C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Vert questions from potential buyer

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 12:16 PM
tracydp
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 Vert questions from potential buyer

Hi Forum members...
I am a former C3 vert owner and am in the process of looking for a C6 vert...
I'll be looking for a low mileage car with manual trans, black top, and black leather interior... Exterior color a bit more flexible...
Is there anything to look out for on the specific years? Any options that are a problem?
Thank you all in advance for any insight and experiences you can share...
...Dave
Old 02-26-2017, 12:25 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

No, buy the newest, lowest mile, cheapest car you can find. Nothing wrong with any year C6. Each year has its own problems, nothing that can't or hasn't already been fixed.
Old 02-26-2017, 03:31 PM
jaki30
Melting Slicks

Received 517 Likes on 303 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Default Buy it if you find it

You may find that the convertible with a manual transmission is not all that common.
Most Vetts the last few years have come with the automatic.
I wanted a VY GS. Found out that there were only 81 VY GS made in 2013. Since there were only 18.4% GS with the manual trans, it came down to the possibility that my car was one of 14. Obviously, if I wanted it, I had to jump on it. Good luck.
Old 02-26-2017, 03:45 PM
icntdrv55
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Dave: PM'd you.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:49 PM
brimee
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 42 Posts

LOL, I own your desired car. As stated the newer the more difficult to find manual transmission. To top it off I found a 2012 base with all of the above which I would almost guess that mine could be one of one...

Newest lowest mileage that you find is best. I had an '05 with no issues other than I broke the radiator support. I haven't had the '12 long enough to have an issue.

Good luck in your hunt, I bet you will come across it eventually.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:55 PM
Hebebad
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

2Lt's have a manual top. 3Lt's have a power top plus other goodies like heated seats however,I would guess that most 3Lt's have an automatic tranny, 6 speed form '08 up.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:04 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by jaki30
You may find that the convertible with a manual transmission is not all that common.
Most Vetts the last few years have come with the automatic.
I wanted a VY GS. Found out that there were only 81 VY GS made in 2013. Since there were only 18.4% GS with the manual trans, it came down to the possibility that my car was one of 14. Obviously, if I wanted it, I had to jump on it. Good luck.

I must be really lucky. When I was looking for a GS two years ago, I test drove two black 2011 GS convertibles M6 and a white 2012 GS Conv. These were all in the St Louis area. I couldn't find one that didn't have a black interior.

I see 11 GS convertibles with a manual on Cargurus right now.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:35 PM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by tracydp
Hi Forum members...
I'll be looking for a low mileage car with manual trans, black top, and black leather interior... Exterior color a bit more flexible...
Is there anything to look out for on the specific years? Any options that are a problem?
...Dave
No specifics on convertibles, but here's a list worthwhile looking at before your purchase..
Check post 12;
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...for-my-c6.html

Last edited by extrapilot; 02-26-2017 at 07:38 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:30 PM
COvert-red
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by extrapilot
No specifics on convertibles, but here's a list worthwhile looking at before your purchase..
Check post 12;
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...for-my-c6.html
Extrapilot's list is great. For soft tops in particular, these points are somewhat obvious - but when compromises arise during the shopping/comparing exercise, details can get lost:

1) Buy a convertible that has always been garaged. If the car has lived in the south or western U.S., UV exposure can really age the top.

2) Seek a car with 1SB (2005-2007), or 3LT (2008 onward) options so that you have the POWER top. In theory, getting out to drop the top is pretty easy. But: you will enjoy many more hours of top-down driving by knowing that you can stop and get that top back up in a few seconds without getting out, opening the driver's door near traffic, etc.

3) A C6 soft top in good condition doesn't leak. You don't need to overlook stains or mildew as part of life with a C6. If the car has those issues, pass.

4) Same with air noise. The C6 soft top doesn't scream air. In fact, the vert is quieter than the coupe.

5) Scrapes or wear on the rear edge of the top (below glass rear window) is usually evidence of adjusting straps near the bows (upper frame) that need to be tightened. This is an easy adjustment. Brush marks near the sides of the top above the side power windows are normal - it's where the top folds against itself during the stow maneuver. Some wrinkling behind the power windows is also normal (stowing folds). These relieve after a good wet wash and dry with the top up.

6) All convertibles are more cool than all coupes. Yep. But.. you cant race 'em.

Happy hunting. Great, fun cars!!

Last edited by COvert-red; 02-26-2017 at 08:43 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:19 PM
RichKiss
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

Hi Forum members...
...Dave
I have an 08 2LT vert black w/black top, manual tranny. Great car. The only thing I would point out is the cover does hit the glass when opening and closing it. Not a big deal. All you really have to do is push on the glass so it doesn't hit. I don't see the power top as being that much of a convenience. Top literally takes seconds to open and close. Happy searching. If your having trouble finding one I'll sell you mine.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:58 PM
c6miller
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 117 Posts

The convertible liner has a tendency to tear from the roughness of the metal frame catching the fabric as the top travels. If not too bad the metal can be sanded smooth and add a soft velcro strip to the area.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:04 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by c6miller
The convertible liner has a tendency to tear from the roughness of the metal frame catching the fabric as the top travels. If not too bad the metal can be sanded smooth and add a soft velcro strip to the area.
It does? That's news to me.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:15 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by LMB-Z
No, buy the newest, lowest mile, cheapest car you can find. Nothing wrong with any year C6. Each year has its own problems, nothing that can't or hasn't already been fixed.
Just to add to the above: in the best condition. The reason for the first one (newest) is because every year---and sometimes, even during the model year---brings new improvements. Some of them are small, and not talked about, and some are much larger. But, the old "discussions" about the LS2 engine vs. the LS3 are not material. The same can be said for the A4 vs. the A6 transmissions, altho the manual trans did improve over the years from the T56 to the TR6060 with internal improvements occasionally.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:13 PM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

You can shorten the 2 straps so that the top does not hit the tonneau cover or just push the top to clear the window or tonneau cover
Old 02-26-2017, 11:25 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,626 Likes on 2,348 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Hi Forum members...
I am a former C3 vert owner and am in the process of looking for a C6 vert......Dave
Give us your price range so we can be a little more specific.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:27 AM
NOWUCME
Melting Slicks

Received 459 Likes on 324 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Always check the harmonic balancer to make sure there is no bad wobble of noise. Check the inside tread on the front vs the outside tread. Both are not small costs you could incur or have a bearing on what you pay. With low mileage you shouldn't have to worry about these, but if tires are wearing uneven you will have to sooner and that might involve 4 and not just 2 . Good luck

Last edited by NOWUCME; 02-27-2017 at 12:33 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Vert questions from potential buyer

Quick Reply: C6 Vert questions from potential buyer