C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Settings for Launch Control at drag strip

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 02:09 AM
renanmendes
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Settings for Launch Control at drag strip

How you guys launch your cars at the dragstrip? What configuration for traction? Ive tryed "competitive mode" tonight and my best et was 12.35, what was terrible in my oppinion. A8, non z51.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:45 PM
Mike Jesse
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 195 Posts

The best I've gotten with mine totally stock is 12.03@119.

Rear tires @26 PSIG.

T/C turned off in Sport mode.

Leaving at a dead idle, transmission in D.

Every car is different and you will need to adjust until you are happy with the results.

To me, a stock car that turns a 12 flat ET AND gets 30 plus MPG highway is pretty damned impressive.

Mine is a base 1LT, A8.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mike Jesse:
astaggs (02-27-2017), vetten76 (12-07-2018)
Old 02-26-2017, 08:21 PM
C2367
Drifting

Received 307 Likes on 133 Posts

LC is Waste of time, does not work as intended, found that out a long time ago. Just get a set of DR's if you want to run a nice time. My car will spin mad and feel total unsafe using LC to the point that I just give up and go home.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:05 AM
renanmendes
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mike Jesse
The best I've gotten with mine totally stock is 12.03@119.

Rear tires @26 PSIG.

T/C turned off in Sport mode.

Leaving at a dead idle, transmission in D.

Every car is different and you will need to adjust until you are happy with the results.

To me, a stock car that turns a 12 flat ET AND gets 30 plus MPG highway is pretty damned impressive.

Mine is a base 1LT, A8.
How was your 60 feet?
i tryed dont use launch control but the car did spin too much
Old 02-27-2017, 12:30 AM
Mike Jesse
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 195 Posts

Stock, mine has gone a 1.91 60 FT. That's driving it by feel. I have to walk mine out a few feet before giving it full throttle.

My local track doesn't prep for the Friday night street car crowd,
so it all depends on track prep.

As Richard has mentioned, just get the DR's and see what it will really run.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:14 AM
renanmendes
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mike Jesse
Stock, mine has gone a 1.91 60 FT. That's driving it by feel. I have to walk mine out a few feet before giving it full throttle.

My local track doesn't prep for the Friday night street car crowd,
so it all depends on track prep.

As Richard has mentioned, just get the DR's and see what it will really run.
i did 1.899 friday night, and even like that my et was 12.3
Old 02-27-2017, 03:09 PM
jabeasley1
Pro

Received 189 Likes on 124 Posts

I have a 2015 Z06 and all I use is launch control. Maybe its my lack of experience but the last 18 runs have all been hovering around the 10.7's. I have MT ET SS drag radials so most all runs have zero wheel spin.
I utilize race mode; sport 1; and launch control.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:19 PM
0DSC Sport
Former Vendor

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by renanmendes
How you guys launch your cars at the dragstrip? What configuration for traction? Ive tryed "competitive mode" tonight and my best et was 12.35, what was terrible in my oppinion. A8, non z51.
To activate the shock launch mode you hold brake and you have to crack the throttle past 20% then you can leave the throttle wherever you want. and when the car starts moving the counter starts 1 full sec as the car rolls out it interpolate to the slope angle defined by next cell that is launch end
you would have way better result as the front Reb is way stiff low speed and rear compression low speed is soft it slows weight transfer down so the rear tires are not overloaded .
Let me know if this helps
​​​​
Old 11-29-2018, 05:34 PM
bmwpc
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Launch Problems

The last time I did a lot of drag racing in my corvette was 1968 with 425 hp, a 4 speed and stock tires with about 6 inches of tread. So no traction and feathering the clutch was expected. Getting ready to race my 2019 Z06 I figured I better do some research (read all the posts) and a few practice starts. I tried using the "track" setting, hitting the center button twice quickly to shut of the TC and other thing ( I can't remember the name) and both lights came on telling me they were both off. I then set the selection choice that came up to (Track 1.) With my foot on the brake I ran it up to 2100 rpm , let off the brake and floored it. I was surprised that I got quite a bit of fishtailing. It was enough that if I was on a racetrack, I probably would have let up a bit. I was in a big enough space where I could still keep my foot in it but when it shifted to 2nd, I still got some fishtailing and by that time I did have to let up. I was surprised as I thought the stock tires were supposed to be good enough for this type of launch and not spin much. Is it good news that there is just too much hp for that type of start and drag radials are needed or something else. I've also watched most of the videos but most of those have drag radials on. Too much horsepower won't disappoint me but I will surely have to modify my start if that is the "normal." Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 12-01-2018, 12:24 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwpc
The last time I did a lot of drag racing in my corvette was 1968 with 425 hp, a 4 speed and stock tires with about 6 inches of tread. So no traction and feathering the clutch was expected. Getting ready to race my 2019 Z06 I figured I better do some research (read all the posts) and a few practice starts. I tried using the "track" setting, hitting the center button twice quickly to shut of the TC and other thing ( I can't remember the name) and both lights came on telling me they were both off. I then set the selection choice that came up to (Track 1.) With my foot on the brake I ran it up to 2100 rpm , let off the brake and floored it. I was surprised that I got quite a bit of fishtailing. It was enough that if I was on a racetrack, I probably would have let up a bit. I was in a big enough space where I could still keep my foot in it but when it shifted to 2nd, I still got some fishtailing and by that time I did have to let up. I was surprised as I thought the stock tires were supposed to be good enough for this type of launch and not spin much. Is it good news that there is just too much hp for that type of start and drag radials are needed or something else. I've also watched most of the videos but most of those have drag radials on. Too much horsepower won't disappoint me but I will surely have to modify my start if that is the "normal." Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
When you turn the **** mounted on the center console to track and then push the button twice you then get a choice of 5 sub modes, Wet, Dry, Sport 1, Sport 2 and Race. Launch Control is available in all of those sub modes. For a drag launch on dry pavement using Launch Control you should consider using either Sport 1, Sport 2 or Race. In Sport 1 you get Stability Control and PTM but no TC, In Sport 2 you have PTM but don't have Stability Control or TC, Race you have PTM, No Stability Control and no TC. The difference between Race and the other modes is Race mode doesn't have throttle dampening which affects how fast the throttle is applied. With your foot on the floor it shouldn't make any difference. Once you are in any of those selections there is nothing else to choose. Pushing the center button again takes you out of them.

I am not sure what you mean by Track 1.

Once in one of those modes all you have to do to use Launch Control with an A8 is put the transmission in gear, apply the brake with your left foot, push the throttle to the floor and the ECM (not you) will set the launch rpm. When you are ready to launch just remove your left foot from the brake while keeping your right foot to the floor. As soon as you lift your right foot you are not in Launch Control anymore. With a manual transmission you have to be on level ground so the car doesn't roll while setting up Launch Control but you do essentially the same thing. Put the car in low gear, keep clutch depressed, floor the throttle and keep it on the floor and when ready to launch take your foot off the clutch. Shift with your right foot planted on the floor. Again, if you lift you are out of Launch Control.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
vetten76 (12-07-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 02:13 PM
bmwpc
Intermediate

Bill thanks. Your are correct that it is sport 1 and 2 not race. I was going by memory (remember I'm 70). What you suggested I do, I did exactly and still had the fishtailing to the extent that I would be cautious on something as narrow as a dragstrip lane, I don't remember which traction control setting I used but it was either sport 1,2 or track after hitting the button twice and getting both alerts in the dash. I was hoping for essentially a no spin , just go launch, but didn't get that.
Old 12-01-2018, 02:20 PM
bmwpc
Intermediate

Bill, thanks again. I forgot to ask you, on my stock tired car which (sport 1, sport 2 or track) setting do you recommend or do you recommend something entirely different. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:10 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwpc
Bill, thanks again. I forgot to ask you, on my stock tired car which (sport 1, sport 2 or track) setting do you recommend or do you recommend something entirely different. Thanks in advance.
I wouldn't do anything but Sport 1 since you still have some stability control which should help keep the car in line. I think people who drag race without using Launch Control use Tour Mode with Traction Control turned off. This gets them full stability control.

Bill
Old 12-05-2018, 12:36 AM
bmwpc
Intermediate

Default Thankd

Bill, thanks again.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:54 PM
vetten76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I think it’s really cool that you are going to drag race again in a modern new Corvette. The 68 was a monster I bet. You’re new car is a monster too. I think we’re never to old to have fun in our cars. Drag racing? Groovy.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:57 AM
bmwpc
Intermediate

Default Thanks

Thanks for the encouragement. Actually I started racing in my 65 Nassau blue coupe it was a 396 425 horse although in 1968 I did have a very late 68 Camaro 396 375/425 and I ordered it from the factory with 488’s and I later .513 rear. Great street racer! I finally got my 500 miles in on the Corvette so next week I’ll get my oil changed and then it’s off to the quarter mile and track events. My wonderful wife has want me and helmet for Christmas as I understand they are not required. Not like that back in the 60s and 70s when T-shirts and shorts were standard driving atire. Of course we were are all in our teens and invincible. Then, Vietnam taught us differently. QUOTE=vetten76;1598463158]
I think it’s really cool that you are going to drag race again in a modern new Corvette. The 68 was a monster I bet. You’re new car is a monster too. I think we’re never to old to have fun in our cars. Drag racing? Groovy.
[/QUOTE]
Old 12-08-2018, 11:26 PM
solotronics
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
When you turn the **** mounted on the center console to track and then push the button twice you then get a choice of 5 sub modes, Wet, Dry, Sport 1, Sport 2 and Race. Launch Control is available in all of those sub modes.
I have been wondering if this mode stays as you drive around after a launch? I totally understand the two button push and selecting the sub-mode but since it doesn't continue to show the sub-mode under Track does it stay in, for example, Sport 1 while your in Track? What if you change the dial to Touring and then back to Track is the sub-mode still Sport 1? this would explain some unexpected behavior in Track mode I have noticed. A couple times it didn't seem to use any traction control in Track mode when doing a launch just did a burnout. I wasn't sure if maybe I didn't apply the brake enough first. Usually doing a launch I set to Track and sub-mode Sport 2.

When launching the traction control is very interesting as it modulates what I assume is the throttle to keep traction. It feels like something happening on a sine curve oscillating almost like flapping a thick rubber sheet if that makes sense (is that the actual rubber of the tires loading and unloading? I would think the sidewalls are too small and hard to feel that). I used to race shifter karts and formula cars and have a pretty good feel for what's happening but its hard to explain. I am actually not sure if it's a sound or just what I am feeling through the chassis if that makes sense. It might actually just be the way the computer limits the engine in the intial stage of the launch and the sound that produces.

Last edited by solotronics; 12-08-2018 at 11:30 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Settings for Launch Control at drag strip

Quick Reply: Settings for Launch Control at drag strip