C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] 62 Fuel injected mechanic in Texas

Old 02-23-2017, 01:10 PM
All-Tex
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Default 62 Fuel injected mechanic in Texas

I just purchased a 62 Fuel Injected big brake car.
i have not worked on Fuel Injected before and it is running real rich. I live in Lubbock Texas and was wondering if any one new who could work on it.
i can take it to Dallas or Austin but don't want to just take to any one.
Thanks for the help.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:56 PM
62corvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 663 Likes on 472 Posts

If it is running really rich, you might start by getting and installing a new cranking signal valve. Easily changed out, and often the cause.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:05 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Start the engine and then pinch off the vacuum source to the CSV. If your engine smooths out, the CSV is your problem.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:18 PM
Todd H.
Drifting

Received 423 Likes on 249 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared))
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared)

The mechanical fuel injection systems on old Corvettes are not extremely complicated, but an amateur without proper information in hand can really screw it up. Glad you are determined to find someone knowledgable.

I don't know of anyone who works on FI in Texas (though there might be someone), but if you are reasonably handy you might be able to tune it yourself if you have a proper guide. I suggest Bill Thomas' "Corvette V8 1955-1962 Complete Owner's Handbook". I just saw a copy on Amazon for $16.

If your unit needs more than tuning, consult a real expert. Some of them are on this forum. Guys like Jerry Bramlett and Jim Lockwood. John DeGregory is another really good choice, but I don't think he's on CF. He's on the NCRS forum a lot.

Care to tell us anymore about your big brake FI '62?
Old 02-23-2017, 02:21 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by All-Tex
I just purchased a 62 Fuel Injected big brake car.
i have not worked on Fuel Injected before and it is running real rich. I live in Lubbock Texas and was wondering if any one new who could work on it.
i can take it to Dallas or Austin but don't want to just take to any one.
Thanks for the help.
Well forum member Tom Parsons is a good one and he lives near you (By Texas terms) in Moore, OK.......which is "North" Texas
Old 02-23-2017, 02:48 PM
Todd H.
Drifting

Received 423 Likes on 249 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared))
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared)

Tom is an excellent resource on FI. Plus he knows big brakes and everything else about solid axle Corvettes (notice I didn't say C1s).
Old 02-23-2017, 03:54 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,766 Likes on 1,669 Posts
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Todd H.
--------------------------------------- (notice I didn't say C1s).
You done good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The above information regarding the cranking signal valve as the first place to look is excellent advice.
The cranking signal valve is located on the enrichment housing on the fuel meter. It has a tiny, delicate diaphragm inside, and if the diaphragm has a hole or is ruptured, that causes to unit to go to full rich.

These are cranking signal valves. If yours is bad, DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT buy a new or NOS valve!!!!! They were discontinued MANY years ago from GM and consequently, any NOS valve has sat on a shelf for a long time and should no be trusted. THERE IS ONE PERSON IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA (Frank Antonicelli) who sells them on an exchange basis. You send in your old one and get a rebuilt one in exchange-------------------HE STANDS BEHIND THEM!!!!!!!!!! (oh ya, I almost forgot, they ain't cheap---------------but then, nothing for these old FI units is cheap!)

And this is where it is located on a 62 unit.

I'm sending you a PM----------------------because the information is NOT proper for the public forum.

Last edited by DZAUTO; 02-23-2017 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:25 PM
All-Tex
Instructor

Originally Posted by MikeM
Start the engine and then pinch off the vacuum source to the CSV. If your engine smooths out, the CSV is your problem.
i will try this when I get back from traveling with work.
thanks
Old 02-24-2017, 04:29 PM
All-Tex
Instructor

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Well forum member Tom Parsons is a good one and he lives near you (By Texas terms) in Moore, OK.......which is "North" Texas
i would like to talk to him.
Yea WAY north.😂
Old 02-24-2017, 04:37 PM
All-Tex
Instructor

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
You done good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The above information regarding the cranking signal valve as the first place to look is excellent advice.
The cranking signal valve is located on the enrichment housing on the fuel meter. It has a tiny, delicate diaphragm inside, and if the diaphragm has a hole or is ruptured, that causes to unit to go to full rich.

Thanks
Tha
These are cranking signal valves. If yours is bad, DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT buy a new or NOS valve!!!!! They were discontinued MANY years ago from GM and consequently, any NOS valve has sat on a shelf for a long time and should no be trusted. THERE IS ONE PERSON IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA (Frank Antonicelli) who sells them on an exchange basis. You send in your old one and get a rebuilt one in exchange-------------------HE STANDS BEHIND THEM!!!!!!!!!! (oh ya, I almost forgot, they ain't cheap---------------but then, nothing for these old FI units is cheap!)

And this is where it is located on a 62 unit.

I'm sending you a PM----------------------because the information is NOT proper for the public forum.
Thanks for the info how do I contact Frank
Old 02-24-2017, 04:39 PM
All-Tex
Instructor

Originally Posted by Todd H.
Tom is an excellent resource on FI. Plus he knows big brakes and everything else about solid axle Corvettes (notice I didn't say C1s).
I would like to talk to him about the big brake car.
i am trying to find out about the big brake cars.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:19 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by All-Tex
I would like to talk to him about the big brake car.
i am trying to find out about the big brake cars.
Click on his Forum name. His contact info will drop down with his e-mail address. Good luck. He is a very good (and knowlegable) guy.

Get notified of new replies

To 62 Fuel injected mechanic in Texas

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [C1] 62 Fuel injected mechanic in Texas