Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Really struggling to lay down traction

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 09:49 PM
Sprayy
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Really struggling to lay down traction

Hey guys,

I have a 2007 z06 with Pilot super Sports.

I measured them at 5/32 all four corners.

If I even go half throttle in second gear the car will violently shift to the left and start to slide.

This happens even when the tires get warmed up a bit.

It's always to the one side. Is this normal? I don't recall my C5Z ever doing this.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:53 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

Received 150 Likes on 133 Posts

Its all subjective at this point.

Tire pressure?

Pavement could be slicker then normal and when cold worse. Not the time of the year for traction.

Traction control is off?
Old 02-18-2017, 09:55 PM
Sprayy
Racer

It happened all last year too. Psi is set to 30 cold. I lower it for track days.

Traction control is left on. I noticed at the track it would break loose a lot as well and they were really warmed up.

Maybe time for new tires? Would anything else help it? Stiffer suspension?

Just had me thinking as I drove my friends 911S in -4 on winters. Driving it 10/10's it never skipped a beat traction wise. I get the engine is over the rear end though.

Originally Posted by outhouse
Its all subjective at this point.

Tire pressure?

Pavement could be slicker then normal and when cold worse. Not the time of the year for traction.

Traction control is off?

Last edited by Sprayy; 02-18-2017 at 09:56 PM.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:30 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

Received 150 Likes on 133 Posts

High HP and cold pavement do not mix.

Lower pressure to 27-28
Old 02-18-2017, 11:57 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

As John said, cold temps never help. Three other things come to mind. Have you checked to see if tire pressures are equal from side to side? What's the date of manufacture on all 4 tires? Have you had a good alignment done? If tire pressures and alignment are good, the age could be your problem. They will drop off grip gradually as they age.

In addition, I had a set of the PSS tires that fell into the range of manufacture wherein the death wobble problem was identified. The death wobble was a high speed instability that felt like the rear of the car was jumping from side to side under throttle. With that I also had a tendency to have the car kick the rear end out at lower speeds under full throttle. Both problems were cured when I got a new warranty replacement set at a big discount from Michelin. If your tires are new they would be made after that problem was fixed.

Last edited by Les; 02-18-2017 at 11:59 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:05 AM
Sprayy
Racer

They were manufactured 1312 and 2312
Old 02-19-2017, 09:58 AM
Sean_C
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

are u stock or modded?

I'm stock and on 325 pilot sports (not PSS) I can hook 2nd gear 60 hits....that's in 60* weather and up and 29psi
Old 02-19-2017, 10:12 AM
Sprayy
Racer

More or less stock. Engine was "done" and told it might give it another 25-30 hp or so.

Originally Posted by Sean_C
are u stock or modded?

I'm stock and on 325 pilot sports (not PSS) I can hook 2nd gear 60 hits....that's in 60* weather and up and 29psi
Old 02-19-2017, 10:16 AM
Sean_C
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

hhhhmmmmm i would think u should be able to hook then, especially since PSS are considered a step above pilot sports
Old 02-19-2017, 11:38 AM
Sprayy
Racer

They're from 2012. After reading online I suspect this might be the issue.

Originally Posted by Les
As John said, cold temps never help. Three other things come to mind. Have you checked to see if tire pressures are equal from side to side? What's the date of manufacture on all 4 tires? Have you had a good alignment done? If tire pressures and alignment are good, the age could be your problem. They will drop off grip gradually as they age.

In addition, I had a set of the PSS tires that fell into the range of manufacture wherein the death wobble problem was identified. The death wobble was a high speed instability that felt like the rear of the car was jumping from side to side under throttle. With that I also had a tendency to have the car kick the rear end out at lower speeds under full throttle. Both problems were cured when I got a new warranty replacement set at a big discount from Michelin. If your tires are new they would be made after that problem was fixed.

Get notified of new replies

To Really struggling to lay down traction

Quick Reply: [Z06] Really struggling to lay down traction