C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

T-Fluid change '87 4+3

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 04:30 PM
nadirah9
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default T-Fluid change '87 4+3

Question: does the '87 4+3 have a transmission fluid screen and magnet within? I'm looking at changing the T-Fluid for the first time. Thanks.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:15 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The OD unit uses a small filter and has a round magnet that is placed at one corner of the pan. There is no drain plug so you remove all of the bolts that hold the pan in place to drain it. Make sure that you can remove the fill plug before attempting to remove the pan.

The filter is removed by simply pulling it straight down. The filter is the same one that was used on the Ford FMX auto trans in the early-mid 70's. These part numbers will work:
AC Delco TF184
FRAM FT1024
NAPA ATP14717
Ford D0AZ-7A098-A

Take the rubber bushing off the old filter and install on the new filter (these filter do not come with the bushing as they weren't need for the FMX trans) Clean the pan rails and the OD case flange making sure the pan rails are straight. Apply a 1/8" bead of a good RTV black sealant to the pan rail and circling the bolt holes. Assemble immediatley. Don't tighten the bolts too tight but make sure they are equally tight.

The OD uses a standard DEX III ATF. Don't use a synthetic ATF! You will need three 1-quart bottles.

On the passenger side of the OD unit, there are two hard lines that go to and from the radiator. Disconnect both ends at the OD and use low air pressure to blow out the fluid. Once you have refilled the OD and with the rear wheels off the ground, rotate a rear wheel for 8-10 times, then re-check the fluid level. You may have to repeat this step to insure the OD is full. This is optional but it insures there is very little old fluid left in the OD unit.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:31 PM
Buick350X
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by nadirah9
Question: does the '87 4+3 have a transmission fluid screen and magnet within? I'm looking at changing the T-Fluid for the first time. Thanks.

Take lots of pics for me, when I change mine here soon
Old 02-25-2017, 05:38 PM
nadirah9
Advanced

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
The OD unit uses a small filter and has a round magnet that is placed at one corner of the pan. There is no drain plug so you remove all of the bolts that hold the pan in place to drain it. Make sure that you can remove the fill plug before attempting to remove the pan.

The filter is removed by simply pulling it straight down. The filter is the same one that was used on the Ford FMX auto trans in the early-mid 70's. These part numbers will work:
AC Delco TF184
FRAM FT1024
NAPA ATP14717
Ford D0AZ-7A098-A

Take the rubber bushing off the old filter and install on the new filter (these filter do not come with the bushing as they weren't need for the FMX trans) Clean the pan rails and the OD case flange making sure the pan rails are straight. Apply a 1/8" bead of a good RTV black sealant to the pan rail and circling the bolt holes. Assemble immediatley. Don't tighten the bolts too tight but make sure they are equally tight.

The OD uses a standard DEX III ATF. Don't use a synthetic ATF! You will need three 1-quart bottles.

On the passenger side of the OD unit, there are two hard lines that go to and from the radiator. Disconnect both ends at the OD and use low air pressure to blow out the fluid. Once you have refilled the OD and with the rear wheels off the ground, rotate a rear wheel for 8-10 times, then re-check the fluid level. You may have to repeat this step to insure the OD is full. This is optional but it insures there is very little old fluid left in the OD unit.

Awesom
Old 02-25-2017, 05:39 PM
nadirah9
Advanced

Awesome! Appreciate the info. I think I can handle that, God be with me

Get notified of new replies

To T-Fluid change '87 4+3

Quick Reply: T-Fluid change '87 4+3