Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

Lime Rock Noise Restrictions and Loudmouth

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 10:17 PM
ShiftLess
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Lime Rock Noise Restrictions and Loudmouth

I'm scheduled for a HPDE event at LRP in April and my newly acquired C6 has a really loud exhaust system which I think is a SLP Loudmouth. I think it has the resonators not the mufflers. I've only had a quick look at it and didn't see the SLP logo but it is really loud.

My understanding is LRP tests for ~85db and will not let you run if louder.

Has anyone run LRP with an aftermarket exhaust during a non racing event? Is there anything I can do to the system to muffle it? ie stuff fibreglass in to the tail pipe?

I'm checking Craigslist for a stock system but also want to know if I add headers in the future if that will also put it over the limit??? I mean if I got to a stock muffler with headers...
Old 02-22-2017, 09:39 AM
BierGut
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ShiftLess
I'm scheduled for a HPDE event at LRP in April and my newly acquired C6 has a really loud exhaust system which I think is a SLP Loudmouth. I think it has the resonators not the mufflers. I've only had a quick look at it and didn't see the SLP logo but it is really loud.

My understanding is LRP tests for ~85db and will not let you run if louder.

Has anyone run LRP with an aftermarket exhaust during a non racing event? Is there anything I can do to the system to muffle it? ie stuff fibreglass in to the tail pipe?

I'm checking Craigslist for a stock system but also want to know if I add headers in the future if that will also put it over the limit??? I mean if I got to a stock muffler with headers...
Chances are you will be too loud. We have no idea just how loud your car is, but it doesn’t take much to break the 85db barrier. If you are close to that level a bright clear day will offer a “slight” help to an overcast low ceiling, but it’s nothing to count on. Over the years, I’ve known many who try to lift where the gentleman stands with the meter – but he will move around the course.

Best guess for you is you’ll be too loud. Track days are expensive and lodging there is stupid so perhaps consider bailing if you’d rather not change that exhaust.

Also, as a side note -- given it’s an April event the residents will usually be a little more sensitive as the season gets underway after a quiet winter. If I were going to try and push my luck it would be much later in the season.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:29 PM
68sixspeed
Melting Slicks

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

you are hosed... put some stock mufflers on for LRP, they are usually easy/cheap to find. I've seen stock M3's get the loud flag depending on the weather. Headers on stock mufflers are right on the borderline.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:05 AM
Tim Ware
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Before major surgery, try motorcycle baffles. Many motorcycle exhaust systems can accept an internal baffle of various sizes that are supplied by aftermarket manufacturers. They just slide inside the pipe and are secured with a single bolt.
Try eBay and look for " baffles " in a motorcycle category. They restrict flow a little, but they do reduce sound.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:14 AM
Tim Ware
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I just looked at eBay under " Motorcycle Baffles " & found 442 baffles. Perhaps there's one for you ?
Tim
Old 02-25-2017, 08:38 PM
BPHORSEGUY
Melting Slicks

Location: SUFFIELD CT USA 2023 C8 CORVETTE UN-MODIFIED FINALIST
Received 649 Likes on 347 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

LRP has days with no restrictions. Even on the restricted days my car and my buddies cars are very loud and no one has ever had a problem?

Get notified of new replies

To Lime Rock Noise Restrictions and Loudmouth

Quick Reply: Lime Rock Noise Restrictions and Loudmouth