Sponsored by:

Rear Spoiler/Wickerbill info

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 01:10 PM
Tweedy
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Rear Spoiler/Wickerbill info

I have a 2015 Z51 with the factory rear spoiler. I wondered if anyone has purchased the "wicker bill" and winglet extensions and installed them. I see they are readily available from a number of vendors and they attach with screws. I have a tool like a pop rivet gun for installing recessed nuts and thought it would be pretty simple to drill the factory spoiler and make the installation. I also see they have the complete kit with spoiler, winglets and wicker bill but I didn't want to have to take the rear clip off to re & re the spoiler. Also, my spoiler is already painted the same as the rest of the car and I have it painted carbon flash on the back side so I'd like to keep my spoiler.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:39 PM
Naples FL
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 90 Posts

ACS; I used double sided tape and cut the screws provided to finish the look.
I drive it daily and run through the car wash with no issues. I have also tracked it several times; quality vendor.

Last edited by 9157; 02-20-2017 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:53 PM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 417 Posts

^ You double-sided taped only those side extensions??

Have you been above 130-140mph?
Old 02-20-2017, 03:15 PM
Naples FL
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^ 137mph on the back straight at VIR. The rear wicker bills on the spoiler I used dbl sided tape ; the front spiltter and side skirts screws and rivets.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 02-20-2017 at 10:18 PM. Reason: No need to re-quote the previous post, especially if you're the next person posting.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:40 PM
Tweedy
Instructor

Originally Posted by 9157

ACS; I used double sided tape and cut the screws provided to finish the look.
I drive it daily and run through the car wash with no issues. I have also tracked it several times; quality vendor.
OK So double sided tape. I also used the 3M OEM double tape on my side skirts. I see you have the "winglets" but doesn't look like you have the full wicker bill in the center? If you get the full treatment, I understand that the center wicker bill needs to go on before the winglets. Wonder how the tape would work? I don't have a problem drilling and putting in the nut inserts. Where did you buy the winglets?
Old 02-20-2017, 04:47 PM
Naples FL
Support Corvetteforum!

The following users liked this post:
Tweedy (02-20-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 05:29 PM
Tweedy
Instructor

^^^ I did some research and Corvette Mods and Trunk Monkey (Suburban Chev in Portland - whom I have used for parts many times before and been extremely happy!!) both have the GM OEM style of winglet and they are available in a hydrocarbon dip (carbon fiber look alike). Also, the transparent center wicker bill wing is available so I'm going to pursue this. It is a little involved as you have to drill out the existing spoiler and install riv nuts but shouldn't be rocket science.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 02-20-2017 at 10:18 PM. Reason: No need to re-quote the previous post, especially if you're the next person posting.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:00 PM
rockit1
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

you run it thru a car wash?
Old 02-20-2017, 06:21 PM
thorissr
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

I also have a 2015 z51 and picked up the z06 wicker bills from corvette mods in ft worth. I ended up drilling the original wing and using the supplied bolts to attached. Used enough torq for a secure fit. Installed the about 2 month ago with no issues so far. Note...I have about 1/2 inch space on both sides due to the winglets are intended for the z06.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:07 PM
Naples FL
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Tweedy
I did some research and Corvette Mods and Trunk Monkey (Suburban Chev in Portland - whom I have used for parts many times before and been extremely happy!!) both have the GM OEM style of winglet and they are available in a hydrocarbon dip (carbon fiber look alike). Also, the transparent center wicker bill wing is available so I'm going to pursue this. It is a little involved as you have to drill out the existing spoiler and install riv nuts but shouldn't be rocket science.
they will not fit a Z51 spoiler.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:14 PM
Naples FL
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rockit1
you run it thru a car wash?
At least once a week; I also wax it by hand every Sunday! Extreme measures for black! I have a monthly membership for unlimited washes. I drive my car daily; 33k miles on '16 Z51. My car is always clean; it is a massed produced car; DRIVE IT!
The following 2 users liked this post by 9157:
matt3310 (02-21-2017), racetchr (05-03-2020)
Old 02-20-2017, 09:01 PM
Playboy2
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 120 Posts

they will not fit a Z51 spoiler.
Yes they will. These are OEM GM Z06 winglets. I drilled mine with the screws that's came with and also used 3m VHB 4941 double stick tape. 3m claims the tape to be stronger than rivets.

kevstaarr (12-23-2019)
Old 02-20-2017, 11:08 PM
Tweedy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Playboy2
Yes they will. These are OEM GM Z06 winglets. I drilled mine with the screws that's came with and also used 3m VHB 4941 double stick tape. 3m claims the tape to be stronger than rivets.

They look good. Did you look at installing either the smoke or transparent middle wicker bill section? I think they look pretty good as well. Did you buy the winglets from a GM dealer or aftermarket?
Old 02-21-2017, 07:11 AM
Naples FL
Support Corvetteforum!

It looks great from the rear; show a up close picture of the side corners from the hatch looking back; isn't there a space? The angle of the Z51 is different...
Old 02-21-2017, 12:20 PM
Playboy2
Pro

They look good. Did you look at installing either the smoke or transparent middle wicker bill section? I think they look pretty good as well. Did you buy the winglets from a GM dealer or aftermarket?
They are OEM GM winglets and I bought them online from quirkparts They came in a GM box along with the GM part number. As far as the clear part I have no intention of installing it. It adds way too much drag, as it is designed for the track on a Z06, also if I were to add it I would of had to align the winglets out more when I installed them, and they would of stuck out past the body. If you want the stage 3 Wicker it can be done, but it would stick out past the rear quarters a bit and I would suggest piecing it together first, then lining it up before drilling.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:23 PM
Playboy2
Pro

It looks great from the rear; show a up close picture of the side corners from the hatch looking back; isn't there a space? The angle of the Z51 is different...
The angle of the Z51 spoiler is different and there is a small gap on the side as you cannot drill the side hole, but you cannot see it unless you are looking for it. Looking back from the side of the car or from the back across the the hatch side of the spoiler you cannot see it. You literally have lean up against the side of the car and look down and then in, so basically from any natural angle you cannot see it.

Looking straight back leaning against the car, still cannot see a gap

Looking across the spoiler bagpipes cannot be seen

This is with camera on the hatch and looking back where you can see the gap. You would have to be leaning on the side of the car and then look back and in.
kevstaarr (12-23-2019)
Old 02-22-2017, 07:25 PM
Tweedy
Instructor

The angle of the Z51 spoiler is different and there is a small gap on the side as you cannot drill the side hole, but you cannot see it unless you are looking for it. Looking back from the side of the car or from the back across the the hatch side of the spoiler you cannot see it. You literally have lean up against the side of the car and look down and then in, so basically from any natural angle you cannot see it.

Looking straight back leaning against the car, still cannot see a gap

Looking across the spoiler bagpipes cannot be seen

This is with camera on the hatch and looking back where you can see the gap. You would have to be leaning on the side of the car and then look back and in.
That looks pretty good to me, like you say, unless you are really looking for it, you can't see it. I looked at a couple of on line suppliers and they offer a complete kit with a new "drilled" spoiler with the riv nuts installed and both winglets and center wickerbill for about $460 but I wasn't thrilled about pulling the rear clip off to change spoilers and mine is painted the body color so I asked if they would sell just the wicker bill parts and if the would fit? If so, I'll drill and install my own riv nuts.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:54 PM
Playboy2
Pro

That looks pretty good to me, like you say, unless you are really looking for it, you can't see it. I looked at a couple of on line suppliers and they offer a complete kit with a new "drilled" spoiler with the riv nuts installed and both winglets and center wickerbill for about $460 but I wasn't thrilled about pulling the rear clip off to change spoilers and mine is painted the body color so I asked if they would sell just the wicker bill parts and if the would fit? If so, I'll drill and install my own riv nuts.
Nice good luck. The wickers cost me $160 plus the tape was about $25, so price wise it wasn't bad. I looked at the ACS Z51 wickers which were about $225 which isn't a bad price, but they are not as tall as the Z06 ones. That's why I went this route. Extremely satisfied with how it came out.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Spoiler/Wickerbill info

Quick Reply: Rear Spoiler/Wickerbill info