C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

brakes

Old 02-22-2017, 05:05 PM
avoyer
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brakes 89 c4

what could cause no fluid to come out of left front brake line? I have replaced or rebuilt the calipers, I have replaced the master cylinder and I have totally flushed the system with new BF dot3. The MC was bled first before the calipers. Power booster works fine. this is a real stumper for me.

Last edited by avoyer; 02-22-2017 at 05:25 PM. Reason: add on
Old 02-22-2017, 06:12 PM
92ragtop
Melting Slicks

Received 202 Likes on 116 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)
2015 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by avoyer
what could cause no fluid to come out of left front brake line? I have replaced or rebuilt the calipers, I have replaced the master cylinder and I have totally flushed the system with new BF dot3. The MC was bled first before the calipers. Power booster works fine. this is a real stumper for me.
Blockage in the flex line or at the bleeder valve. Both would be the first places I'd check. If OK, perhaps there is a kink in the hard line to that wheel?
The following users liked this post:
avoyer (02-22-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 07:43 PM
avoyer
Cruising

I could detach flex line like u said. Will see. Hard line doesn't appear to be kinked, but not ruling anything out. Any direction is helpful. Thanks a bunch for reply.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:33 PM
barbedwiredave
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ABS pump
avoyer (02-23-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 08:52 PM
Bwbob
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was recently reading an older thread about particles in the valves in the ABS. A member commented on back flushing the system from the calipers using a master cylinder and a coupler. He claimed it needs high pressure to push crap out because it can get pushed in there hard from the top. Makes sense to me. The problem you describe is exactly what had started the thread
avoyer (02-23-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 10:13 PM
avoyer
Cruising

Originally Posted by Bwbob
I was recently reading an older thread about particles in the valves in the ABS. A member commented on back flushing the system from the calipers using a master cylinder and a coupler. He claimed it needs high pressure to push crap out because it can get pushed in there hard from the top. Makes sense to me. The problem you describe is exactly what had started the thread
I appreciate the input. in '89 some of the vettes had ABS & some did not. Mine did not. I found this out because of buying the original GM manual.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:29 PM
avoyer
Cruising

Originally Posted by 92ragtop
Blockage in the flex line or at the bleeder valve. Both would be the first places I'd check. If OK, perhaps there is a kink in the hard line to that wheel?
YOU r the winner & the man on this one. Once I removed all the crud & sprayed w cleaner, I removed the flex hose. I have an 80 gal compressor that could not blow through this line. I already ordered the one hose,but was not about to give up. I used fence wire to poke thru the gunk... no deal. After I sprayed carb cleaner in & poked some more, it freed up. Cleaned more getting good flow & opening. reinstalled & bled all wheels after flushng with air & new fluid. But, I'm expecting to replace all lines soon & redo the process however many times it takes to be just right. With your help I was determined & able to get a vette that sat for 10 years on the road today. I drove arond for 3 hours with no hiccups. WOW what a good feeling!
Old 02-24-2017, 08:42 AM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,272 Likes on 860 Posts

Originally Posted by avoyer
I appreciate the input. in '89 some of the vettes had ABS & some did not. Mine did not. I found this out because of buying the original GM manual.
All Vette's have had ABS since 86. Any manual telling you otherwise, is wrong.

Get notified of new replies

To brakes

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: brakes