C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Didn't pass Inspection

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 08:59 PM
D0ppler
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Didn't pass Inspection

I went in to get an inspection today on my 13' Z.To my surprise it failed, tint level is at 16% and the minimum 25%. I am the 2nd owner and it's my first time to get it inspected.Any suggestions out there. Hate to peel it off. Thanks for your replies.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:02 PM
jackhammond21
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Find a shady shop, had to do that with my truck first place failed it due to tint, no cats and headlight color, second place the shady place was $150 but they didn't even look at the truck and just filled out the sticker and stuck it on this was in San Antonio
Old 02-21-2017, 09:17 PM
D0ppler
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jackhammond21
Find a shady shop, had to do that with my truck first place failed it due to tint, no cats and headlight color, second place the shady place was $150 but they didn't even look at the truck and just filled out the sticker and stuck it on this was in San Antonio
Really 150? The 2nd place I went to I parked the car in the sun,Told the 22ish guy what happened, he came out to look at it put the tint gauge on and said yea it's below 25%. But with it in the sun you can see right through the car. So he said "Ill pass it". I was like HELL YEA! So I threw him a 20, plus the 25 for the inspection of course.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:51 PM
EVRGRN
Burning Brakes

Received 343 Likes on 200 Posts

What state do you live in? NY for example just recently imposed tint level inspection as part of the annual vehicle inspection.

As jackhammond21 mentioned, you can sometimes find shops that will overlook some things, but that's likely becoming increasingly rare, especially if you're just someone in off the street.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:02 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Texas is really cracking down on tint levels. Only problem is, you peel it off, get it inspected, then put it back on. Expensive...yes. My truck has 15%. Next year, I will take it off on the front doors and put 25% on and not worry about it anymore. If you get stopped by Texas DPS, they can actually write you a citation also.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:22 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

Here in CA we don't have safety inspections, but we have a biennial smog check. CA law makes it such a "crime" to pass a car that doesn't meet standards that there is virtually nobody willing to risk the penalties to just pencil you through. I think they lose their license and maybe get crucified.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:49 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Doppler, would you please fill out where you are located in your personal info?
Old 02-23-2017, 07:20 AM
ForceFedC4
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I greased the pockets of a local pair of mechanics who do state inspections to make sure I'm never there longer than 60 seconds. My time is valuable to me.

Buy another car a week later, the shop is repainted the guys are gone the new owner says "That'll be 30 dollars."

Looks like they greased me instead. Just make sure the guy you're giving the shinplasters to is gonna be there a while.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:57 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRGRN
What state do you live in? NY for example just recently imposed tint level inspection as part of the annual vehicle inspection.

As jackhammond21 mentioned, you can sometimes find shops that will overlook some things, but that's likely becoming increasingly rare, especially if you're just someone in off the street.
NYS: And I'm sure this will be coming to your state in the future (although I'm not sure how the tint inspection works yet) but for the emissions test your vehicle is hooked up to a state computer which reads everything live. The mechanic can't interfere with anything and cannot just hand you a sticker for a fistful of dollars.

The Nanny State continues to expand. Hello "1984."
Old 02-23-2017, 08:47 AM
Travlee
Race Director

Received 1,121 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by LMB-Z
Texas is really cracking down on tint levels. Only problem is, you peel it off, get it inspected, then put it back on. Expensive...yes. My truck has 15%. Next year, I will take it off on the front doors and put 25% on and not worry about it anymore. If you get stopped by Texas DPS, they can actually write you a citation also.
i have a guy that if the windows are down he doesnt even look at them, my last car had 20% on it all around. as far as the ticket (got one in austin) it was cheaper to pay the ticket than to strip and retint
Old 02-23-2017, 04:51 PM
NotLawReview
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Travlee
i have a guy that if the windows are down he doesnt even look at them, my last car had 20% on it all around. as far as the ticket (got one in austin) it was cheaper to pay the ticket than to strip and retint
this is the "gray area" way to get around the law. There are no inspection requirements that the car have windows that work, or windows at all. Roll them down and pull the fuse and you're in the clear.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:40 PM
the kid C6
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 128 Posts

There are no inspection requirements that the car have windows that work
I think Uber inspections are more stringent than state inspections. Your windows must work if you want to drive for Uber.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:36 PM
tprice
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Damn, you need to move SOUTH.. We did away with vehicle inspections years ago
Old 02-23-2017, 09:17 PM
SladeX
Melting Slicks

Received 833 Likes on 607 Posts

The new plug into computer testing is a joke. 5 mins in and out car passes emissions because it simply does readiness testing.

The old 2 speed test was a nightmare to pass compared to today's plug in test joke.

Get notified of new replies

To Didn't pass Inspection

Quick Reply: Didn't pass Inspection