C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

rear drum brake noise 64 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 10:19 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Received 137 Likes on 94 Posts

Default rear drum brake noise 64 coupe

My brand new rear drum brakes (drums, liners, springs, cylinders, ...complete overhaul) make a 'tak tak tak' noise when braking at slower speed (my guess: at the rate of the spinning wheel). When putting them on the test rollers they perform fine and balanced left/right. Any idea?
Old 02-19-2017, 10:39 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

First check that there isn't a pebble stuck in the tire tread. Next I would jack the rear up with parking brake off and front tires chocked and slowly spin each rear wheel by hand in neutral. Then if convinced it's the brakes pull a drum.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:44 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
First check that there isn't a pebble stuck in the tire tread. Next I would jack the rear up with parking brake off and front tires chocked and slowly spin each rear wheel by hand in neutral. Then if convinced it's the brakes pull a drum.
it's only when braking, sounds kind of like something is pulling off and on the studs
Old 02-19-2017, 11:03 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by alexandervdr
it's only when braking, sounds kind of like something is pulling off and on the studs
Go through the self adjustment procedure and if no help pull the rear drums and let's have a look-see. I don't fool around with brakes. You need to figure it out.

Check for proper spring placement and leading/trailing shoe position and that the self adjuster torpedos are on the correct side. They are NOT interchangeable

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 02-19-2017 at 11:08 AM.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:18 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Long shots.

Check the half shaft bolts while you're under there.

Loose/cracked wheel.

Last edited by MikeM; 02-19-2017 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:19 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

here some pictures I took earlier
Attached Images   

Last edited by alexandervdr; 02-19-2017 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:24 AM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 286 Likes on 172 Posts

Does the orientation of the self adjusting spring (green spring above star adjuster) matter? See how in the pics you posted, the spring attaches from the rear of the shoe? So the hook potion of the spring comes from the back of the shoe.

I did my right rear drum last night and my self adjusting spring attaches on the front of the shoe. It shows this orientation in the shop manual too.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:32 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by bluestreak63
Does the orientation of the self adjusting spring (green spring above star adjuster) matter? See how in the pics you posted, the spring attaches from the rear of the shoe? So the hook potion of the spring comes from the back of the shoe.

I did my right rear drum last night and my self adjusting spring attaches on the front of the shoe. It shows this orientation in the shop manual too.
If you put it on wrong, the spring will bind on the adjuster wheel.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:22 PM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MikeM
If you put it on wrong, the spring will bind on the adjuster wheel.
Yeah, that's why I was asking. In his pics above, the spring hook comes from the back of the shoe, but I have it hooking from the front. The shop manual shows it from the front (I think, pics aren't crystal clear) too. I'm just wondering if I have it backwards. My start adjuster seems to click fine when I turn it.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:32 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Okay. You're talking about which way the hook faces. I thought you meant the whole spring.

Here's another picture.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
bluestreak63 (02-20-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 12:50 PM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,126 Likes on 553 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Another long shot, check the rear bearings for play.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:52 PM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MikeM
Okay. You're talking about which way the hook faces. I thought you meant the whole spring.

Here's another picture.
Nice pic! So in this pic, the hook on the short end of the spring (left side looking at the diagram) goes through the front of the shoe. So it looks like I have it correct.

Now his is coming from the back. Could that be an issue and causing his clicking sound?
Old 02-20-2017, 12:58 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by bluestreak63
Nice pic! So in this pic, the hook on the short end of the spring (left side looking at the diagram) goes through the front of the shoe. So it looks like I have it correct.

Now his is coming from the back. Could that be an issue and causing his clicking sound?
My opinion? I don't think so.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:40 AM
VITIV Coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 92 Posts

Here's another correct picture of 64 brakes Alexandervdr. Like bluestreak63 already mentioned, the only thing I can see installed incorrectly is the adjuster spring.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:30 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

I don't think it matters which way the hook orients, the relevant point being the spring is not taking a bend and is well aligned with the star wheel cylinder (and it is).

The sound I am hearing is as if a shoe lifts from the top stud and then bounces back. The inside of the new drums is nicely and evenly worn in already, no signs of partial grip...
Old 02-24-2017, 09:23 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

after inspection, I really don't find anything that seems wrong...
Could it be it's the brake shoes hitting the dust shield?
Old 02-24-2017, 09:32 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I would get the car up on jack stands in the rear, chock the front wheels....and parking brake off.

Remove the rear tires and spin the drums by hand while somebody applies the brakes....engine off. If that doesn't do it you can support the rear suspension so its not dangling fully extended (e.g. ratchet straps on the trailing arms and other techniques I've seen here). Have somebody start the car, put it in first, get it going a bit with some gas and apply the brakes. You should at least be able to determine which side is the issue.

Get notified of new replies

To rear drum brake noise 64 coupe

Old 02-27-2017, 11:39 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

well, it's both sides. I took the rear drums of (again...) and compared part to part with the old parts I took off. I noticed the spring holding the forward oriented shoe was way longer than the spring I had taken off, so increasing holding force against the dust shield. Although I would expect the problem to be too little rather than much pressure, I replaced the long springs with the shorter one. It took only a short drive to notice the problem was still there...I then went for a drive with a very experience car mechanic, who guessed (as I do) that it's the shoes sliding sideways and then springing back to the dust shield.
Very interesting observation: when braking in reverse it's very smooth and silent without any clunking noise. Does this ring a bell?
Attached Images  

Last edited by alexandervdr; 02-27-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:44 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by alexandervdr
well, it's both sides. I took the rear drums of (again...) and compared part to part with the old parts I took off. I noticed the spring holding the forward oriented shoe was way longer than the spring I had taken off, so increasing holding force against the dust shield. Although I would expect the problem to be too little rather than much pressure, I replaced the long springs with the shorter one. It took only a short drive to notice the problem was still there...I then went for a drive with a very experience car mechanic, who guessed (as I do) that it's the shoes sliding sideways and then springing back to the dust shield.
Very interesting observation: when braking in reverse it's very smooth and silent without any clunking noise. Does this ring a bell?
The short shoe retainer spring is shorter to accommodate the flat self adjuster arm that operates the pawl The longer spring goes on the OTHER shoe. I'd compare things to a front assembly that does not make the noise. You've assembled something wrong or have a wrong part.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 02-27-2017 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:05 PM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

If I understand correctly there is the shorter STRAIGHT spring WITHOUT taper at one site that goes into a bottom cup that slots into the self adjusting arm.
The LONGER one has TAPER and goes to the other shoe. The TAPER is oriented against the shoe and holds with a washer against the shoe. Right?

pictures shows a new an an old spring,on car all springs are new
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: rear drum brake noise 64 coupe