C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Viability of parting out a C4?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 09:50 AM
Powerstroked89
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Viability of parting out a C4?

I am into this car a grand total of $2300 for car, $600 for brand new Nitto tires.

Don't get me wrong, love the C4 but the previous owner fricken abused it and shame on me for not looking much closer. Until you get a car this low on jack stands, hard to really tell.

1. Engine has head gasket issue. Did not rear it's head until I drained the oil

2. Rebuilt 4L60E that was done a year ago before I purchased it, have paperwork. Works flawlessly

3. Body is in flawless shape, save for 2 hairline cracks in the targa top.

4. Every caliper, bushing and ball joint needs a refresh.

5. Climate control/Radio does not work. AC system does.

Any viable way of parting it out and getting my money back or should I just take it as a lesson learned and sell it for whatever someone offers? I believe I will make my $2900 back if I sell it as parts vs as a complete unit. I do not mind investing my time to do that.

The market for oem parts should be pretty decent, no?

Last edited by Powerstroked89; 02-20-2017 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:25 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

Be better to sell as a complete unit. Then buy one in better shape. Always a good idea to put where your located. I have driven a 100 miles total for parts. Be easier to replace a head gasket than part out the car. Resale of the car would depend on year and shape. Others will chime in that have parted out a car. Good luck either way you go. If you lived close by I would buy your tires with wheels for the $6.

Last edited by ghoastrider1; 02-20-2017 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:29 AM
Powerstroked89
Instructor

Originally Posted by ghoastrider1
Be better to sell as a complete unit. Then buy one in better shape. Always a good idea to put where your located. I have driven a 100 miles total for parts. Be easier to replace a head gasket than part out the car. Resale of the car would depend on year and shape. Others will chime in that have parted out a car. Good luck either way you go. If you lived close by I would buy your tires with wheels for the $6.
Florida.

Problem is I listed the car, with weather stripping that needs replacing, climate control unit and radio shot, people see it as more of a hassle. I can replace the head gasket no problem, and would to sell the unit as a running engine vs a core.

Last edited by Powerstroked89; 02-20-2017 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:42 AM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Received 561 Likes on 429 Posts

If you decide to part it out be aware that most parts for the C4 are now being reproduced, which limits the price you will get for used parts.

Interior stuff is likely going to be what most people want along with hot rodders wanting the suspension. Is the interior of your car in decent shape?

your car is an auto, so it likely has the D36 diff which is not as desirable as the D44 on manual cars, so that will limit how much you get for it as parts value.

I'm hoping you didn't buy this car with the idea of flipping it....

If it were me I'd just do the head gasket, suspension refresh and weather stripping. You probably still be in the car under 5k if you do the work yourself and have a car you can enjoy. Your call though.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:44 AM
slow-vette
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

A couple of pictures of the inside and outside may help us recommend a better solution for you. But right now, I would lean toward the fix the head gasket and sell as a running and driving car. Once driving most of the things you list like bushings, bearings, and HVAC controls are normal expected repairs for a car approaching 30 years old. I have an 86 that I got into cheap and by Brother in Law has an 85 that we got into for about the same cost as where you are at. We are fixing them up a little at a time and driving the crap out of them in the process. If you can do the repairs your self over time the C4 is worth fixing but not a an investment to make money on.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:53 AM
Powerstroked89
Instructor

Originally Posted by DMITTZ
If you decide to part it out be aware that most parts for the C4 are now being reproduced, which limits the price you will get for used parts.

Interior stuff is likely going to be what most people want along with hot rodders wanting the suspension. Is the interior of your car in decent shape?

your car is an auto, so it likely has the D36 diff which is not as desirable as the D44 on manual cars, so that will limit how much you get for it as parts value.

I'm hoping you didn't buy this car with the idea of flipping it....

If it were me I'd just do the head gasket, suspension refresh and weather stripping. You probably still be in the car under 5k if you do the work yourself and have a car you can enjoy. Your call though.
No, def not to flip.

I am an a mechanics apprentice, the idea was to use the car to learn, but the problem is the cost is starting to make me question if I should see how far the rabbit hole goes...

I can do the wrenching no big deal but it seems like I get two steps ahead, I get launched back 3.

I guess the main question is, is spending the money to make it what I ultimately want, which is a 383 stroker kit that has good handling worth it on this platform?

Last edited by Powerstroked89; 02-20-2017 at 10:59 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:59 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The hardest parts you will probably see in parting a car out is dealing with listing the parts and a price, figuring out how to ship the parts and the cost, and get the payment arranged. Sell a big part off the car (engine, trans, or similar) and then you have a body taking up space.

Are you going to do all of the removal of the parts? Some parts will really require a lift to get to them easily and quickly.

Then once you have everything sold (or the buyers quit calling) then you have to deal with the hulk. Check the FL laws regarding selling it to a junkyard or recycler.

You may find that it will be cheaper in the long run to get the car in a running condition then sell it.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:03 AM
Powerstroked89
Instructor

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
The hardest parts you will probably see in parting a car out is dealing with listing the parts and a price, figuring out how to ship the parts and the cost, and get the payment arranged. Sell a big part off the car (engine, trans, or similar) and then you have a body taking up space.

Are you going to do all of the removal of the parts? Some parts will really require a lift to get to them easily and quickly.

Then once you have everything sold (or the buyers quit calling) then you have to deal with the hulk. Check the FL laws regarding selling it to a junkyard or recycler.

You may find that it will be cheaper in the long run to get the car in a running condition then sell it.

Eh I love the car I don't want to get rid of it but man the previous owner did a number on it. I mean it's not like I paid a fortune.

I guess that's ultimately the price you pay to keep an older car up to par, you dump money into it to revitalize it.

Old 02-20-2017, 11:20 AM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 136 Posts

Coming from someone who went through a similar situation, if you LOVE the car, don't sell it. You WILL regret selling the car, trust me. I had what you had into yours now, and my car was MUCH worse shape. A decent paint job is pretty much the most expensive part of these cars, yours looks to have good paint.

Last edited by BrandensBeast; 02-20-2017 at 11:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Pushrodv8 (02-20-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 11:32 AM
haxxx
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

When I first read this thread I assumed it was going to be a **** poor early style C4, because there are a lot of them. The year, engine, mileage factor a lot into this. The newer style exterior/interior in general is more desirable, and the LT1 is a great engine. Since you are saying the exterior/paint are in good shape, and interior is reasonable I would fix it. I posted a thread recently on my '96 that I spend 1k in parts and did the labor myself. These cars are old and need work. For me it's a good learning experience and I love driving the car.
Pushrodv8 (02-20-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 11:32 AM
Silver85
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 75 Posts

Make a list with budget numbers on what you want to do. If you wanted to make a 383 out of it the head gasket issue is mute right? Bushing kits aren't crazy expensive and might be something you kick the can down the road on for budget reasons?

Small bites. Do you think you can find a better platform for what you want for the kind of money you will have in it when you are done? I think you are seeing a big overwhelming picture right now. I say keep it.
Pushrodv8 (02-20-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 11:42 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,431 Likes on 2,796 Posts

Your issues are minor to fix. You will lose more money when you factor in the time to part the car out trying to do that than to just fix the few issues it has.
Pushrodv8 (02-20-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 03:30 PM
Powerstroked89
Instructor

I appreciate all the words of wisdom, I think when I got done looking at the suspension on top of everything else I was pissed off more than anything. I just don't see how you could pay something and let it sit outside abused.

Hell this car is in my garage now, the only reason my truck is outside is the shade of my apartment building, it never sits in the sun.

Good points about it just being overwhelming and it is, this is my first real motor tear down and all the damn harnesses and what not, I spent longer labeling and taking pictures than I did unbolting stuff

I am going to keep it, after this post I went and started the tear down with the motor in the car. Lifted the intake it looks good, no sludge. I had to stop at the heads as the old lady wanted to go out.

What gasket sealer did gm use on the front and back of the intake? I think it's been lifted before as the sealer wasn't even, it was goopy and it was white. I could have swore it was red rtv.

ALSO I don't recall off hand the torque rating on the intake but I was able to move these bolts with a breaker bar with ZERO force.

I am afraid to look at the heads

Last edited by Powerstroked89; 02-20-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:08 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Received 561 Likes on 429 Posts

I can certainly understand how it can get overwhelming when you look at everything you need to do to make a car 'perfect'.

Just take it one step at a time and have fun fixing it. You don't necessarily have to buy all the parts and fix it all right away. Start with getting the head gasket fixed and then take it from there as time/money allows.

I can't speak to the specifics of an LT1 (mine is an L-98) So I'll let others chime in about the engine.

As far as suspension, it doesn't cost all that much to rebuild a C4 suspension. You need a new bushings set = inexpensive. Upper and lower ball joints, tie rod ends, 6 U-joints and toe rods. The only big ticket items are wheel bearing and shocks, which you may not even need...

If you do need wheel bearings MI-bearings has excellent prices, I got all 4 of mine from them.

The good part is you only spent $2300 for the Corvette, so even if you spend $3000 over the next couple years fixing it you will only have around 5k in it and it will be a great car when done.

Best of luck with it, and there are lots of knowledgeable people on this forum who can help you if you run into any problems or need advise.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:21 PM
jsmn4vu
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Pushrodv8
I am into this car a grand total of $2300 for car, $600 for brand new Nitto tires.
<snip>
I believe I will make my $2900 back if I sell it as parts vs as a complete unit. I do not mind investing my time to do that.
I believe you can sell it as it sits and make your $2900 back. Shoot, I'd give you $3000. But if I were you, I'd keep it. Definitely.
Pushrodv8 (02-20-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 06:39 PM
Powerstroked89
Instructor

Originally Posted by DMITTZ
I can certainly understand how it can get overwhelming when you look at everything you need to do to make a car 'perfect'.

Just take it one step at a time and have fun fixing it. You don't necessarily have to buy all the parts and fix it all right away. Start with getting the head gasket fixed and then take it from there as time/money allows.

I can't speak to the specifics of an LT1 (mine is an L-98) So I'll let others chime in about the engine.

As far as suspension, it doesn't cost all that much to rebuild a C4 suspension. You need a new bushings set = inexpensive. Upper and lower ball joints, tie rod ends, 6 U-joints and toe rods. The only big ticket items are wheel bearing and shocks, which you may not even need...

If you do need wheel bearings MI-bearings has excellent prices, I got all 4 of mine from them.

The good part is you only spent $2300 for the Corvette, so even if you spend $3000 over the next couple years fixing it you will only have around 5k in it and it will be a great car when done.

Best of luck with it, and there are lots of knowledgeable people on this forum who can help you if you run into any problems or need advise.
Originally Posted by jsmn4vu
I believe you can sell it as it sits and make your $2900 back. Shoot, I'd give you $3000. But if I were you, I'd keep it. Definitely.

The problem is exacerbated by my OCD. However I think the feeling will be worth it once I pull out of the garage that first time.

If I have to pull the motor apart down to the heads, it's getting bored to 383 just cause.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:06 PM
haxxx
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Pushrodv8
I appreciate all the words of wisdom, I think when I got done looking at the suspension on top of everything else I was pissed off more than anything. I just don't see how you could pay something and let it sit outside abused.

Hell this car is in my garage now, the only reason my truck is outside is the shade of my apartment building, it never sits in the sun.

Good points about it just being overwhelming and it is, this is my first real motor tear down and all the damn harnesses and what not, I spent longer labeling and taking pictures than I did unbolting stuff

I am going to keep it, after this post I went and started the tear down with the motor in the car. Lifted the intake it looks good, no sludge. I had to stop at the heads as the old lady wanted to go out.

What gasket sealer did gm use on the front and back of the intake? I think it's been lifted before as the sealer wasn't even, it was goopy and it was white. I could have swore it was red rtv.

ALSO I don't recall off hand the torque rating on the intake but I was able to move these bolts with a breaker bar with ZERO force.

I am afraid to look at the heads
The intake bolts loosen oven time and cause oil to leak. They should be in the 30 ft/lbs range. It's a really common problem and was the biggest job I've had so far (knock on wood). The sealant on the front and back from the factory should have been black and the felpro kit I purchased was also black.
Pushrodv8 (02-20-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Viability of parting out a C4?

Old 02-20-2017, 07:09 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Look at it this way, if you do not need the space and/or cash and are willing/able to do the work yourself, for less than a $5k total investment you will have a great car built just the way you want it. Ask yourself this, could you buy a car with similar performance and handling for what it will cost you to fix this one ?
Pushrodv8 (02-20-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 08:56 PM
RIC96
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

From what I can see, that's a nice looking car. What were you expecting for $2300?
Pushrodv8 (02-20-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 09:08 PM
Powerstroked89
Instructor

Originally Posted by Patsgarage
Look at it this way, if you do not need the space and/or cash and are willing/able to do the work yourself, for less than a $5k total investment you will have a great car built just the way you want it. Ask yourself this, could you buy a car with similar performance and handling for what it will cost you to fix this one ?

Originally Posted by RIC96
From what I can see, that's a nice looking car. What were you expecting for $2300?
I knew there would be work required, but how long does a car sit to rust up the parking brake mechanism on the caliper? It's been a Florida car it's entire life lol

Quick Reply: Viability of parting out a C4?