Starter motor?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 12:24 PM
Jim Harmon
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Starter motor?

Hi

I went out to jump in and drive away the other day and when I turned the key everything seemed fine until I went to crank it - then heard what sounded like a ball peen hammer hitting an anvil (not loud) and the car went dead. Tried it again - car is dead like a totally dead battery.

Charged the battery - again same thing.

Car was running fine the previous day.

Is this just the starter motor shorting the battery out? Or the solenoid or something?

Thank you! Love the C5!
Jim
Old 02-23-2017, 01:49 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

When my starter went out the car was completely dead when you tried to crank it. Your situation doesn't sound like a starter, rather a battery with insufficient cranking power.

Edit, here is how mine acted before I replaced the starter. Never had an issue again after it was replaced.

Last edited by Black 02; 02-23-2017 at 01:50 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Black 02:
tommie (02-24-2017), Z06ster (02-25-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 06:39 PM
tommie
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

just replaced my starter today... it was doing the same as black 02, not all the time, but after driving (sometimes..) i went ahead and replaced the starter before it started acting up more.

the new starter sounds better and seems to spin the engine over easier..
Old 02-25-2017, 10:53 AM
Z06ster
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 87 Posts

Not to derail the OP's original thread but I wanted to inject a related question...I really appreciate Black02' video. About a week ago, I got some gas and when I attempted to start the car, there was not a sound. Although they say insanity is repeating the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome, but in my case, at the gas station, I sat there and continued to try starting the car. After 5 minutes or so, the car started right up... so I believe I do have a starter problem. My question is if anyone knows... can a starter stop working intermittently before it goes out for good?

Last edited by Z06ster; 02-25-2017 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:56 AM
Jim Harmon
Intermediate

Thanks for the replies.

This is not a daily driver (especially in winter when it leaks like a sieve), and the date on the battery was 11/11, so I bought a brand new gel Die Hard ($200!).

I was sure this would nail it but - bam! Same exact thing. It took the brand new battery down to 0 volts. I guess that ices it - the armature must be stuck, shorting out the circuit.

Is the starter easy enough to R&R on the driveway? I don't normally wrench on this car but otherwise I would have to have it towed.

What is a good replacement choice for a '99 FRC?

Thanks again for the comments. I appreciate it

Jim
Old 02-25-2017, 11:05 AM
beboggled
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

I've had the same problem in the past intermittently. Found out one of my battery terminal bolts (side post) were corroded even though it looked not bad. Replaced them for a few bucks (any auto store has them) and it starts right up now without issue.

Start checking the easiest stuff first.
The following users liked this post:
Jim Harmon (04-11-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 10:28 AM
Jim Harmon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by beboggled
I've had the same problem in the past intermittently. Found out one of my battery terminal bolts (side post) were corroded even though it looked not bad. Replaced them for a few bucks (any auto store has them) and it starts right up now without issue.

Start checking the easiest stuff first.
beboggled - Thank you!
I had no idea about the potential discontinuity at that side terminal connection. Turns out, just as you indicated, I had a corroded positive terminal bolt (corrosion inside the boot out of view) and it was an intermittent contact! $5 fixed it.

Love my old C5 FRC. Love the forum! You guys are the best.
Thanks again beboggled!!
Jim
Old 04-11-2017, 02:37 PM
calguy
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 96 Posts

I just went through this last week.
Replaced battery, then took the starter out and had it bench tested.
The starter failed, so I bought a new one.
After all that work removing it, and installing it, still nothing when I turned the key.
The ignition switch was the culprit.
Replaced it, and car starts up every time..
Check the ignition switch.

How I found out it was the switch was easy.
When I tried to start it, and nothing, I turned the key on and off three or four times, and the engine started.

Shut it off, and nothing.
Once again, turned the key on and off a couple of times, and it started right up.

Bob.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:12 PM
BRKLYN
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 69 Posts

Mine acted up twice, thought it was battery, replaced starter 04/16, cars fine ever after.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:15 PM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06ster
Not to derail the OP's original thread but I wanted to inject a related question...I really appreciate Black02' video. About a week ago, I got some gas and when I attempted to start the car, there was not a sound. Although they say insanity is repeating the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome, but in my case, at the gas station, I sat there and continued to try starting the car. After 5 minutes or so, the car started right up... so I believe I do have a starter problem. My question is if anyone knows... can a starter stop working intermittently before it goes out for good?
Yes
Old 04-11-2017, 09:53 PM
glbeauchamp
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Hubbard
I just went through this last week.
Replaced battery, then took the starter out and had it bench tested.
The starter failed, so I bought a new one.
After all that work removing it, and installing it, still nothing when I turned the key.
The ignition switch was the culprit.
Replaced it, and car starts up every time..
Check the ignition switch.

How I found out it was the switch was easy.
When I tried to start it, and nothing, I turned the key on and off three or four times, and the engine started.

Shut it off, and nothing.
Once again, turned the key on and off a couple of times, and it started right up.

Bob.
My wife's Grand Prix , which is lucky to have 300 miles put on a year, did the same thing. Wouldn't start for three or four tries, then did. Finally it wouldn't start at all except by jumping the starter. New ignition switch did the trick.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:37 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

When you hear the pinging of the starter it means one of two items, usually a battery with less than 12.5V can cause the problem of insufficient voltage and the slow tuning of the starter. However it is usually less than 10.5V for this to happen. The more common problem is the solenoid in the starter is worn and needs replacing. While you can remove the exhaust and access the starter as stated above, I would replace the starter with the newer (Truck) starter using two long bolts rather than on long and one short. Two many C5 owners have ended with the dreaded cracked starter boss where the shorter bolt threads in.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:40 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06ster
Yes, that's exactly how it happened with my car. It would start fine in the morning but when the car was hot, it would be dead upon the attempted restart. It first started happening to me on my lunch breaks at work, quite frustrating

Get notified of new replies

To Starter motor?

Quick Reply: Starter motor?