C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

want to upgrade 87 brakes,need info

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 08:33 PM
bandit666
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default want to upgrade 87 brakes,need info

I'm going to be drag racing my 87 that I did a 383 stroker in,built 700r4 and a d44hd out of my 86 parts car.I'm hoping to be in the high 11s or low 12s and need to upgrade the brakes as I've smoked brand new stock ones a couple times doing a couple high speed stops.I've heard of guys using c5 brakes and am wondering what I'll need and where to get the parts.Cost is a concern as I am about out of money for this build.Added info,I have 96 GS 17" wheels.Thanks to anyone that can help.

Last edited by bandit666; 02-23-2017 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:45 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Here you go, resources, how tos, etc

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...e+conversion&*
The following users liked this post:
bandit666 (02-23-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 10:16 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I did a C5 front brake upgrade some years ago on my '87 coupe. I wanted better braking for autocross and track days. As I recall, the cost of the upgrade at the time (2007) was around $700. You will need an adapter bracket (there is a specific one for 85-87 cars) a pair of C5 calipers, rotors, pads and a new brake bias spring. Also some DOT4 fluid.

The original master cylinder works fine but the brake bias spring needs to be installed in there. It can be done on the car with no fluid loss You can use 85-87-style C4 stainess flex lines and they will fit the C5 calipers.

I used a stock-style C5 rotor simply because of the price and many people here say that many of the aftermarket drilled and slotted rotors really do not provide that much. But use good quality rotors!! I have very good luck with Raybestos Advanced Technology rotors and also AC Delco Professional Grade ones. Note that is no difference between the base C5 calipers and the Z06 calipers except color.

Pad selection is important for stopping power. You will want a good semi-metallic pad that will work at low to medium temps for drag racing or spirited driving. Hawk HPS pads should work for you . The Hawk HP+ pad will also work, but they need some heat in them to really grab. They squeal when cold and will give off lots of dust. Also look at CarboTech brakes.

The big drawback to a C5 front upgrade is wheels. You will need a 17" diameter wheel to clear the C5 caliper! There are ZR-1 stye 17x9.5 wheels available with the proper 38mm offset for your '87. The 275/40-17 tire is nearly identical in dimension to the OEM 255/50-16 tire.

Vette Brakes has a C5 front conversion kit that will have all the pieces you need. Don't bother with any changes to the rear brakes except for good rotors and the same pad type and compound. You will need the rear bias spring so that the rears won't lock up on you during medium braking.
bandit666 (02-23-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 10:27 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
I did a C5 front brake upgrade some years ago on my '87 coupe. I wanted better braking for autocross and track days. As I recall, the cost of the upgrade at the time (2007) was around $700. You will need an adapter bracket (there is a specific one for 85-87 cars) a pair of C5 calipers, rotors, pads and a new brake bias spring. Also some DOT4 fluid.

The original master cylinder works fine but the brake bias spring needs to be installed in there. It can be done on the car with no fluid loss You can use 85-87-style C4 stainess flex lines and they will fit the C5 calipers.

I used a stock-style C5 rotor simply because of the price and many people here say that many of the aftermarket drilled and slotted rotors really do not provide that much. But use good quality rotors!! I have very good luck with Raybestos Advanced Technology rotors and also AC Delco Professional Grade ones. Note that is no difference between the base C5 calipers and the Z06 calipers except color.

Pad selection is important for stopping power. You will want a good semi-metallic pad that will work at low to medium temps for drag racing or spirited driving. Hawk HPS pads should work for you . The Hawk HP+ pad will also work, but they need some heat in them to really grab. They squeal when cold and will give off lots of dust. Also look at CarboTech brakes.

The big drawback to a C5 front upgrade is wheels. You will need a 17" diameter wheel to clear the C5 caliper! There are ZR-1 stye 17x9.5 wheels available with the proper 38mm offset for your '87. The 275/40-17 tire is nearly identical in dimension to the OEM 255/50-16 tire.

Vette Brakes has a C5 front conversion kit that will have all the pieces you need. Don't bother with any changes to the rear brakes except for good rotors and the same pad type and compound. You will need the rear bias spring so that the rears won't lock up on you during medium braking.
great info I would look at the Carbotech AX6 pads for stopping power.

Carbotech™ AX6™

The AX6™ is specifically engineered for Autocross applications. A high torque brake compound delivering reliable and consistent performance over a very wide operating temperature range of 50°F to 1000°F + (10°C to 537°C+). The advanced compound matrix provides an excellent initial bite, high coefficient of friction at lower temperatures along with very progressive brake modulation and release characteristics. Many drivers use the AX6™ for street driving as well, even though Carbotech™ doesn't recommend street driving with AX6™ due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise. AX6™ is NOT recommended as a race compound in most applications.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
bandit666 (02-23-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 11:17 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I have the C5 Z06 brakes, one of the best changes I've made to the car. The stock Girling brakes are no comparison really.

As stated, you'll need the larger front wheels to clear calipers. 5-spoke ZR1/GS style wheels will clear and are in your offset. I had these first, but now use C6 wheels with the correct offset.

You will need to buy the bracket for the C5 brakes made for 84-87 cars, then buy the rest of the kit to convert. Bracket cost me about $150. Basically the only thing you will need specifically for your year is the brake lines themselves, everything else is a C5 part. I went with Stainless Steel lines for about $100 I think.

The bias spring is a good idea, not strictly necessary, but good to do. Doug Rippie makes it. Its cheap.

The rest is going to come down to pad choice. I stick with PF brake pads in most cars. I think the whole conversion cost around $650-700.

Last edited by vader86; 02-23-2017 at 11:19 AM.
bandit666 (02-23-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 11:24 AM
bandit666
Advanced

Originally Posted by c4cruiser

Great info,thanks! What bias springs do I get?
Old 02-23-2017, 12:18 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by bandit666
Doug Rippie Motorsports has them for either ABS-equipped cars or non-ABS. You want the ABS version. Cost should be around $25 or so.
bandit666 (02-23-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 01:53 PM
Ray Quayle
- 1986 Original Owner -

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I have a set of C5Z06 front calipers, pads, drilled/slotted rotors and adapter brackets for bolting on to '85-'87 C4. Brand new, never fitted to car. $700 plus shipping.

bandit666 (02-23-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 11:34 PM
bandit666
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ray Quayle
I have a set of C5Z06 front calipers, pads, drilled/slotted rotors and adapter brackets for bolting on to '85-'87 C4. Brand new, never fitted to car. $700 plus shipping.

Thanks for the offer,but there are a couple wrecked c5s out my way here in the upstate n.y. area that I know I can rape and pillage for cheap.As for the brackets I'm going to make them.Got all the measurements.Thanks again.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:25 AM
Ray Quayle
- 1986 Original Owner -

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Thanks for the offer,but there are a couple wrecked c5s out my way here in the upstate n.y. area that I know I can rape and pillage for cheap.As for the brackets I'm going to make them.Got all the measurements.Thanks again.
Hey, no problem. Let us know how you make out.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:08 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

could you share the measurements? i would fab something like this up as well. cheers.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:57 AM
bandit666
Advanced

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
could you share the measurements? i would fab something like this up as well. cheers.
google this:c4 corvette to c5 brake upgrade bracket measurements then click on the picture of the bracket shaped kind of like a boomerang and scroll down,There is a diagram and lots of info.

Last edited by bandit666; 02-24-2017 at 09:43 PM. Reason: new info
Old 02-25-2017, 06:08 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

I'm going to be drag racing my 87 that I did a 383 stroker in,built 700r4 and a d44hd out of my 86 parts car.I'm hoping to be in the high 11s or low 12s and need to upgrade the brakes as I've smoked brand new stock ones a couple times doing a couple high speed stops.I've heard of guys using c5 brakes and am wondering what I'll need and where to get the parts.Cost is a concern as I am about out of money for this build.Added info,I have 96 GS 17" wheels.Thanks to anyone that can help.
Hi

As long as you have fresh brake fluid, you should have no problem with the stock brake callipers.

Corvette central have Hawk HP Plus brake pads, they will handle the heat no problem. I track my car regularly and with Hawk HP Plus brake pads i did not run into any brake problems.

Friction is what does the stopping, standard brake pads will smoke and turn into powder as you mentioned.

I upgraded to the J55 88-96 callipers after many years of track use of the standard calipers, they were dirt cheap and wanted to put 13 inch discs on the car for looks mainly.

As mentioned you need to change the master cylinder bias spring if upgrading front callipers, or the rears will lock before front.

Link to Hawk HP plus brake pads below.

http://www.parts123.com/corvettecent...50f&ukey=19672

Last edited by gerardvg; 02-25-2017 at 06:10 AM.
bandit666 (02-25-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 07:57 AM
bandit666
Advanced

Originally Posted by gerardvg
Hi

As long as you have fresh brake fluid, you should have no problem with the stock brake callipers.

Corvette central have Hawk HP Plus brake pads, they will handle the heat no problem. I track my car regularly and with Hawk HP Plus brake pads i did not run into any brake problems.

Friction is what does the stopping, standard brake pads will smoke and turn into powder as you mentioned.

I upgraded to the J55 88-96 callipers after many years of track use of the standard calipers, they were dirt cheap and wanted to put 13 inch discs on the car for looks mainly.

As mentioned you need to change the master cylinder bias spring if upgrading front callipers, or the rears will lock before front.

Link to Hawk HP plus brake pads below.

http://www.parts123.com/corvettecent...50f&ukey=19672
When going to the J55 calipers and 13" rotors I'm assuming you still had to get brackets to mount them to the stock mounting holes,correct?What else did you need for the conversion and what was the total cost approximately?
Old 02-25-2017, 10:49 PM
Gibbles
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 151 Posts

I also did the C5 front brake conversion, bias spring to boost the rear brakes.

I made my own conversion bracket, early C4s are pretty simple.

I think the bracket cost me about $20 to make, including a drill bit purchase...

I bought some used calipers off of ebay for something like $130 shipped, and then another $20 for the bias spring.

Huge difference!

Last edited by Gibbles; 02-25-2017 at 10:49 PM.
bandit666 (02-26-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 01:57 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

When going to the J55 calipers and 13" rotors I'm assuming you still had to get brackets to mount them to the stock mounting holes,correct?What else did you need for the conversion and what was the total cost approximately?
Hi they came with the adapters for 84-87, total cost $170.
Sometimes .. very rarely... you can grab a bargain on ebay.

Found this on an old post..

Last edited by gerardvg; 02-26-2017 at 02:10 AM.
bandit666 (02-26-2017)
Old 04-28-2020, 09:46 AM
dakleenupman
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16
Default Old thread... I know

Originally Posted by gerardvg
Hi they came with the adapters for 84-87, total cost $170.
Sometimes .. very rarely... you can grab a bargain on ebay.

Found this on an old post..

hello sir! Would you have this type of diagram for the J55 plates or still have any adapter plates lying around for the J55 conversion on 84-87 model years?

chris

Get notified of new replies

To want to upgrade 87 brakes,need info

Quick Reply: want to upgrade 87 brakes,need info