C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xpel Ultimate vs Suntek vs Suntek Ultra vs...

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 11:06 PM
L1FRDOG
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 186 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Xpel Ultimate vs Suntek vs Suntek Ultra vs...

My Friends, This post is some what lengthy, buy I need to establish some logic, "Before I make some statements about PPF products.

Everyday I learn more and more about our wonderful cars. I learn about Brakes, Torque converters (even though I have a M7), Waxes, Sealants, Coatings and PPF (aka Clear bra), and the list simply goes on and on. I have learned about many of these things from right here on Corvette Forum, but there are others. I never trust just one site, I always work to perform my due diligence and gain a thorough understanding of the subject (especially if it is something I am contemplating doing, working with, or just plain expending resources on (Read Time, & Money).

I have learned over the years (mostly from my work in the Navy that just because many people say the same thing does not mean that thing is true. Many times you get people who only report (Repeat what they have heard or read but with their own interpretation) the same things they have read on other sites. I certainly am not pointing fingers at anyone. I am simply stating that in the course of a normal discussion people tend to answer only with the information they have read about, or heard second hand. This action leads to the term Group Think, where certain things begin to be discussed as fact simply because of repetition, and numerous postings. This idea is extrapolated from the axiom ""Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see" (Benjamin Franklin).

So... now on to the meat.

In this case I have specifically been looking for a PPF. I have read the arguments that One brand is better than the other brand, that clarity is factor, that some films are cloudy. I suggest that many times these are adjectives that are derived from Advertising. Yes, there I said it someone, a manufacturer has created a catch-phrase and people use that descriptor. After reading many forum posts, reading reviews, and going to different manufacturer websites I was getting a bit dizzy, BUT at least I made a decision. I WOULD be getting Xpel Ultimate (because it was obvious from all the discussions it was the best protection, AND had self healing properties! I mean come on right? Who cares if Suntek Ultra had better clarity, or Suntek PPF was the equivalent to Xpel, but a little bit cheaper and the warranty was a little less.

So, armed with this information I headed off to the shop for install. I am not going to mention names/companies yet... For now lets just keep this in the blind. For reference I will call my Installer "Bob". Bob is a great guy, VERY good reputation, many references, and a broad knowledge of products on the market.

Bob knew what I had come for. It was Xpel Ultimate. We spent significant time discussing products, process, and techniques about what would happen and why. It was during our discussion about all the information on the INTERNET about one products benefits over one another that Bob made me a very interesting offer. He had Xpel Ultimate, Suntek, and a newly arrived Suntek Ultra. Bob asked me if I would like to consider something other than Xpel Ultimate at the same price.

Please, before anyone jumps to a conclusion that Xpel is our right more expensive and would have been a loss for me or Bob, let's just say that we have a really great deal and it would not be a loss. Instead, I ask that you understand this was Bob's way of conducting a "Reality Check" for me. Bob took the three products (Xpel Ultimate, Suntek , and Suntek Ultra) and cut three sheets to temporarily install on my Vette and let me choose which I preferred. (as he began I asked him to not tell me which was which) I turned away and he installed all three and I didn't know which one was which.

When he was done I probably looked and looked for 10 minutes... and you know what. I could not tell the difference between these products. I have included pictures (but they never do justice... Here they are, and I will continue with my diatribe after...

If you would like to take a stab... look at any of the Pics below and tell me which is which...
Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

So, Where is this going?

Simple, it is my opinion that of these three products there is literally no way to tell the difference between them. I will admit that perhaps there are "other" super duper products that may blow me away, and that older products may have been easy to tell apart.

However, what I personally saw was no difference and so I personally stuck with Xpel ultimate.

I will also concede that perhaps different colors would elicit different results. AND What I would really like to see would love to see is a blind comparison between any /ALL PPFs of the same Car/Color. AND THEN, I'd like top see someone actually pick which was which.

Finally, what was my conclusion? The PPF install of your choice (should you happen to be a proponent, since there are just as many folks out there who thing PPF is hogwash (look it up) is pretty much irrelevant. The differences are made up advertisements, and word of mouth passed on from person to person. The best way to determine what you want is to find a reputable installer, that YOU TRUST. Discuss options with him, and heck don't just trust me, ask him to demo for YOU.

I think you will be surprised...

Just my Humble Opinion,
L1FRDOG

Last edited by L1FRDOG; 02-23-2017 at 11:13 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by L1FRDOG:
csysman (01-04-2018), daleong (02-24-2017), Foosh (02-23-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 11:33 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,512 Likes on 2,317 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

I'm glad you're happy with your decision. I had Xpel on my 2014 Stingray but am going with SunTek on my 2017 Grand Sport.

So, Where is this going? Simple, it is my opinion that of these three products there is literally no way to tell the difference between them.
Esoteric is doing my SunTek installation. They have proven with their $4K DOI meter (DOI = Distinctness of Image) that SunTek offers the greatest clarity of any paint protection film available. I've seen both installed on C7 Corvettes, and personally see the greater clarity in the SunTek and prefer this.

Both are definitely quality products. Congrats!
The following users liked this post:
L1FRDOG (02-24-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 11:39 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Dave,

Great post!

"Bob" and I had the same discussion, and I ended up making the same decision you did when he did my car. My decision was based upon our installer's view that XPEL appears to be a little more resistant to rock damage. However, even that is a crap shoot because it all depends upon the angle, speed, and shape of the projectile.

The bottom line is that any well-installed PPF is going to offer a lot of protection. "Bob" is completely agnostic about brand of film, likes them all, and installs them all, in large part for the reasons you very well articulated.

Last edited by Foosh; 02-23-2017 at 11:53 PM.
L1FRDOG (02-24-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 01:32 AM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

There is another factor, and that is ease of installation. If a specific product is easier to install and the quality is the same, since the C7 is one of the most difficult car to install these products on (sharp curves, reverse curves, compound angles, etc.), I want the product that is easiest for my installer to do as near a perfect job as is possible (for perfection is not possible with any of them with any installer).

My installer, who will do 3M, XPEL and SunTek, says easiest for him to install SunTek. Additionally, while we have a "test" above concluding all the three tested are of equal clarity and reflection, when I held SunTek up to the installer's light with one hand, XPEL with my other hand, the XPEL was, IMO, a tiny touch cloudier.

I will next do the test with SunTek vs. SunTek Ultra before installing one of those products on my next, ME, Corvette.
walleyejack (02-24-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 06:57 AM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 868 Likes on 433 Posts

I think Xpel was/is in some sort of lawsuit with 3M about their adhesive or something?
Anyway, add another player to the mix which might make Xpel & SunTek disappear and thats Premium Sheild... Look it up....
Old 02-24-2017, 09:43 AM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by YO-EL
I think Xpel was/is in some sort of lawsuit with 3M about their adhesive or something?
Anyway, add another player to the mix which might make Xpel & SunTek disappear and thats Premium Sheild... Look it up....
interesting, i was reading about it and started reading comments, halfway through one usually gets, click to continue, not this time,, "comments closed" what does that tell us.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:50 AM
drclaw
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very cool, thanks. I am having Suntek installed in Maryland on Monday. I went shopping for Xpel, and the guy told me he prefers Suntek and put it on his own Stingray. Your post tells me that ill be happy either way. Thanks for the pics!
L1FRDOG (02-24-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 11:19 AM
speed4tu
Drifting

Received 372 Likes on 262 Posts

I have Suntek on mine and it looks like nothing is there unless you look for the line. Even it doesn't show unless you are specifically looking for it. I just got front and half the hood done.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:19 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by speed4tu
I have Suntek on mine and it looks like nothing is there unless you look for the line. Even it doesn't show unless you are specifically looking for it. I just got front and half the hood done.
nice. i m curious, when you wax, obviously you don t do the ppf, but i m wondering how one prevents build of of wax and polish on the edge of the film, i m thinking it will show up eventually as the line across the hood.

Al
Old 02-24-2017, 12:39 PM
GR Jay
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by walleyejack
nice. i m curious, when you wax, obviously you don t do the ppf, but i m wondering how one prevents build of of wax and polish on the edge of the film, i m thinking it will show up eventually as the line across the hood.

Al
Actually you do and can wax, polish, glaze, seal etc. over Xpel. They are very specific on their website that their PPF can be treated just like your other car surfaces. I believe it states there is actually automotive clearcoat on the outer layer of the Xpel.

I have about 80% of my car covered with Xpel. Had it done at McMulkin when I bought the car. When my car was unloaded off of the truck I looked and looked and then turned to my wife and said "crap they forgot to do the wrap" Finally after about two more minutes of looking I was able to find a seam and confirm that the car was indeed wrapped. The wrap is just that good that it is very hard to see.

I think the real test would be is how good the stuff look five years down the road. I'm sure it all looks great when new. Like most things it will depend on how it is cared for.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:44 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by GR Jay
Actually you do and can wax, polish, glaze, seal etc. over Xpel. They are very specific on their website that their PPF can be treated just like your other car surfaces. I believe it states there is actually automotive clearcoat on the outer layer of the Xpel.

I have about 80% of my car covered with Xpel. Had it done at McMulkin when I bought the car. When my car was unloaded off of the truck I looked and looked and then turned to my wife and said "crap they forgot to do the wrap" Finally after about two more minutes of looking I was able to find a seam and confirm that the car was indeed wrapped. The wrap is just that good that it is very hard to see.

I think the real test would be is how good the stuff look five years down the road. I'm sure it all looks great when new. Like most things it will depend on how it is cared for.
very nice. my buddy had c7 z expeled when they first arrived, looks good this day, says he has 0 issues with it. for me is toss up of the top 3
Old 02-24-2017, 12:47 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by GR Jay
Absolutely correct.

The only thing you SHOULD NOT use on the film is a an abrasive polish or clay bar. Any wax or sealant is fine, and actually desirable to maintain the hydrophobic quality of the film.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:49 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Foosh
Absolutely correct.

The only thing you SHOULD NOT use on the film is a an abrasive polish or clay bar. Any wax or sealant is fine, and actually desirable to maintain the hydrophobic quality of the film.
you are talking Xpel in particular ?
Old 02-24-2017, 12:52 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

It doesn't matter. It applies to all PPFs.
walleyejack (02-24-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 09:08 PM
L1FRDOG
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

For me, in the Wash D.C. Area with a combination of traffic, poor road conditions with butt loads of tiny rocks, and a desire to both actually drive my car and even track it, I beyond a shadow of a doubt knew I needed PPF and a coating. I also knew that it was going to be the entire car, with the exception of the rear, and rear hatch.

With that in mind I began my search. I looked at coatings and PPF. Xpel ultimate, opticoat pro+, modesta, suntek, nanoflex, Ceramic pro 9h... I mean the list goes on and on... I literally got to the point of information saturation. You just can't believe it all.

What I really needed was to SEE the products, and not on a roll or a strip hanging (because looking at a strip of ppf not on a car you have to worry about her the adhesive might impact the clarity. As I posted my original pics at the beginning of this thread I also took complete shots of the before and I will post the after.

Frankly though, I feel that even with pictures al I will show I see that the car looks good. However, the point of this thread is to prove ( or reinforce) that they are all very very similar products that give very very similar results. Beyond that the most significant visual that could separate any of these cars is what you do after the PPF.

L1FRDOG

Last edited by L1FRDOG; 02-24-2017 at 09:10 PM.
walleyejack (02-24-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 10:40 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

More than anything, it's all about the installer, not the brand of PPF.

Last edited by Foosh; 02-24-2017 at 10:42 PM.
L1FRDOG (02-25-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 09:47 AM
L1FRDOG
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Foosh
More than anything, it's all about the installer, not the brand of PPF.
ABSOLUTELY!! I think that theme has been expressed in nearly every thread on PPF I have read. Don't approach this from a $$ aspect. Find a great installer. Someone who's pride and craftsmanship shine through.

L1FRDOG
Old 02-25-2017, 10:24 AM
Al@MatickChevy
Premium Supporting Dealership

Received 139 Likes on 87 Posts

My installer who does some crazy high end cars, likes Xpel and Solarguard. He said that Solarguard is becoming the choice for track guys as it's believed that it's durability is quite impressive.

Xpel and Solarguard both look really good. The installer is unbelievable though.
L1FRDOG (02-25-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Xpel Ultimate vs Suntek vs Suntek Ultra vs...

Quick Reply: Xpel Ultimate vs Suntek vs Suntek Ultra vs...