C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fog light/trunk release switch not lit

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 12:13 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Default Fog light/trunk release switch not lit

hi folks, I have tried my best and for some reason My fog light/trunk release switch does not light up with the rest of the dashboard. The bulb is new, (in fact the original bulb did not work either)I've tried both sides for polarity. I cannot find a diagram that shows the pin connections, and I've also done the 9v battery "hunt and peck"method. Hoping for some ideas?

Last edited by chasboy; 02-22-2017 at 12:14 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:09 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

Thanks! Looks to me that power applied to the first and last pin should illuminate the bulb?
Old 02-23-2017, 03:42 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
That is not how I read the diagrams.

Power applied to pin 7 illuminates the background lighting for the switches in question. Power to pin 1 is the toggled supply to the BCM which tells the BCM to operate the fog light relay (39 in the engine compartment fuse box) which in turn provides the power via fuse 2 in the engine compartment fuse box to illuminate the fogs. The background lighting of the two switches is not dependent on the fog lights actually being on, only the parking or head lights being on.

Although the diagrams don't show it, pin 8 has to go back to a ground somewhere in the IPC. If it did not then the background lights for the fog and trunk switches could never illuminate. Power supplied on one side of a bulb (load) without a corresponding path to ground on the other side of the bulb (load) means an incomplete electrical path.
Wonder why they omitted the ground pin in the plug ?
Old 02-23-2017, 12:25 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

That is not how I read the diagrams.

Power applied to pin 7 illuminates the background lighting for the switches in question. Power to pin 1 is the toggled supply to the BCM which tells the BCM to operate the fog light relay (39 in the engine compartment fuse box) which inturn provides the power via fuse 2 in the engine compartment fuse box to illuminate the fogs. The background lighting of the two switches is not dependent on the fog lights actually being on, only the parking or head lights being on.

Although the diagrams don't show it, pin 8 has to go back to a ground somewhere in the IPC. If it did not then the background lights for the fog and trunk switches could never illuminate. Power supplied on one side of a bulb (load) without a corresponding path to ground on the other side of the bulb (load) means an incomplete electrical path.
WOW! I really appreciate this! I have never been sure of myself with wiring diagrams. My interpretation of the pin designations led me to believe 8 was the one that lit up the button bulb. Shouldn't I get some kid of reading with my ohm meter?
Old 02-23-2017, 08:41 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

Because in my amateurish method of electrical analysis, I figured there must be a ground pin and power pin, and the ohmmeter would be completing the circuit?
Anyway you're referring to pin 7 on the plug, not the the switch?
Old 02-24-2017, 11:04 AM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

Pin 7 of the Fog/Hatch switch illumination bulb gets +12V when the Park or Headlamps are ON. The other side of the illumination bulb is Pin 8, which gets PWM pulsed connections to ground, by the Instrument cluster. The duty-cycle of the PWM pulses is determined by the dimmer **** setting : for example, for half bright illumination, the pulses are 50%, for full illumination, they are 100%.

1) Verify you have +12V at pin 7 when the park or headlights are ON.

2) Connecting pin 8 of the Fog/Hatch switch to ground should cause the bulb to be full brightness (the Park or headlamps must be on).

3) If the bulb lights, then check (ohm continuity) the wire from switch pin8 to the Instrument cluster connector C1 pin B5. If that wire is OK, then the Instrument Cluster has an internal failure of the power transistor that functions as the PWM switch connected to C1 Pin B5.

Last edited by ersatz928; 02-24-2017 at 11:07 AM.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:18 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

Thanks guys, after I read this about 12 more times and print it in large fonts, I will try everything you advise.! I'm also wondering if I'm misunderstanding when that bulb should be on. The DIC hud, and door switches light when I open the door. WHEN is this switch supposed to illuminate?
Old 02-26-2017, 07:04 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

We're getting closer guys! The fog light (amber) indicator works as normal. The background bulb does not illuminate in any situation.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:38 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

Two posters have told you to measure the voltage at PIN #7. What did it measure???????????? Needs to be battery voltage.
Haven't had the chance until today. Will post asap.

Get notified of new replies

To Fog light/trunk release switch not lit

Quick Reply: Fog light/trunk release switch not lit