C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Washing your Z

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 05:56 PM
Darkvet
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Washing your Z

Man I've never experienced so many intricate crevices while washing a car. Give me some tips please: wheels. Front grill, rear louvered pieces on bumper cover.

Thanks

Pete

Last edited by Darkvet; 02-19-2017 at 05:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Danelain (02-23-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 06:18 PM
AZDANZ06
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkvet
Man I've never experienced so many intricate crevices while washing a car. Give me some tips please: wheels. Front grill, rear louvered pieces on bumper cover.

Thanks

Pete
It takes me damn near 2 hours to wash and dry the car, I am major OCD when I clean it. I recently had a water softener installed at our home, what a huge difference with no water spots. One trick I use to get most of the water off the car is my leaf blower , it only takes one microfiber cloth after that to completely dry it.
The following 2 users liked this post by AZDANZ06:
Darkvet (02-19-2017), nelsond003 (02-23-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 06:41 PM
Darkvet
Racer

Originally Posted by AZDANZ06
It takes me damn near 2 hours to wash and dry the car, I am major OCD when I clean it. I recently had a water softener installed at our home, what a huge difference with no water spots. One trick I use to get most of the water off the car is my leaf blower , it only takes one microfiber cloth after that to completely dry it.
I don't have a leaf blower but I do have an air compressor. Hmmmmm?
Old 02-19-2017, 06:44 PM
AZDANZ06
Drifting

Originally Posted by Darkvet
I don't have a leaf blower but I do have an air compressor. Hmmmmm?
My Father In Law uses his Shop Vac in blower mode, he taught me the trick
The following 2 users liked this post by AZDANZ06:
azcanuk (02-20-2017), Darkvet (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 06:46 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Believe it or not I've never washed my 2015. I use a car duster and some detailer, but haven't gotten it dirty enough to need a full wash.

I had to wash from the beltline down after the track, though.

Frankly the paint on mine doesn't warrant worrying about, but from my good black cars I've come to the conclusion that washing is really hard on the paint, even done carefully, and if you can get away without it, all the better.

If you're driving it hard and getting it dirty, though, wash away! That's what they're for.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:50 PM
AZDANZ06
Drifting

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
Believe it or not I've never washed my 2015. I use a car duster and some detailer, but haven't gotten it dirty enough to need a full wash.

I had to wash from the beltline down after the track, though.

Frankly the paint on mine doesn't warrant worrying about, but from my good black cars I've come to the conclusion that washing is really hard on the paint, even done carefully, and if you can get away without it, all the better.

If you're driving it hard and getting it dirty, though, wash away! That's what they're for.
I normally use Meguiars Detailing Spray and Micro Fiber Towels to clean it, but it needed a real bath. I have a Micro Fiber Wash Mitt, separate bucket for soap and one to rinse the Mitt in between, so it should not do much to the paint.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:54 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,423 Likes on 1,597 Posts

^^^ Washed mine yesterday and it took about 2 hours; half of which was focussing on the wheels and tires. I also use a leaf blower, which works well at getting water out of those vent areas, side view mirrors, tail lights, side markers, grille, wheels, spoiler, side skirts, hatch, and countless other hard to get areas.

I have a problem with hard water as well. I've been thinking about a water softener... or maybe a spotless water deionization system.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:58 PM
AZDANZ06
Drifting

Originally Posted by sTz
^^^ Washed mine yesterday and it took about 2 hours; half of which was focussing on the wheels and tires. I also use a leaf blower, which works well at getting water out of those vent areas, side view mirrors, tail lights, side markers, grille, wheels, spoiler, side skirts, hatch, and countless other hard to get areas.

I have a problem with hard water as well. I've been thinking about a water softener... or maybe a spotless water deionization system.
You will not regret a water softener, no more water spots on your cars, in the shower, dishes, etc. Wish I would have done this sooner
Old 02-19-2017, 08:03 PM
Darkvet
Racer

I have a water softener as well but still some water spots on the carbon flash areas if I don't dry it right away. Michigan roads just plain suck with all the dust and I live out in an area that's constantly getting developed so I always pick up a lot of dirt. Usually I use a car duster and quick wax as well but do like to wash her when it's super full of dust.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:03 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

don't wash it.thats how it gets scratched.use a California duster on it.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:43 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDANZ06
I normally use Meguiars Detailing Spray and Micro Fiber Towels to clean it, but it needed a real bath. I have a Micro Fiber Wash Mitt, separate bucket for soap and one to rinse the Mitt in between, so it should not do much to the paint.
Try Adams detailing spray, I used everything else, and nothing compares to that stuff , my last 3 vettes were black have a black Viper TA and a major case of OCD, the Adams does the trick( also smells great like zaino does if not better)

Last edited by NytmereZ; 02-19-2017 at 08:43 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:49 PM
Darkvet
Racer

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
Try Adams detailing spray, I used everything else, and nothing compares to that stuff , my last 3 vettes were black have a black Viper TA and a major case of OCD, the Adams does the trick( also smells great like zaino does if not better)
I use Zaino quick spray. I might try this Adams stuff
Old 02-19-2017, 08:57 PM
AZDANZ06
Drifting

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
I will have to try that.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:36 PM
Ltrain925
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

Pressure washer, mtm foam cannon, 240mph leaf blower with small nossle attatchment, any high quality quick wax detailed. Ceramic pro h9 helps prior to washing
Old 02-19-2017, 10:32 PM
-HAIRBALL-
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by lordofwar
don't wash it.thats how it gets scratched.use a California duster on it.
CA duster will scratch it eventually. The CA duster is impregnated with paraffin wax to pick up dust/debris but then what, you drag that stuff over your car and you will get scratches in it. Not too bad when new but once it picks up the dirt it just drags it over the surface. I went with a washable microfiber duster and it still holds in too must dust. I wash mine with a microfiber pad and Spotless Water and then use a leaf blower to dry it off.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:48 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

I pay a detailer. I get it wet sanded every Sunday and once a quarter I have it dry sanded.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:27 AM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by -HAIRBALL-
CA duster will scratch it eventually. The CA duster is impregnated with paraffin wax to pick up dust/debris but then what, you drag that stuff over your car and you will get scratches in it. Not too bad when new but once it picks up the dirt it just drags it over the surface. I went with a washable microfiber duster and it still holds in too must dust. I wash mine with a microfiber pad and Spotless Water and then use a leaf blower to dry it off.
no scratches on my car.the dirtier it looks the better it works.bought this duster for my 85 black vette back in 1985 and have had it and used it ever since on all my vettes.one before this was my 2012 black centennial edition.my car is never driven in the rain,so it only gets dusty and the duster does the job.if you get caught in the rain then you have to wash it and that's when it gets scratched.

Get notified of new replies

To Washing your Z

Old 02-20-2017, 12:28 AM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
I pay a detailer. I get it wet sanded every Sunday and once a quarter I have it dry sanded.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:14 AM
chucky7
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Default washing car trick

First of all, I rarely use any soap as I keep my car so highly waxed and California dustered.

I got this trick from a professional guy who was cleaning 75 cars at a dealership one day. He went through them so fast that I had to ask him what he was doing. He showed me.

Purchase a microfiber towel about 3 feet long and 2 foot wide from Wallmart??? (where I got mine) or another place. Make sure that it is a microfiber.

Wet car completely with water only. Completely wet the microfiber towel and wring out water as much as you can. Open the towel holding two top corners and drag it from the front hood up the windshield and down the hatch on one side of the car. Wring out the towel. Do the same for the other half of the hood, top and hatch. Wring out the towel after each swipe. Continue on the sides and rear in the same manner.

I wash my car in less than 4-5 minutes. Use the towel to dry the wheels and any other places that you missed. The key is moving slowly allowing the towel to pick up the water.
It virtually cleans your car spot free.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:04 AM
MRink79553
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Love Xpel Ultimate Wrap with an Opti Coat Plus, some bucks yes, but 15 minutes to wash/dry, (1 ounce of Opti Wash/Dry, 2 gallons water, wipe/dry, done!! no scratches, in fact just had a large rock hit the roof on the expressway and nothing!!
The following users liked this post:
Is2scooby (02-27-2017)

Quick Reply: Washing your Z