C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

GT350R vs ZO6 7M as a fun/occasional HDPE car

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 02:40 PM
carcrazysammy
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts
Default GT350R vs ZO6 7M as a fun/occasional HDPE car

I have a standard 2017 GT350 that Ford is in the process of buying back. It has gone through 2 engines. Being a member of Mustang6 forums there are only a hand full of members that have had problems. Lightning stuck twice in my case.

That said I have put a refundable deposit on a GT350R at $12,000 over sticker. Now I am having second thoughts.

The Zo6 looks like an amazing deal with the performance it offers. On track and in a straight line it is the superior car. I am worried it won't be as much "fun" or feel as special as the GT350. I hope this doesn't sound silly. If it wasn't for the engine troubles the GT350 is a car I would be happy keeping for a long time.

Without driving or even riding in one it is a difficult decision to make. Asking this on the Mustang forum would get me flamed and 95% of them have never driven a Zo6.

Thanks for the advise,

Sammy

Popular Reply

02-18-2017, 04:06 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

You are obviously going to get biased opinions, as seen above. I for one would immediately notice a GT350, let alone the red badge on the rear indicating an R. Yes, it is similar to any other mustang, but on that same logic a Z06 is the same as any base C7. Granted the owner of either would strongly disagree and begin stating all the differences from brakes to motor to suspension etc... Point is, no matter what you drive the majority of the general population could not care less.

To your actual question, I will lean toward the Z06 being the better choice for a few reason. The first is that I truly believe it is the better track car in nearly every measurable metric. That isn't to say the GT350 is a bad HPDE or fun weekend car. When I am bouncing off the red line at 6500 rpm, you can take that flat plane crank and wring it out to the moon! Having sat in a number of newer Mustangs, I firmly believe the inside of a base Corvette is nicer than the Ford. Tech for Tech, they are about the same. I think you could drop down to a low optioned Grand Sport and still come out ahead compared to the GT350. Finally, no way would I pay a market adjustment to own the GT350R. Unless you are buying as an investment, and it possibly would serve that purpose well, I refuse to pay a mark up. Sort of like most of the Porsche GT cars, they demand a premium but hold their values really well.

I don't think you can go wrong either way, but I firmly believe the Z06 to be the better all around car.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:49 PM
Jason900rr
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

You're comparing apples to oranges! I believe these cars are ina totally different class than a mustang. If you want to get noticed and feel like you're driving something special that people always look at, no matter what vette you get, then get a vette! If you want a car that blends in and a lot of other people have and nobody really gives a second look unless they know what they're looking at and for, then get a mustang! Every time I drive my 15' Z it amazes me how much performance this thing has for the among of money they cost! This is my 3rd Z and I don't think I'd own any other performance car. Go test drive one, I can almost guarantee you'll buy one
Old 02-18-2017, 03:22 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason900rr
You're comparing apples to oranges! I believe these cars are ina totally different class than a mustang. If you want to get noticed and feel like you're driving something special that people always look at, no matter what vette you get, then get a vette! If you want a car that blends in and a lot of other people have and nobody really gives a second look unless they know what they're looking at and for, then get a mustang! Every time I drive my 15' Z it amazes me how much performance this thing has for the among of money they cost! This is my 3rd Z and I don't think I'd own any other performance car. Go test drive one, I can almost guarantee you'll buy one
Well said, I completely agree.

No one takes notice of a Mustang, except other Mustang owners.
EVERYONE notices a C7.

The C7 Z06 is all the performance anyone would ever need in a street car.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:06 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

You are obviously going to get biased opinions, as seen above. I for one would immediately notice a GT350, let alone the red badge on the rear indicating an R. Yes, it is similar to any other mustang, but on that same logic a Z06 is the same as any base C7. Granted the owner of either would strongly disagree and begin stating all the differences from brakes to motor to suspension etc... Point is, no matter what you drive the majority of the general population could not care less.

To your actual question, I will lean toward the Z06 being the better choice for a few reason. The first is that I truly believe it is the better track car in nearly every measurable metric. That isn't to say the GT350 is a bad HPDE or fun weekend car. When I am bouncing off the red line at 6500 rpm, you can take that flat plane crank and wring it out to the moon! Having sat in a number of newer Mustangs, I firmly believe the inside of a base Corvette is nicer than the Ford. Tech for Tech, they are about the same. I think you could drop down to a low optioned Grand Sport and still come out ahead compared to the GT350. Finally, no way would I pay a market adjustment to own the GT350R. Unless you are buying as an investment, and it possibly would serve that purpose well, I refuse to pay a mark up. Sort of like most of the Porsche GT cars, they demand a premium but hold their values really well.

I don't think you can go wrong either way, but I firmly believe the Z06 to be the better all around car.

Last edited by fleming23; 02-18-2017 at 04:07 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by fleming23:
Al3x_666 (09-10-2017), BlackMamba89 (01-17-2019), carcrazysammy (09-13-2017), CFHay (09-10-2017), MRHTRD (09-15-2017), rico750sxi (09-11-2017) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-18-2017, 04:53 PM
jpbls
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Before buying my Z,I was looking at a 16 -350.I did a lot of research about the car and found one at a local dealer.Guy would not discuss price over the phone.They wanted 25k over sticker.Thought it was a joke.Sales guy asked what I thought would be reasonable mark up,I said 0.Made buying the Z a no brainer,14k under sticker
The following users liked this post:
desmophile (09-18-2017)
Old 02-18-2017, 04:53 PM
tbrenny33
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

A corvette Z06 isn't significantly distinguishable from a stingray but by sheer volume I occasionally see a stingray, where as I see a v6, turbo or Gt mustang 10 times a day or more, a corvette is going to be far more special feeling. I myself would say the Z06 is going to be a more enjoyable car as well.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:05 PM
Dfwz06
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

I got out of my gt350 and couldn't be happier. You don't spend most of the time in high rpm, so the powerband was useless. It was a lot easier to get in and out of tho
carcrazysammy (09-13-2017)
Old 02-18-2017, 05:12 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I absoultely love my C7Z but it's one of the least fun cars I've owned. Also you have to ask yourself do you really care about getting noticed. I know that's a big thing for some people but for me life's too short to worry about being noticed. I'm sure you can find someone, or a dealer, to let you test drive the car. If I were you I'd get a JCW Mini Cooper built to the ragged edge and it will be one of the most fun cars you'll ever drive. Then I'd get a C5Z (which was way more fun than my C7Z) for HPDE and at the end of the day you may not have the coolest new shiny depreciating toy but you'll be having way more smiles along the way and much more money left under the mattress.

Just my worthless painfully honest opinion.

Best,
Gene

Last edited by phantasms; 02-18-2017 at 05:12 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by phantasms:
Lenman59 (02-20-2017), oversteer (06-16-2018), Phoenix64 (09-17-2017)
Old 02-18-2017, 05:16 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by carcrazysammy
I have a standard 2017 GT350 that Ford is in the process of buying back. It has gone through 2 engines. Being a member of Mustang6 forums there are only a hand full of members that have had problems. Lightning stuck twice in my case.

That said I have put a refundable deposit on a GT350R at $12,000 over sticker. Now I am having second thoughts.

The Zo6 looks like an amazing deal with the performance it offers. On track and in a straight line it is the superior car. I am worried it won't be as much "fun" or feel as special as the GT350. I hope this doesn't sound silly. If it wasn't for the engine troubles the GT350 is a car I would be happy keeping for a long time.

Without driving or even riding in one it is a difficult decision to make. Asking this on the Mustang forum would get me flamed and 95% of them have never driven a Zo6.

Thanks for the advise,

Sammy
First question you have to answer for yourself is do you need a back seat or may need one in the near future.

Second question has been hinted at. Do you like attention? My 20 something neighbor who is into modding German cars with Turbo's went for a ride with me after I got my new Z06. As we were riding along in the center lane of an interstate he said to me, "Do you always get this much attention?" I had to ask what he meant since I hadn't thought about it much, but there were people coming up along side the car and waving to us from both sides, people who would accelerate to catch up with us and then ride along side, people ahead of us who were slowing down to ride along side. He was amazed and said his turbo'd VW, blacked out with fancy wheels and loud exhaust never got that kind of attention. At fast food restaurants you will find people working behind the counter running out to take pictures, and you do need to watch for drool on the car.

Third question is do you want to get your Mustang friends upset when you run around them at the track.

Bill
desmophile (09-18-2017)
Old 02-18-2017, 07:26 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

I've driven my friends GT350. It's a special car and a great experience. I really like the Recaro seats, the clutch feel is very light and binary which is very different from the Z, and the engine screams. It's absolutely not as fast.

I think a track day in my Z is better than sex, so I'd be hard pressed to find a car that I think is even more fun. Out of principle I wouldn't pay over sticker for a 350 when you can get a Z at a discount and it's faster around a track.

The attention thing is real. I can pick my nose in my CX5 and not be noticed. In my Z06 I'd probably have friends texting me that they saw me doing it. People are always standing by the car and admiring it when I walk back to it after an errand. I'm often that guy with other people's cars so I try to be super cool and let them sit in it.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:30 PM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by carcrazysammy

Thanks for the advise,

Sammy
I thought about this for a week.

Then I remembered its still a mustang. I love that 5.2, love it. But it's in the chassis of a 30k entry level pony car.

Get the Z.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:04 PM
Jackie Chan
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

I loved my 15 gt performance pack, but there is no way I would pay sticker or over sticker for a gt350. If its a daily driver the mustang is just hard to beat though.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:10 AM
2016_Z06
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

I am a gt350r defector! And ex mustang6g forum goer.

I had a 20k adm R lined up but opted for 220lb ft more torque.

The z06 is an incredible car and vastly superior to the gt350r! I also own a performance pack gt and there is no comparison.

go z06!

Last edited by 2016_Z06; 02-19-2017 at 12:11 AM.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:14 AM
MacManInfi
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Just drive one. Find a dealer who will let you give the Z a whirl. You'll have a much clearer picture then.

Everyone is different. The Z is my favorite car. From a Mustang Cobra, a DeTomaso Pantera, a C5 Z06, a Viper, a GT-R and several purpose built track cars, nothing puts a smile on my face like this Vette does. But I'm not you. Try one out and see what you think.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:18 AM
cvp33
Melting Slicks

Received 1,050 Likes on 660 Posts

We had a sponsorship deal with Ford Racing and I was offered a spot for a GT350r @ MSRP. I turned it down for 2 reasons. One, it was never going to be my dream car and two, I didn't want to take that spot from another enthusiast who, for them, it would be their dream car. To a Mustang guy that car is the holy grail. To me, I still can't believe the Z06 does what it does, has a warranty and cooled seats. Before the ZR1, 600hp+ was surreal.

My choice was easy. 20% off MSRP and a quick trip to Callaway made all my car dreams come true.
The following 2 users liked this post by cvp33:
BlackMoon (11-02-2017), EMINENT 1 (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 12:31 AM
MacManInfi
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

+1 on the Callaway.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:49 AM
HNK
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by MacManInfi
Just drive one. Find a dealer who will let you give the Z a whirl. You'll have a much clearer picture then.

Everyone is different. The Z is my favorite car. From a Mustang Cobra, a DeTomaso Pantera, a C5 Z06, a Viper, a GT-R and several purpose built track cars, nothing puts a smile on my face like this Vette does. But I'm not you. Try one out and see what you think.

DeTomaso Pantera,,, what a good looking car with glorious sound.
The Vette is Motor vehicle addiction, once you own one and love it, you will always have one.
Mustang is great, but no C7Z

Get notified of new replies

To GT350R vs ZO6 7M as a fun/occasional HDPE car

Old 02-19-2017, 01:04 AM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

You can compare the cars all you want and both are great, but anyone that pays huge dealer pack is crazy. Might as well light 120 Hundred dollar bills in Times Square. If you are worth a B$ or more maybe it doesn't matter but to most of us that makes it a crazy choice.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:34 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

If I win the Lottery next week, maybe I won't make a fuss over paying above MSRP.
OK, I lied...I would make a fuss.

My hatred of dealers simply won't allow me to give them 1 penny more than I have to after negotiating a price well below MSRP on every car I buy.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:13 AM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem

My hatred of dealers simply won't allow me to give them 1 penny more than I have to after negotiating a price well below MSRP on every car I buy.
I agree. Dealers make me nauseated and angry most of the time. They try to take advantage of the naive any way possible. I've seen wheel locks added on for $300 and door edge film (tiny 1/4" strips) for $400. Drives me nuts and destroys my confidence in them.

Imagine if your doctor did that kind of manipulation to you.

Quick Reply: GT350R vs ZO6 7M as a fun/occasional HDPE car