C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam swap question

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 04:45 PM
TRK8
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cam swap question

Hey Guys

I'm doing a cam swap on my 08 ls3 Corvette it has 38k miles and was wondering if I have to change the:

- oil pump
- spark plugs and wires (changed them 5k miles ago)

If so, what oil pump do you guys recommend ls3 ported or melling high volume oil pump and for the plugs NGK tr6 with MSD wires or factory plugs and wires?
Old 02-26-2017, 05:02 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

stock volume stock pressure, my LS2, when I did my cam I put in an M295 and my pressure went up 5 PSI all around, cheap insurance a new pump, flip it over and pour oil in before install. Turn the impeller a few times, I got instant oil pressure at start up! look around I think I got mine at half of what the "corvette places" where charging.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:03 PM
ogulcanio
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Actually It depends on how big your cam is. Many shops suggests timing chain, oil pump etc for their cams. For the plugs and wires they are not a must. But IMHO change them while car is being worked on so you dont have to worry. But they are not a must...
Old 02-27-2017, 10:59 AM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

when your done and ready for "start-up" hold the gas pedal to the floor, all the way down. this cuts the fuel off, crank the car for a few seconds, and a little more and a little more, then take your foot off and God willing WA-LA it lives! instant oil pressure!
Old 02-27-2017, 12:19 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

Received 150 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by TRK8
Hey Guys

I'm doing a cam swap on my 08 ls3 Corvette it has 38k miles and was wondering if I have to change the:

- oil pump
- spark plugs and wires (changed them 5k miles ago)

Nope.

No need at all

Get notified of new replies

To Cam swap question

Quick Reply: Cam swap question