Sponsored by:

Splitter installation help

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 11:00 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

Default Splitter installation help

Got a stage 1 splitter off a z06 for my stingray. Anyone have any step by step info for installation?
Old 02-19-2017, 07:35 AM
KGS365
Racer

Received 290 Likes on 182 Posts

Watching
Old 02-19-2017, 07:59 AM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

Is so easy. There is a diy thread somewhere here, take out the screws along the front and side air damn, install splitter, replace screws, drill out holes that are in spltter and some say plastic rivets, i used push pull pins.
Bobs your uncle.
The following users liked this post:
brooklync5 (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 08:32 AM
bigblock427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,346 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by walleyejack
Is so easy. There is a diy thread somewhere here, take out the screws along the front and side air damn, install splitter, replace screws, drill out holes that are in spltter and some say plastic rivets, i used push pull pins.
Bobs your uncle.

I did this same modification. It is very easy. You have to jack up the front end of the car. Hold the new splitter in position to see which existing screws are used to fasten the splitter to the car. And to determine which holes in the splitter need a hole drilled in the car to properly fasten the splitter to the car. If I remember correctly I drilled four holes into the car. You use the plastic push pins in the newly drilled holes. You will need to buy the push pins prior to mounting the splitter.

I think C7Jake has a step by step set of instructions. You might PM him and ask. But really it does not require installation instructions it is so easy. It took less than thirty minutes to install mine.

Good luck.
brooklync5 (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 08:42 AM
KGS365
Racer

Received 290 Likes on 182 Posts

I was just looking under the car...it some holes are intuitive ...some not so much....need a splitter install for dummies video...
Old 02-19-2017, 08:42 AM
SMT1004
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 127 Posts

You can just drive on to a couple of 2x12 pieces to get some clearance. As others mentioned one row of bolts lines up, the others you need to drill, 3/16 if using supplied rivets(best hardware), 5/16 if using plastic scrivets(not very strong). You can also use screws and bolts(best hardware) drill appropriate size hole for your screws. Take off an fair dams below front end. Lots of threads showing all options.
KGS365 (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 09:10 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,622 Likes on 6,626 Posts

Originally Posted by KGS365
I was just looking under the car...it some holes are intuitive ...some not so much....need a splitter install for dummies video...
FWIW, this is a 10 page picture/text PDF of my install: http://netwelding.com/CF_Splitter.pdf
Old 02-19-2017, 09:14 AM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

Thank you everyone!!
Old 02-19-2017, 09:29 AM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

I agree, very easy. Used these retainer clips on Ebay.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:32 AM
Jakeman11
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I did a carbon fiber splitter install on my Z51, I have ramps, a good investment if you want to do anything under the car. I also installed the carbon fiber side rails. Front, most holes lined up perfectly, start with the 2 center holes. I put some supporting stuff (Bricks) to hold the sides close to the car so that there was little bending. Where I needed holes, just used a drill. Same process for the sides.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:17 PM
0Fred@ReverseLogic
Former Vendor

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

If you use ramps to lift the car to working height when installing the splitter, make sure the car-to-ramp clearance will still be adequate after the splitter is installed. Otherwise it my be a PITA to get the car off the ramps.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:01 PM
Jakeman11
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred@ReverseLogic
If you use ramps to lift the car to working height when installing the splitter, make sure the car-to-ramp clearance will still be adequate after the splitter is installed. Otherwise it my be a PITA to get the car off the ramps.
Got racing ramps with the extenders - u need them, otherwise you will bottom out.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:50 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

I modified the left and right little black deflectors underneath that were on it in order to reinstall them with the splitter. Makes for a good low driveway feeler so the first crunch you hear isn't the splitter dragging the ground. Unless you look under it you can't see them.

walleyejack (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 10:44 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Definitely recommend that you install extra fasteners along the leading edge. I used the same fasteners that attach the bumper cover instead of plastic push rivets. There are details and photos in other posts on this subject.
Just attach the splitter using the rear mounting screws already holding the bumper cover, then drill the extra holes using the splitter as the template. You will need to use push in plastic rivets on the two center holes since you cannot reach the screws from inside the bumper to attach the nut there.

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 02-20-2017 at 10:17 AM.
Renarello (04-08-2024)
Old 02-20-2017, 12:59 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,713 Likes on 2,920 Posts

I just installed the Z06 Stage 1 "poverty" splitter on my car this morning and the install could not have been easier. for starters, I jacked up both sides of the car to raise the front; this gives more room to work than driving up on ramps alone.

For tools, you will need:
7mm socket
drill
3/16" drill bit
rivet gun (I got mine for $5 at Harbor Freight)
10 3/16" rivets (included)

Remove the 12 existing 7mm bolts underneath the front bumper then lift the splitter into position and reinstall the 12 bolts you just removed. You will see the 10 holes in the splitter where you need to drill the 3/16" holes. You don't need to go deep, just enough to punch through the bumper cover. This was my first time ever using a rivet gun, don't be afraid, it was simple! I see some guys using plastic scrivets but a pack of those costs more than the rivet gun, plus the rivets are going to give a stronger and more solid mounting which is a good thing considering it is an aero part that will see decent force on it at speed.

It's tough to see in the pics, but I got the version painted in Carbon Flash to match the grille, badges, etc.
Old 12-16-2020, 01:29 PM
Quick7
Heel & Toe

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Pictures please.

Hello, I've seen your recommendation for using bolts, nuts and washers for the 10 additional fasteners. And I fully understand what I see from your one picture of the bottom of the front bumper and splitter. Can you provide a picture or two of what's going on top where the nut is attached to the bolt? If possible snap a picture of the nut and washer on the bolt? I'm not seeing how you get to that location without a bunch of disassembly in the engine bay. Thanks.

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
Definitely recommend that you install extra fasteners along the leading edge. I used the same fasteners that attach the bumper cover instead of plastic push rivets. There are details and photos in other posts on this subject.
Just attach the splitter using the rear mounting screws already holding the bumper cover, then drill the extra holes using the splitter as the template. You will need to use push in plastic rivets on the two center holes since you cannot reach the screws from inside the bumper to attach the nut there.

Old 12-16-2020, 02:01 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,622 Likes on 6,626 Posts

Originally Posted by Quick7
Hello, I've seen your recommendation for using bolts, nuts and washers for the 10 additional fasteners. And I fully understand what I see from your one picture of the bottom of the front bumper and splitter. Can you provide a picture or two of what's going on top where the nut is attached to the bolt? If possible snap a picture of the nut and washer on the bolt? I'm not seeing how you get to that location without a bunch of disassembly in the engine bay. Thanks.
If you want to do it right use rivets NOT bolts (not useful where you need them) or what are officially called Scrivets (or plastic rivets, or push rivets) they don't hold with much force. 3/16 inch aluminum rivets can hold ~300 pounds! That is what GM supplied to install the splitter that came with my Stage 2 Aero Option on my 2017 Grand Sport. This link posted above on this old Thread has info of my splitter install on my 2014 Z51. It's been updated since 2017 so start at page 15.
http://netwelding.com/Ceramic_Pads.pdf

Here is another about rivets and a very good rivet gun I recently bought at Harbor Freight for ~$8 to install my C8 Side Skirts! They also sell the 3/16 inch aluminum rivets I have used and will hold just fine for a splitter. Just need to review pages 6 and 7!
http://netwelding.com/Side_Skirts.pdf

Last edited by JerryU; 12-16-2020 at 02:03 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Splitter installation help

Quick Reply: Splitter installation help