Sponsored by:

Lots of used C7 Z06's around here

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 03:41 AM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Lots of used C7 Z06's around here

Just looking at Cars.com, and I see 43 used C7 Z06s within 250 miles of where I live in southwest Georgia. Most have only several thousand miles, and several have less than one thousand. That seems like a lot for such a highly prized car.

There was also five used Grand Sports with under one thousand miles, two with under ten miles between them (two and five).

It's just surprising that people will spend that kind of money for cars and then decide to sell them so soon. Don't they do any research? Are the cars that disappointing to actually own?

BTW, there were zero used 2014 C7s in the listings. That's interesting for entirely different reasons.

Last edited by WelderGuy; 02-23-2017 at 03:47 AM.

Popular Reply

02-23-2017, 05:23 AM
L8ter
Melting Slicks

Received 929 Likes on 522 Posts

Probably scare the bejeezus out of a few folks that buy them.
I don't think I would want one in my garage if had a young driver in the house either.

Then there's always the real cost of ownership.
The first ticket at 20, or 30, or 40 MPH over.
The wife that says "YOU BOUGHT WHAT?".
The insurance company that doubles you rates, after running the Vin #.
People find out tires are expensive, and they don't last long.
Those brakes are going to cost how much?

Car runs hot, or so they say on the internet. Better get out soon.

I thought it was a good idea at the time, but it's not that practical.
Realize it's like carrying a 44 magnum, with an 8" barrel, for your EDC.

Spent nearly a hundred grand on a car, and find out the dealership still treats you like you bought a Chevy.
Spent a nearly a hundred grand on a car, and find out the dealership doesn't really now how to work on it.

Lot of reasons, pick one or make up some of your own.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:41 AM
OneGrand1
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WelderGuy
Just looking at Cars.com, and I see 43 used C7 Z06s within 250 miles of where I live in southwest Georgia. Most have only several thousand miles, and several have less than one thousand. That seems like a lot for such a highly prized car.

There was also five used Grand Sports with under one thousand miles, two with under ten miles between them (two and five).

It's just surprising that people will spend that kind of money for cars and then decide to sell them so soon. Don't they do any research? Are the cars that disappointing to actually own?

BTW, there were zero used 2014 C7s in the listings. That's interesting for entirely different reasons.
Lots of Dealers dumping inventory. I have a Mercedes dealer in my area that give brand new cars to the staff to drive then title them so they can re sell them as used and avoid gas guzzler taxes and higher sales taxes.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:23 AM
L8ter
Melting Slicks

Received 929 Likes on 522 Posts

I don't think I would want one in my garage if had a young driver in the house either.

Spent nearly a hundred grand on a car, and find out the dealership still treats you like you bought a Chevy.
Spent a nearly a hundred grand on a car, and find out the dealership doesn't really now how to work on it.

The following 14 users liked this post by L8ter:
2fastnow (03-08-2017), Crossed Flags Fan (03-08-2017), Gonzo (03-07-2017), Hamirvette (02-24-2017), John Micheal Henry (02-24-2017), kenownr (02-24-2017), Landru (02-23-2017), N2DEEP (03-09-2017), Rebel Yell (02-24-2017), Red C8 of Jax (02-23-2017), serpent (07-18-2017), SterlingDrive (03-09-2017), Z06Shark (02-23-2017), ZenicaPA (02-23-2017) and 9 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-23-2017, 06:04 AM
JenFZ09
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

What kinds of prices are you seeing?
Old 02-23-2017, 06:10 AM
familyman's C7
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

They can't handle the power and/or the cost of ownership.
The following users liked this post:
Landru (02-23-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 06:12 AM
Jackie Chan
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

The cars with a few hundred miles or less are mostly gm company cars. Ive been watching quite a few grand sports run through the gm closed sales the last 2 weeks
Old 02-23-2017, 08:02 AM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

This is true of many sports cars. I think with the Z06:
- For some it is just too much car
- For some, they have the money to constantly be flipping cars for the "next one"
- Some of this is just a numbers game. They made and sold a crap ton of Z06's. You are seeing what seems like a lot because of the volume sold. It's not a rare car.
- Some people may have stretched to get one and can't afford it (I bet this is a small minority).

I have a Z51, and the story with my car was that the guy bought it brand new less than 11 months ago and traded in a Suburban for it. Drove it 8 months and traded it back in on a new Suburban. Car only had 2K miles on it. He told the dealer it was just way too much car for him.

Last edited by thill444; 02-23-2017 at 08:04 AM.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:15 AM
RicardoFors68
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 153 Posts

For the sake of clarification and personal education; when talking about cost of ownership from the maintenance point, is the Z06 that much more expensive than a GS?
Tires will wear out according to driving style and frequency, that's a given. But what else are we talking abiut here?
Stand to reason that when I go get a Z06 that there are plenty of cars to choose from in the used world.. Let the original owner deal with depreciation, etc.
I dont need the dealer carrying me from the car to the lobby, it is a chevy after all. Maybe if Corvette separates themselves from the Chevy marquee like Cadillac, maybe then...
Old 02-23-2017, 08:20 AM
Joe_Omega
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

There is a huge difference in buying a car and affording a car. Let's face it almost anyone can buy a Vette of any trim level but the higher trim level you go the more it costs to maintain it. Not only the cost of tires, insurance and such as others have mentioned, but then there is the cost of time it takes to keep it in pristine condition and retain its value.

When challenged by all the costs both monetary and time I think it truly separates the passionate owner willing and capable of paying those associated costs from all the rest. Just my two cents.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:38 AM
VettinFan
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

Lets be honest. Once the excitement has worn off a lot of folks realize they just can't afford the car. I'm blown away when I see the huge monthly payments some of these guy dish out, not to mention insurance and upkeep. No one wants to tell the world that they can't afford the car so your gonna hear a lot of reasons for selling.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:52 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Not unusual or surprising. However it does make for interesting reading on all the opinions of what is happening to the marketplace, etc.
Rebel Yell (02-24-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 09:17 AM
KWC6
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by L8ter

Old 02-23-2017, 09:18 AM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

It starts at the top and flows downhill. The more Z06's on the used market is followed by GS owners who want to move into a ZO6. Then the Coupe owners get in the ballgame because some want to move into a GS.

IMO 75% or more of Z06 owners will never track their cars and after a few stabs on the throttle realize the car has way more power they can use on the street. It makes for an expensive garage queen just to claim bragging rights. Coming from a supercharged C6 Grand Sport I can attest the power is over kill for the street. I couldnt even floor my car without breaking the speed limit.
The following 2 users liked this post by Snowwolfe:
beaversstonehaven (03-08-2017), thill444 (02-23-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 09:18 AM
funz06
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

I am just guessing, but I think we see more Z06's for sale now because they just sold a lot of the C7 Z06's. I bet most of the people selling their low mileage Z06 are the same ones that will be the 1st to buy the mid engine car (some probably already have their names on some dealer's list) and ZR1. There is a ton of money out there, and to many buying a new corvette every year or two is nothing to them---be it a Z06, GS, Stingray, etc. Then there are folks like me----one and done---this is my last corvette purchase as age becomes more of a factor.
John Micheal Henry (02-24-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 09:23 AM
ZEEEE06
Safety Car

Location: PERCUSSIVE MAINTENANCE: The art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work.
Received 741 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by VettinFan
Once the excitement has worn off.
Huh? I don't think the excitement wears off in a C7Z.
The following 3 users liked this post by ZEEEE06:
Lenman59 (03-07-2017), MikeyTX (03-08-2017), ZenicaPA (02-23-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 09:52 AM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
It starts at the top and flows downhill. The more Z06's on the used market is followed by GS owners who want to move into a ZO6. Then the Coupe owners get in the ballgame because some want to move into a GS.

IMO 75% or more of Z06 owners will never track their cars and after a few stabs on the throttle realize the car has way more power they can use on the street. It makes for an expensive garage queen just to claim bragging rights. Coming from a supercharged C6 Grand Sport I can attest the power is over kill for the street. I couldnt even floor my car without breaking the speed limit.
I honestly think this has more to do with it than people who can't afford them.

Look at the number of low mileage Hellcat's and GTR's out there as well. It's not just a Z06 thing, I think people buy these cars and they literally get scared driving them.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:37 AM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by thill444
I honestly think this has more to do with it than people who can't afford them.

Look at the number of low mileage Hellcat's and GTR's out there as well. It's not just a Z06 thing, I think people buy these cars and they literally get scared driving them.
I have to admit I have been tempted to go to a Z but wondering if the car will end up scaring the hell out of me. A casual friend of mine bought one shortly after they came out and sold it within a couple of months, he said the car scared him, went to a P 911 turbo.

Anyway I keep looking, the right deal at the right time and I'd give one a try.

I do think some people are selling to free up some cash for the latest and greatest, Zora or ZR1,

Last edited by cheapthrills; 02-23-2017 at 10:38 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Lots of used C7 Z06's around here

Old 02-23-2017, 11:00 AM
yeller z06
Burning Brakes

Received 350 Likes on 205 Posts

I suspect a lot of people buy sports cars on a whim. After a few months of making payments and not driving it very much, it gets dumped. You see it a lot with Porsche.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:27 AM
Bob Z.
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I think there are people that read about how good the car is but after driving it they are not happy enough with it to keep it so it is best to sell and move on, which I have done several times in the past. And I cannot see someone spending a lot of money and then selling it because they cannot afford it, especially after a thousand or so miles because at that point they have not yet spent money on tires, etc.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:32 AM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

It's bonus season, most were paid by end of January, but will continue to get paid out until the end of March so that the company can claim it against last year's $$'s.

I know that I get a bit of "spend fever" in the first quarter of the year, but I certainly don't buy a $100k car and then dump it. But then again, my bonus is far lower than the finance guy's.

So part of the availability is people swapping out the old for the new because they can. (not saying it's all of the reason, just a part of it)

Quick Reply: Lots of used C7 Z06's around here