C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Question(s) for those in Warm/Hot weather states....

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 09:14 AM
7even
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question(s) for those in Warm/Hot weather states....

Being new to the Vette all around, I have some questions as a Newb...

First, please be patient - this is a whole new experience for me with an '87 base coupe.

It has only been in the 60's here and the coolant temp readings seem to vary quite a bit. When driving, it's in the 180's but man, let me get stopped in traffic and I watch that baby rise like the morning sun....

I am not sure how much ambient temp effects the temp but, in the 60's, and yet it's risen to 225 and the fan have kicked in? I am just trying to imagine when it hits the 90's here in St. Louis, coupled with oppressive humidity, and I just cringing...

I am not a "handy man" and own enough tools to change a lightbulb. Not that I'm afraid to tinker, just have no experience.

Thoughts, suggestions, ideas - all are appreciated.

Thanks!

- Chase
Old 02-22-2017, 09:47 AM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

It sounds pretty normal to me. I live in Texas and 100 degree days are the norm for months at a time. Mine swings around 200ish but I put a chip in my system and the fans come on at 205 and go off at 200. The specs on my 91 LT5 call for the fans to come on a 238.

225 is within specs--a little high-- but normal. Our cars were designed to run a little hotter for emission control stuff.

Plus, our gauges are only approximates- you will need to shoot your system with a heat gun to be super accurate on your temps.

You will want to check your radiator/ac for blockage. Our cars are a giant vacuum on the roads. I swapped a leaky radiator a couple of weeks ago and was shock at the amount of junk (leaves, paper, cigarette buts, etc) trapped in the system. I also "Combed" out my radiator fins to remove 20 plus years of junk.

A fresh flush and new fluid can't hurt either.

You sound Ok to me

Last edited by billschroeder5842; 02-22-2017 at 09:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
7even (02-22-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 09:59 AM
7even
Advanced

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
It sounds pretty normal to me. I live in Texas and 100 degree days are the norm for months at a time. Mine swings around 200ish but I put a chip in my system and the fans come on at 205 and go off at 200. The specs on my 91 LT5 call for the fans to come on a 238.

225 is within specs--a little high-- but normal. Our cars were designed to run a little hotter for emission control stuff.

Plus, our gauges are only approximates- you will need to shoot your system with a heat gun to be super accurate on your temps.

You will want to check your radiator/ac for blockage. Our cars are a giant vacuum on the roads. I swapped a leaky radiator a couple of weeks ago and was shock at the amount of junk (leaves, paper, cigarette buts, etc) trapped in the system. I also "Combed" out my radiator fins to remove 20 plus years of junk.

A fresh flush and new fluid can't hurt either.

You sound Ok to me
Ah, much appreciated!

Others have talked about fluids and this is def on the agenda but, as a matter of reference, even as I researched online, I discovered that this was the place that I wanted to get info.

Thanks again for the input!
Old 02-22-2017, 10:23 AM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

If it gets to the point you just don't want to deal with the getting hot anymore, DeWitts sells a single core and even a dual core radiator that fixes this, according to all the posts where folks have replaced their radiators with one of DeWitts' radiators.

Do a search on DeWitts here in the tech forum and spend a bit of time reading.

I bought one of their dual core radiators during their recent sale. My car exhibited the same symptoms as yours and actually got so hot a couple times we turned on the heater (stuck in a traffic jam on the highway in 90+ temps so we were getting the heat from the pavement, the car ahead of us plus our own).

My radiator is also leaking. Discovered this yesterday after I moved it from being stored all winter. Ours is a low mileage car (13K miles) and the factory radiators are just not as good as the replacement ones on the market (regardless of make) as far as longevity is concerned (in my opinion).

Last edited by drcook; 02-22-2017 at 10:23 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:43 AM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by drcook
If it gets to the point you just don't want to deal with the getting hot anymore, DeWitts sells a single core and even a dual core radiator that fixes this, according to all the posts where folks have replaced their radiators with one of DeWitts' radiators.

I bought one of their dual core radiators during their recent sale. My car exhibited the same symptoms as yours and actually got so hot a couple times we turned on the heater (stuck in a traffic jam on the highway in 90+ temps so we were getting the heat from the pavement, the car ahead of us plus our own).

My radiator is also leaking. Discovered this yesterday after I moved it from being stored all winter. Ours is a low mileage car (13K miles) and the factory radiators are just not as good as the replacement ones on the market (regardless of make) as far as longevity is concerned (in my opinion).
One thing that you have to be aware of Corvettes are the Highways Vacuum Cleaner, So when you feel that your starting to run hot along with Checking the Coolant level & Protection You need to get a Flash Light and drive one side of the car up a curb and lay down if front of car, give a look up in front of Radiator/A/C Condenser make sure your free of leaves shopping bags & Dead Squirrels. Also find a spot were can see between the Rad & A/C (Right side Fan Shroud were A/C Condenser lines come out) make that's not blocked up between them to.

Last edited by s carter; 02-22-2017 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:59 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Your temp observations are normal. The thermostat doesn't open until 195F if its stock. Main fan should come on at 228F.

Before summer rolls around, it would be a good idea to remove the radiator shroud and clean the space between the condensor and radiator. It will be full of leaves and garbage.

Of course you can do things like install a better radiator, upgrade the WP, and change the thermostat if you're really bothered by it. You can also have the chip retuned to lower the fan setting. I have done all of these things myself.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:14 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Your good but a good idea to pull the radiator and clean it and the coils. They are big vacuum cleansers.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:47 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

It's always a good idea to tell us what year Corvette you have. Some of these suggestions are a bit radical, when there may be nothing wrong with your car! My radiator is original (240,000 miles) and I get almost no junk in the front of my radiator. I do check it occasionally, but I don't have many autumn leaves on my roads. My temperatures stay in the normal range, and my fan cycles on and off when I'm stuck in traffic, just as it should. And it does get warm in SoCal!

Basics are important! Are your fluid levels correct? Do you change your fluids and coolant regularly?

Old 02-23-2017, 03:25 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by s carter
Also find a spot were can see between the Rad & A/C (Right side Fan Shroud were A/C Condenser lines come out) make that's not blocked up between them to.
That only appllies to 1990 and after. Earlier cars don't have enough of an opening to see down in there.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:14 AM
GRIS
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

My '87 in Oklahoma summer: 187-189 on the highway w/ Dewitt two tube radiator. In town I have a manual fan switch but seldom have to use it unless stuck in traffic.

Last edited by GRIS; 02-23-2017 at 09:14 AM.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:52 PM
canenac
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what is best brand and type of coolant to use?
Old 02-25-2017, 08:38 PM
midlifecrisis1979
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

my 87 fan would cycle around 220 degrees. as for the fluids and radiator I never touched em and ran the clock up over 200k miles, but then again she wasn't a garage queen, I drove the wheels off.........
Old 02-26-2017, 01:33 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

you can lfush it use the plain ol green prestone dont need anything fancy

If you keep the stock radiator its not hard to pull the fans off (pulling the radiator even better). Hold it up over your head with some light behind it youll be shocked how plugged itgets between the fins same with the condenser. Blast it over and over with a water hose night and day difference. Being in Fla Id put in a 160 stat, drill a couple small holes on the outer body of it: get those fans coming on sooner ought to be ok. It will still creep up a little on hot days in slow traffic but shouldnt overheat
stock water pump is fine. If you got the coin the DeWitts setup is pretty sweet.

Those stock temps bake everything under the hood. Dont listen to the myths about it running cooler and suddenly wearing out wont happen.
Just dont run it hard when cold (common sense)

Last edited by cv67; 02-26-2017 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 03:07 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

The ambient temperature has less effect on the cooling system than does airflow across the radiator. In other words, any airflow will provide cooling to the system, no matter the ambient temp. So yes when you're not moving much the temp will spike pretty quickly, but it should also come back down pretty quickly when the fans come on at 228F. I usually turn on the AC (which triggers the cooling fans) when the temp hits 220F or thereabout. It only takes a minute for the temp to come down drastically.

Also some good suggestions for cooling system maintenance - take care of these items and you will be surprised how well the stock system works... when there is airflow

Last edited by DGXR; 02-27-2017 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:24 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by 7even
I am not sure how much ambient temp effects the temp but, in the 60's, and yet it's risen to 225 and the fan have kicked in? I am just trying to imagine when it hits the 90's here in St. Louis, coupled with oppressive humidity, and I just cringing...
How do you KNOW all this? I don't trust the gauges. Lets look at what the ECM thinks it is seeing and go from there. When it gets hot, pull over immediately and hit the radiator with an infra red thermometer and see whether it is hot at most spots and cold at one. Also, hit the sensor the ECM uses and see if it agrees with what the scanner says the ECM sees.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:53 PM
7even
Advanced

Originally Posted by drcook

My apologies for taking so long to reply!

Thanks for the info. I want to try and keep as much stock as I can, for a number of reasons but, I also confess that being new to Vettes, the learning curve is there when it comes to quirks, temperament and overall personality.

But I am going to check out DeWitts and again, thanks for the information!
Old 02-28-2017, 10:54 PM
7even
Advanced

Originally Posted by s carter
One thing that you have to be aware of Corvettes are the Highways Vacuum Cleaner, So when you feel that your starting to run hot along with Checking the Coolant level & Protection You need to get a Flash Light and drive one side of the car up a curb and lay down if front of car, give a look up in front of Radiator/A/C Condenser make sure your free of leaves shopping bags & Dead Squirrels. Also find a spot were can see between the Rad & A/C (Right side Fan Shroud were A/C Condenser lines come out) make that's not blocked up between them to.

I didn't know this about Vettes and I confess, seem to be learning something new everyday!

Thanks for taking the time to reply and share!

Get notified of new replies

To Question(s) for those in Warm/Hot weather states....

Old 02-28-2017, 11:08 PM
7even
Advanced

Originally Posted by vader86
Your temp observations are normal. The thermostat doesn't open until 195F if its stock. Main fan should come on at 228F.

Before summer rolls around, it would be a good idea to remove the radiator shroud and clean the space between the condensor and radiator. It will be full of leaves and garbage.

Of course you can do things like install a better radiator, upgrade the WP, and change the thermostat if you're really bothered by it. You can also have the chip retuned to lower the fan setting. I have done all of these things myself.

These things have been added to the list of other items that I want to address - thanks!
Old 02-28-2017, 11:09 PM
7even
Advanced

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
Your good but a good idea to pull the radiator and clean it and the coils. They are big vacuum cleansers.

I am not, and I admit this quite freely, in a position to pull anything out the car on my own right now. Not about fear but, locale and resources...

Thanks for the input!
Old 02-28-2017, 11:11 PM
7even
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
It's always a good idea to tell us what year Corvette you have. Some of these suggestions are a bit radical, when there may be nothing wrong with your car! My radiator is original (240,000 miles) and I get almost no junk in the front of my radiator. I do check it occasionally, but I don't have many autumn leaves on my roads. My temperatures stay in the normal range, and my fan cycles on and off when I'm stuck in traffic, just as it should. And it does get warm in SoCal!

Basics are important! Are your fluid levels correct? Do you change your fluids and coolant regularly?

Sorry for the oversight but, it's a 1987!

I have checked the levels and everything seems in line. And I have had the car almost two and still have some things that need to be addressed.

Thanks for the input!

Quick Reply: Question(s) for those in Warm/Hot weather states....