C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] Why should I change to an alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 11:02 PM
62-C1
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Why should I change to an alternator?

What is the advantage of an alternator over the generator? What else needs to be changed? I have been looking at Mad Electric and their kits look interesting.

Has anyone on the forum changed over a 61 or 62? How did it work and would you recommend doing it?
Old 02-26-2017, 12:00 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,528 Likes on 3,003 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

An alternator will usually charge the battery at engine idling speeds and generally is capable of sourcing more current than a generator.

Do you need one? It depends on whether you have a stock set of electrical loads or not. If you've added a lot of power hungry doo-dads, converting to an alternator might make sense. On the other hand, if your vehicle is bone stock, the generator is perfectly capable of driving all the electrical loads.

My (unsolicited) comment? If you don't know why you would need an alternator, you probably don't.

Jim
The following 2 users liked this post by jim lockwood:
62-C1 (02-26-2017), Bill Pilon (02-26-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 12:10 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

The manufacturers changed over, because it is more reliable, charges at slower engine speed, and has higher current output. Plus it weighs less. The 70's era Delco 10-SI has an internal solid state regulator (eliminating the more troublesome mechanical contact external regulator).

Also, the 10-SI is available just about anywhere, and is very rebuildable (bearings, brushes, internal regulator are all available and easily replaced if needed). These units are very reliable as well.

I have a 10-SI unit on my 62.

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 02-26-2017 at 12:13 AM.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:45 AM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

I installed a Powermaster 90 amp alternator that looks like a generator on my '62. Little pricey at just over $400, but it puts out over 13 volts even under a load at idle so the headlights don't look like a couple of birthday candles from a distance. I also have a Spal 16" fan and it works like a champ. I bought a Delco dated generator tag and stuck it on. It's also one wire connection so it was easy to install, and it bolts right up to the stock generator mounts. No one has said a word about it.

Last edited by Randy G.; 02-26-2017 at 01:48 AM.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:06 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

We may see more and more of this for another reason; the generator style voltage regulators are getting tougher to find in operating condition and no solid-state alternatives exist. The repros are about as bad as it gets and most are non-adjustable. The few rebuilders are getting long in the tooth and slammed with work as their numbers dwindle, some have already stopped restoring these...

I don't know if the fake generator above will run a tachometer but that's another issue - the tachometers drive will have to change; possibly become electric.

This is how things cascade in these integrated systems.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 02-26-2017 at 07:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
62-C1 (02-26-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 08:52 AM
62-C1
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Plasticman
The manufacturers changed over, because it is more reliable, charges at slower engine speed, and has higher current output. Plus it weighs less. The 70's era Delco 10-SI has an internal solid state regulator (eliminating the more troublesome mechanical contact external regulator).

Also, the 10-SI is available just about anywhere, and is very rebuildable (bearings, brushes, internal regulator are all available and easily replaced if needed). These units are very reliable as well.

I have a 10-SI unit on my 62.

Plasticman
What other changes did you have to make to the electrical system? I have already gotten rid of the points in the distributor, any other changes that have to be made?

Thanks for your help you, Frankie the Fink and WMF 62 are the go to guys on late year C1's.

Marty
Old 02-26-2017, 09:13 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by 62 corvette nut
What other changes did you have to make to the electrical system? I have already gotten rid of the points in the distributor, any other changes that have to be made?

Thanks for your help you, Frankie the Fink and WMF 62 are the go to guys on late year C1's.

Marty
Ironic as Plasticman (John) and wmf63 ( Bill) were MY first consultants when I got my 61 ten years back.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:17 AM
Roger Walling
Melting Slicks

Received 1,595 Likes on 662 Posts

I have a generator on my 283 that is in my 32 Ford classic 50's style hot rod.

It is surprising how many people comment on it.
jbmcrae (02-26-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 09:18 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Marty
I appreciate the kind words for both Frank, John and myself...

I run an alternator because of the high draw electric items I have; I once-upon-a-time ran a lincoln puller fan that drew an excess of 30amps starting load and then there was the a/c and the a/c pusher fan. etc, etc. so I have an overkill 140 amp alternator.

unless you have an aesthetical need for a generator, or have a tach drive generator (there are alternatives to that too: there is a tach drive alternator (used on tractors) or the tach drive distributor) the lookalike generator/alternator is neat but just isn't my cup of tea; i'm not trying to look original, just reliable and inexpensive.

so, as some said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it... but if you want to 'fix' it, get an alternator...

Bill

Last edited by wmf62; 02-26-2017 at 09:23 AM.
62-C1 (02-26-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 09:34 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Marty
Marty,

Thanks for the kind words!

Below is the circuit I used (based off the factory circuit used in my 70 Corvette), but there is now a commercially offered harness as well from MAD:

http://www.madelectrical.com/catalog/alt-1.shtml

Note that my circuit does not use a warning light, but uses a 2' section of resistance wire (Ni-Chrome wire - 8 ohms total resistance) to replace it (just like my 70 Vette did). And admittedly my circuit is "overkill" on safety. Also, the 3 amp diode is necessary to prevent the alternator from back feeding the distributor (if back fed, the engine would not shut off).

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 02-26-2017 at 09:57 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Plasticman:
62-C1 (02-26-2017), Canuck62 (02-26-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 09:50 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

As mentioned, if you don't know why you should switch to an alternator, then you probably don't need to. When I had the generator chromed in the 56 over 40yrs ago, I rebuilt it at that time (including a new, in the Delco box, armature that I found at an AC Delco parts store). The voltage regulator has been replaced once. It still works like new.
Also, a few years ago, I bought two electronic voltage generators from a retired electrical engineer who was in his 90s, and is now deceased. At the time, you could send him your old regulator and he would convert it to solid state guts.

Here is a comparison of a stock regulator and the converted one.

This is my generator.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:55 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

The only major reason I can see for converting to an alternator would be (as mentioned) if equipment, such as air cond, was added which requires a greater electrical output.
If there is a desire to have the added output of an alternator, AND, retain the appearance of a generator, then one of the best on the market is made by Steve Pratt (user name is Jalapeno on the Chevytalk forum). For those who have a tach drive generator, and want to retain the tach drive, he is also manufacturing power steering version for 55-59 Chevys, which could be used with the tach drive gear box.
62-C1 (02-26-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 10:08 AM
HilltopClassicCars
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

As others have mentioned, the first advantage of an alternator over a generator is brighter headlamps when engine is idling. Add a headlamp relay circuit and you have the best headlamp light output possible. The other advantages as mentioned are smaller footprint, less weight, greater current output and more reliable and easier to find parts and/or a replacement for at a lower cost.

Our 1960 when purchased had a 10SI alternator already installed on the drivers side with a tachometer drive distributor. The car had an electric fan and a power steering conversion had been done. My thoughts are that the alternator was installed to allow room for the power steering pump on the passenger side where the original generator was located (more vertical space available in that location). The 10SI alternator was wired as a one wire so it wouldn't begin charging until the engine was revved above a certain rpm.

I redid the wiring similar to Frankie's diagram except I used a lamp instead of the ni-chrome resistor wire and diode combination to perform the alternator field excitation function. The added bonus of this lamp which I located under the dash is if the bulb starts glowing while the engine is running, it indicates the alternator isn't charging. Also if the key is in the run position without the engine running, it lights up which can be useful in the dark if you need the extra light for some reason. I also removed the electric fan as it just wasn't necessary, clearly Bubba had been working on this 1960 for some time, there is a long trail of evidence which has been corrected one piece at a time.
62-C1 (02-26-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 12:25 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Originally Posted by HilltopClassicCars
I redid the wiring similar to Frankie's diagram except I used a lamp instead of the ni-chrome resistor wire and diode combination to perform the alternator field excitation function.
Frankie's diagram??????????????

Note that my circuit is also on Bill's 62, plus some other Forum members.

Plasticman
Old 02-26-2017, 01:25 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

That diagram is not mine (I think its John's) and my '61 had the generator up until I sold it. I too had three of the electronic solid-state regulators, one in the car and two spares.... Wilton Electronics was doing the conversions for $85 each -- a one man shop and he was 92 years old working winters in an unheated garage in New England. Salt of the earth.

Sadly he passed on and I reached out to the relatives twice and was basically told to try to have airborne intercourse with a rolling confectionery.

I sold my last conversion this summer to a forum member...
Old 02-26-2017, 01:26 PM
HilltopClassicCars
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Plasticman
Frankie's diagram??????????????

Note that my circuit is also on Bill's 62, plus some other Forum members.

Plasticman
Sorry Plasticman, yes I meant the diagram you posted. My bad, thanks for the correction.
Plasticman (02-26-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Why should I change to an alternator?

Quick Reply: [C1] Why should I change to an alternator?