C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

l98 minimum machine shop rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 11:00 AM
midlifecrisis1979
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default l98 minimum machine shop rebuild

Gonna rebuild my l98 1987. Ran 200k miles before giving up the ghost, never blew just started knocking in the bottom end so I shut her down and haven't cranked since 2008. Hoping to rebuild to spec for another 200k miles. Provided that the block isn't damaged what nos parts can I get to do this? I see that the original crank is still available? I would rather replace parts than have them machined if possible which will hopefully only leave the cylinders to be addressed. Would like to purchase a set of heads rather than have mine refurbished, don't care about performance, looking for reliability and longevity like the original. I wanna keep everything as original as possible and prefer ac delco parts. any advise is greatly appreciated, I know there are a lot of great crate motors and mods out there for better performance but I just want my girl to be the way she used to be when we met in 1998.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:32 AM
Weck86
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

The heads are going to be your problem. Do a search on here (google is your friend) about the early aluminum heads, they are prone to cracking. If yours are in good shape (no cracks) consider yourself lucky. To my knowledge only used units are available. If it were me I'd try to have the originals redone and run them.

If for some reason you think about going to the newer vortec head be advised your original intake will not match up. Scoggins-Dickey used to sell an intake that would match the TPI to the vortec heads.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:55 AM
midlifecrisis1979
Racer

yeah I been reading that those vortec heads perform better and are dirt cheap
Old 02-24-2017, 03:02 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

I bought a set of vortecs, rebuilt from a machine shop... one ended up being cracked.. check them b4 handing over money..BTW, that shop was selling them newly rebuilt for a hundred bucks a pair.
http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/eng...-tpi-manifold/
http://www.chevyhardcore.com/tech-st...-reader-guide/
MAKE SURE you can find a manifold for sale b4 buying a set of these heads. Edlebrock has stopped making these manifolds. Luckly I bought a manifold first.
Remember, you are going to have to have it bored so means new pistons and rings. New cam bearing,main and rod bearings.complete gasket set, freeze plugs, most likely crank work,rebuilt heads, maybe new injectors, why put on an old water pump, timing set,and on and on. It aint cheap.

Last edited by ghoastrider1; 02-24-2017 at 03:07 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:37 PM
midlifecrisis1979
Racer

Originally Posted by ghoastrider1
I bought a set of vortecs, rebuilt from a machine shop... one ended up being cracked.. check them b4 handing over money..BTW, that shop was selling them newly rebuilt for a hundred bucks a pair.
http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/eng...-tpi-manifold/
http://www.chevyhardcore.com/tech-st...-reader-guide/
MAKE SURE you can find a manifold for sale b4 buying a set of these heads. Edlebrock has stopped making these manifolds. Luckly I bought a manifold first.
Remember, you are going to have to have it bored so means new pistons and rings. New cam bearing,main and rod bearings.complete gasket set, freeze plugs, most likely crank work,rebuilt heads, maybe new injectors, why put on an old water pump, timing set,and on and on. It aint cheap.
First thing I gotta to do is get old girl cleaned up and pull that motor. Then we shall see, gonna build it cheap as possible back to spec with as little machine work as possible. Was running descent other than the knock in the bottom end, might just be a crank bearing, if so maybe I can get her back on the road with a new crank and bearings
Old 02-28-2017, 02:35 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by midlifecrisis1979
First thing I gotta to do is get the old girl cleaned up and pull that motor. Then we shall see, gonna build it cheap as possible back to spec with as little machine work as possible.
At 200,000 miles, call that engine toast! The fastest and cheapest way to continue with the fun factor is a crate engine! Lots of choices available, and if you choose correctly, you will again have a reliable, smooth running Corvette! You'll probably be surprised how much better "the old girl" will run with a fresh engine! I'd highly recommend you get an engine that has been ballanced!

If you do just a bottom end rebuild, with 200,000 on it, you'll need to pull the engine again soon. Do you really want to do the job twice?

Old 02-28-2017, 08:09 AM
midlifecrisis1979
Racer

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
At 200,000 miles, call that engine toast! The fastest and cheapest way to continue with the fun factor is a crate engine! Lots of choices available, and if you choose correctly, you will again have a reliable, smooth running Corvette! You'll probably be surprised how much better "the old girl" will run with a fresh engine! I'd highly recommend you get an engine that has been ballanced!

If you do just a bottom end rebuild, with 200,000 on it, you'll need to pull the engine again soon. Do you really want to do the job twice?

I love the idea of a fresh start but putting a 6000 dollar zz motor in a 1500 Vette give me heartburn. I hear once you get good you can pull one of these motors in as little as 2 hours and I have a shop! I do wanna put a crate motor in eventually but I don't think this is the car for that one, I gonna look for a beat down 6 speed for that app. I would like to stroke the block on this one but been reading about problems with cams and the 700r4. I am eyeballing the zz4 short block that is available for 2500
Old 03-01-2017, 02:29 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

I shut her down and haven't cranked since 2008. Hoping to rebuild to spec for another 200k miles.

don't care about performance, looking for reliability and longevity like the original. I wanna keep everything as original as possible. I just want my girl to be the way she used to be when we met in 1998.
gonna build it cheap as possible back to spec with as little machine work as possible.
I would like to stroke the block on this one but been reading about problems with cams and the 700r4. I am eyeballing the zz4 short block that is available for 2500
Somebody's having trouble making a decision! Maybe in another nine years? Nike has some advice: Just Do It!

Old 03-01-2017, 08:55 AM
midlifecrisis1979
Racer

Somebody's having trouble making a decision! Maybe in another nine years? Nike has some advice: Just Do It!

Yeah I want like three different cars, so I think I'm gonna get three c4s. Maybe one with a six speed stroker motor with large cam, and just keep my 87 stock on the cheap as a shrine to my younger days. I got the shop space for all of em! I might even have to pick up a c5 if they can just get a little bit cheaper, price is finally creeping down on those
Old 03-01-2017, 08:01 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

I want like three different cars, so I think I'm gonna get three c4s. I might even have to pick up a c5
That's called a "mid-life crisis", for sure!

Old 03-01-2017, 08:27 PM
midlifecrisis1979
Racer

That's called a "mid-life crisis", for sure!

Yeah I have joked with folks over the years that the reason I never got rid of my vette was that I was saving it for my midlife crisis, I think I am there cause I got the sudden urge to rebuild her after all these years
Old 03-02-2017, 04:34 PM
slow-vette
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Yeah I want like three different cars, so I think I'm gonna get three c4s. Maybe one with a six speed stroker motor with large cam, and just keep my 87 stock on the cheap as a shrine to my younger days. I got the shop space for all of em! I might even have to pick up a c5 if they can just get a little bit cheaper, price is finally creeping down on those
I get wanting to have a C4 for your every mood. But it would be A LOT cheaper to take the cash you would spend on a "beat down" M6 C4 and just convert your 87 to a M6 then drop in a healthy crate motor and call it good. One C4 to rule them all.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:08 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

If a stick and ls is what you want get what you can for yours and move on

If you want a stock rebuild your crank can be ground, heads rebuilt etc

Still betting a goodwrench crate from Jegs or Summit will cost less and last longer. They are pretty cheap.

If you were in love with your C4 then hard to look at it like its only worth but this costs? It its what you want then its worth it

Thrown more than 1 paint job on a 5000 truck over time was worth it to me. Everyones different.

C5s are getting cheap make damn sure it has no electrical issues esp up to 00/01? Some of those pieces are no longer available.
Like the C4s tons to choose from and they arent rare collectibles have at it.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:17 PM
midlifecrisis1979
Racer

Originally Posted by slow-vette
I get wanting to have a C4 for your every mood. But it would be A LOT cheaper to take the cash you would spend on a "beat down" M6 C4 and just convert your 87 to a M6 then drop in a healthy crate motor and call it good. One C4 to rule them all.
Yeah it would for sure I just figured I got the shop and the space so why not, I'm gonna spring for a more high dollar driver and commute in it like I use to back in the day, that one will be an automatic. I was just thinking of getting a 6 speed cause some of the guys tell me that a manual is better for a large cam car. My old 87 has sintemental value and will stay with me till I die. I think im just gonna pull the motor on her and play with her for a while, get her running as cheap as possible, she will never be a Dailey driver again.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:26 PM
midlifecrisis1979
Racer

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette

If a stick and ls is what you want get what you can for yours and move on

If you want a stock rebuild your crank can be ground, heads rebuilt etc

Still betting a goodwrench crate from Jegs or Summit will cost less and last longer. They are pretty cheap.

If you were in love with your C4 then hard to look at it like its only worth but this costs? It its what you want then its worth it

Thrown more than 1 paint job on a 5000 truck over time was worth it to me. Everyones different.

C5s are getting cheap make damn sure it has no electrical issues esp up to 00/01? Some of those pieces are no longer available.
Like the C4s tons to choose from and they arent rare collectibles have at it.
Me an old girl got to many memories together to let her go, if nothing else i just sit in her every once in a while and think about the old days, she still got cds in the center console from 20 years ago, almost like a time capsule. I'm really starting to think hard about a c5, will research a bit and would appreciate any advise on electrical problems to look for cause my Baby sure did give me a hard time Back in the day with that vaTs and those headlights, would like to avoid a similar experiance

Get notified of new replies

To l98 minimum machine shop rebuild

Quick Reply: l98 minimum machine shop rebuild