C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] What is the secret to headlight switch?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 09:42 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Default What is the secret to headlight switch?

I can't get the **** to catch reinstalling it. I remember having this problem before but don't remember how to get it to hook up.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:53 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

Is it a triangle stem? I don't recall, but it seems that it has to be rotated the right way to catch, but it has been many many MANY years since I messed with it.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:02 PM
62corvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 663 Likes on 472 Posts

I've had that happen--I've pushed the spring-loaded button on the bottom that you use to release it, and it's helped getting it back in. Good luck
Old 02-22-2017, 10:05 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

IIRC you have to take the switch out of the dash reinsert the **** and shaft it should catch. Pull the **** ALL the way out before pressing the release button. Then press the button and smoothly slide out the shaft. Leave the switch like that and reinstall it in the dash. Once in shove the **** and shaft in firmly and it should catch.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:17 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Originally Posted by Aerovette
Is it a triangle stem? I don't recall, but it seems that it has to be rotated the right way to catch, but it has been many many MANY years since I messed with it.
Yes, triangle variety.

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
IIRC you have to take the switch out of the dash reinsert the **** and shaft it should catch. Pull the **** ALL the way out before pressing the release button. Then press the button and smoothly slide out the shaft. Leave the switch like that and reinstall it in the dash. Once in shove the **** and shaft in firmly and it should catch.
I'm hooking it up with the cluster out to test my Detroit Speed headlight set up. I'm thinking I may need to take it apart and reset the mechanism. It just slides in and out - no catching. I've tried wiggling it, messing with the button, pressing hard, swearing amd praying.

I'll try it again tomorrow. If I recall, in the past it would do this and then, mysteriously suddenly catch. Worst case scenario, I'll just buy a new one...
Old 02-23-2017, 07:30 PM
fredski
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Switch

Had same problem. Kept pulling it out and rotate a bit and push in.
Took about 5 minutes messing with it and it did engage.
Using excess force is not needed.
Fred

Last edited by fredski; 02-23-2017 at 07:31 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:49 AM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 885 Likes on 634 Posts

FWIW, the switch slider (inside the switch housing) needs to be in the headlights "on" position, all the way out, for the spring loaded release button on the bottom of the housing to work. The release button won't engage the latch on the switch slider in any other slider position.

It is difficult, almost impossible, to reinstall the **** in the slider without being able to use the release button to open the latch. If you've accidentally pushed the slider in, you may or may not be able to reinstall the ****.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:27 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Holy crap. I finally got it in. Now I can't get it out.

Edit: I figured it out. Frankie for the win. Pull it out THEN push button. Whew.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:02 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by SnakePlisken
Holy crap. I finally got it in. Now I can't get it out.

Edit: I figured it out. Frankie for the win. Pull it out THEN push button. Whew.
Good for you...the Detroit Speed electronic headlight motor conversion is one of the best mods for our cars on the market

Get notified of new replies

To What is the secret to headlight switch?

Quick Reply: [C2] What is the secret to headlight switch?