansteel adapters)?
Are you just trying to get a cheap fixed mount caliper that will work with C5 cheap rotors?

I don't have any input to actually answer your question, but someone who might be helpful is Van Steel Corvette Suspension. They are a Wilwood reseller and of course they make brackets for C4 Brake upgrades. They may know which brackets will/won't work. I know that they sell a different bracket for regular calipers to the C6 Z calipers.

Let us know what you find out.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:50 AM
kkesler
Instructor

Talked with Van Steel and they said it won't work.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:28 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Received 561 Likes on 429 Posts

Talked with Van Steel and they said it won't work.
Thanks for asking Vansteel for sharing their response with us. I have wondered about this question myself.

Did Vansteel happen to say why it won't work?

-I'm just wondering if they actually tested to see it wouldn't work or just said that because no one has tried it before.

Last edited by DMITTZ; 02-21-2017 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:26 AM
kkesler
Instructor

Originally Posted by DMITTZ
Thanks for asking Vansteel for sharing their response with us. I have wondered about this question myself.

Did Vansteel happen to say why it won't work?

-I'm just wondering if they actually tested to see it wouldn't work or just said that because no one has tried it before.
Said it was because the Wilwood bolt straight on instead of using caliper brackets. I don't see why that matters, if the Wilwood bolt to the same holes the oem calipers use then it seems they would work. I found a decent deal on new C5 Z06 calipers so I went with those.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:29 AM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Said it was because the Wilwood bolt straight on instead of using caliper brackets. I don't see why that matters, if the Wilwood bolt to the same holes the oem calipers use then it seems they would work. I found a decent deal on new C5 Z06 calipers so I went with those.
I agree with you if the calipers bolt to the same holes as OEM then they should work.

I upgraded to C6 brakes on my car and am happy with them.

I was just curious about the Wilwood calipers since it always seemed to me they should work.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:03 PM
The_Outlaw
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He all. I'm new and ran across this because I was searching for this exactly. I spoke with the guys at Van Steel as well and he was quick to tell me this would not work. What he told me was that because the Wilwood rotor has a different offset. Which while I was on the phone with him I went with.

But the reading that the new Wilwood caliper is designed to be a direct OEM replacement and work with the OEM calipers I think that the guys at Wilwood may just not know about the new Calipers. I know may be a stretch but really can be the only thing I can think of.

Either way I took the gamble and ordered the Calipers from Summit racing and the C5 bracket from Van Steel. We'll find out in a few weeks if it will work once I get all the parts in.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:24 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Very interested to hear what you find.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:52 PM
The_Outlaw
Cruising

I just called VanSteel and explained everything to them. He was not aware of the new calipers but didn't see why it would not work. He is calling his rep at Wilwood to get some details and is calling me back.

I already bought the bracket from VS and the Calipers from Summit. So either way we shall see.

He also did mention that he heard from Wilwood that they are planning on producing a direct bolt on 4 piston Caliper for the big brake option C4. So there is

If anyone is interested in a set of calipers and brackets that are freshly and professionally painted and rebuilt along with brand new never used pads from a stock 96 C4 let me know. They are the smaller calipers not the J55. Which is what got me to this point anyway.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:41 PM
kkesler
Instructor

Originally Posted by The_Outlaw
Either way I took the gamble and ordered the Calipers from Summit racing and the C5 bracket from Van Steel. We'll find out in a few weeks if it will work once I get all the parts in.
I ordered new C5 Z06 calipers and brackets, also ordered Powerstop rotors and pads and some Wilwood braided lines.

Before:

After:

Old 02-28-2017, 12:40 AM
BV85
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Calipers

What do you mean by smaller calipers. Is there that much of a difference on the J55 and your calipers. TIA
Old 02-28-2017, 09:40 AM
The_Outlaw
Cruising

Originally Posted by BV85
What do you mean by smaller calipers. Is there that much of a difference on the J55 and your calipers. TIA
The difference between the two is the width of the calipers. The J55 allows to fit over the larger 13" rotors. The 13" rotor is both wider and thicker than the base 12" rotor.

Heres a great pic that shows the difference.

Last edited by The_Outlaw; 02-28-2017 at 11:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BV85 (02-28-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 09:47 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

While it could be "assumed" there are no issues with the caliper to bracket mounting the ISSUE I believe is the 17" wheel requirement. Wilwood mentions/seems to hint maybe even issues with the C5 and requires measuring.

OP - with your C5 "thin-spokes" it would likely be safe to assume NO ISSUES but there's four C4 17" wheel options and there's 2 variations of the fronts for the later years. Add "replica and custom wheels" to the mix and I believe it safe to say ASSUME NOTHING!!

It's most often mentioned that even C5 conversions don't/won't work with most saw-blades without the use of spacers.

The poster who mentions already having ordered maybe needs to mention which wheels he's going to attempt to use and post back. he mentions "explaining" to VBP but I believe there's way more to an install than "they just bolt to the adapter"!!

This is I believe the correct caliper/wheel clearance dimension they specify. I believe a phone call to Wilwood before a purchase would be wise! I doubt they would even comment for their use with adapter hardware of any sort.

http://www.wilwood.com/Images/BrakeK...123_wcd-lg.jpg

It might be worthwhile for anyone serious to maybe contact TCE - they're a CF Vendor and I'm sure could likely pass on quality information

http://www.tceperformanceproducts.com/

Last edited by WVZR-1; 02-28-2017 at 10:01 AM.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:17 AM
The_Outlaw
Cruising

When I say "explained" I don't mean I told him what his job is. I mean that I explained the whole situation as I was confused and wanted to understand. And it turns out that I was correct he didn't know about the new calipers. And he seemed interested in getting the answers.

As for wheels. That was not part of this discussion so I did not mention it. And honestly does not affect my install. This thread was would the new calipers work on the C4 and the Van Steel brackets and C5 12.8" rotors.

I'm using 18" wheels.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:55 AM
henryr
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The difference between the two is the width of the calipers. The J55 allows to fit over the larger 13" rotors. The 13" rotor is both wider and thicker than the base 12" rotor.

the standard brakes on left and j55 on right ? re: the pic
The following users liked this post:
BV85 (02-28-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 11:01 AM
The_Outlaw
Cruising

Yes that is correct. This is not my pic just one I found online.

Edit: I updated my original post since the Red caliper is not actually the C4 caliper.

Last edited by The_Outlaw; 02-28-2017 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:34 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

This image is NOT a comparison of C4 JL9 and J55 brakes - the painted caliper, rotor and pad on the right is later hardware.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 02-28-2017 at 11:39 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone using Wilwood SLC56 calipers with C5 adapters?

Old 02-28-2017, 11:49 AM
The_Outlaw
Cruising

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
This image is NOT a comparison of C4 JL9 and J55 brakes - the painted caliper, rotor and pad on the right is later hardware.
You are correct! I didn't notice the mounting tabs on the painted Red caliper. I updated my post to show an actual pic comparing the two correct C4 calipers.

FYI Do you always come across as a dick? For instance. instead of just pointing out a mistake be as helpful as your profile makes you out to be and post something useful instead.

Mods feel free to delete my account. I'm trying to help out and this Douche Nozzle is just being a Know it all provide nothing jerk.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:01 PM
henryr
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thx

do we know if the one on the left is J55 ?

(so a J55 to c5 comparo)
Old 02-28-2017, 12:05 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by henryr
thx

do we know if the one on the left is J55 ?

(so a J55 to c5 comparo)
It would be reasonably safe to assume that the left is actually JL9 (12") using only the rotor as a guide. JL9 and J55 brake pads are the same and visually without JL9 and J55 hydraulics side by side it's a very difficult comparison.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 02-28-2017 at 12:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone using Wilwood SLC56 calipers with C5 adapters?