Sponsored by:

3LT Napa leather - good for daily use?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 10:30 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Default 3LT Napa leather - good for daily use?

Hey Guys,

I am looking at some used c7s and a few of them have the 3LT package. To my understanding, this is basically an upgrade in the leather to Napa.

This will be my daily driver so I wanted to make sure that if I got a 3LT I was getting a nicer leather, but one that would last. Just like leather jackets, you can get the soft leather or the stiffer leather. The stiffer will last much longer and is more resistance to scratching (and is typically cheaper), whereas the nice leather feels good and may look a little nicer, but damages easier. Plus the dash is wrapped so I worry about sun fading and cleaning it.

I have black leather in my mustang, and it has held up for 125k miles so far and 11 years of age with no garage. So I want to make sure I am getting the same lasting quality if I spend the extra money on the higher package.

What concerns are there, if any, for the 3LT package and upgrade to the leather?

Thanks.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:02 AM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I'm at the 43K mile mark right now in less than two years; my 3LT seats still look new....I'll let you know in another year or so how they look closer to 100K

In comparison to my C5 with the optional Sport Seats and my C6 4LT Centennial, the C7 seats are far easier to keep clean; I just wipe'em down with a damp micro fiber cloth and they are back to new.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:20 AM
Tomljanovich
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by hisvett
I'm at the 43K mile mark right now in less than two years; my 3LT seats still look new....I'll let you know in another year or so how they look closer to 100K

In comparison to my C5 with the optional Sport Seats and my C6 4LT Centennial, the C7 seats are far easier to keep clean; I just wipe'em down with a damp micro fiber cloth and they are back to new.
I have a 2015 C7 Z51 Laguna Blue 2LT with adrenaline red seats. To protect the seats from dirt and wear I bought the Armor All towel seat cover in black. WHAT A MISTAKE!!! After a month of use I noticed black streaks on the bolster sides and the bottom cushion. Tried to clean them and I managed to partially get the black off and noticed that the red had faded in the bottom cushion I tried to clean it in vain. The bottom seats covers are ruined and need to be replaced. I wrote to Armor All and they did not bother to reply! Maybe the black towel covers should have been washed before use.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:28 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

It may have as much to do with climate and how you treat the car as the leather itself. I base this on my experience buying a used car with leather interior that had spent most of its life in Texas and obviously outside, kind of a travesty but that's the way it was. The interior of the car was "baked." All the plastic parts were very brittle and the leather was severely cracked most places. This was especially apparent on the dash, which of course probably took the most beating. Perhaps some of our members in similar circumstances could comment on this issue.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:38 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,622 Likes on 6,626 Posts

Lots of info about leather, including "fake news"

Here is a good summary of what I found when searching the same question several years ago, quoting:

"Nappa leather or Napa leather is a full-grain leather, typically dyed, made from unsplit kid-, lamb- or sheep-skin by tanning with salts of chromium or aluminium sulfate, and noted for softness and durability. It is often used in high-quality leather products such as high-end furniture and accessories such as wallets and luggage. One example would be interiors of luxury vehicles."

Bottom Line, it's real leather and very durable and probably more durable than the man enhanced "stuff." After 3 years my 3LT Kalahari looks new. Not a lot of miles however. Mine is a DD like my other 3 Vettes but being retired it gets driven less!

PS: Mine was a DD! The new owner is getting showroom new Napa Leather seats! We'll find out if I can see a difference on my newly ordered 2LT Grand Sport seats!

Last edited by JerryU; 02-22-2017 at 11:20 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:03 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

What about the suede inserts?
Old 02-22-2017, 11:03 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Superb!

No discernible wear at 65,000 miles. Easy to clean, and they keep your butt planted in spirited driving.
The following 2 users liked this post by owc6:
maxp (02-23-2017), ~Stingray (02-23-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 10:45 AM
maxp
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
Superb!

No discernible wear at 65,000 miles. Easy to clean, and they keep your butt planted in spirited driving.
good info, I am getting ready to order a new C7 and was wondering how well the suede held up
Old 02-23-2017, 10:51 AM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

I have a 2015 with 3 LT interior and so far we love it.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:39 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by hisvett

Over the c5 stuff I only have 9,k miles on the 2014 with 3lt in the car. I have the red seat and still look like new.

Get notified of new replies

To 3LT Napa leather - good for daily use?

Quick Reply: 3LT Napa leather - good for daily use?