C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

advice on diff/trans upgrades for drag racing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 07:31 PM
Jeffhoff89
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advice on diff/trans upgrades for drag racing?

trying to get more info on everything needed in a trans and diff upgrades to be able to drag race. the car is on its second diff rebuild... ended up breaking output shaft on trans going into the diff.. 1st time i had it out i replaced both shafts in diff and gear to stiffen it up. Ring and pinion is still stock and trans is stock. i do know i need a brace for everything. What other upgrades should i be doing to make this car hold up for drag racing? im running a radial and have been lowering tire pressure to 18-20psi and dumping the clutch---RXT isnt really allowing me to slip it much. appreciate any advice!
Old 02-26-2017, 08:56 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

if you have the funds get a tr6060 and rear diff from an 08+ z06, manual grand sport, or zr1, and have it built... it is an expensive swap so be forewarned... if you have time you can search around for good deals on the trans/diff and then send them out to get built and if your trans is still good that will be worth some money to help out with the incurred cost of the swap... you might also consider a driveshaft... I would recommend Rick at rkt56 or rpm if you are sending it out to get built and if you are in TX I know a guy in the dfw area that is pretty good with the t56/6060 transmissions

Last edited by neutron82; 02-26-2017 at 08:56 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:05 PM
Jeffhoff89
Intermediate

thank you for the info! planning on a rebuild on a t56. will this hold up with the right parts? if so recommend what good parts to put back in with the output shaft i snapped in half?
Old 02-26-2017, 09:20 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

what brand shafts are breaking and do you know what's causing it?... maybe wheelhop or just a lot of power paired with good traction?... dss makes some good output shafts, from what I understand those are about as good as it gets... you could also opt for a quaife or wavetrac diff to replace the stock guts and pair that with dss shafts and I would think that's about as strong as you could make it... if you keep the c5 stuff a brace and diff mount like pfadt/hoosier will definitely help
Old 02-26-2017, 11:19 PM
silver408z
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Also get rid of the drag radials on a stick. A bias ply/slick will absorb the shock of the clutch grabbing and help keep from breaking parts. Even mickey Thompson recommends slicks for standard transmissions.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:27 AM
Jeffhoff89
Intermediate

Originally Posted by neutron82
what brand shafts are breaking and do you know what's causing it?... maybe wheelhop or just a lot of power paired with good traction?... dss makes some good output shafts, from what I understand those are about as good as it gets... you could also opt for a quaife or wavetrac diff to replace the stock guts and pair that with dss shafts and I would think that's about as strong as you could make it... if you keep the c5 stuff a brace and diff mount like pfadt/hoosier will definitely help

i upgraded to the DSS 1000hp half shafts inside diff the last time it broke. 425 hp maybe.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:29 AM
Jeffhoff89
Intermediate

Originally Posted by silver408z
Also get rid of the drag radials on a stick. A bias ply/slick will absorb the shock of the clutch grabbing and help keep from breaking parts. Even mickey Thompson recommends slicks for standard transmissions.
i had no idea about that. thanks for letting me know!
Old 02-27-2017, 01:34 AM
Jeffhoff89
Intermediate

Originally Posted by neutron82
i broke the output shaft on the trans this time as well as the housing that hook together trans/diff. sounds like i need to brace everything and get rid of the radials!
Old 02-27-2017, 01:08 PM
493lszosix
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffhoff89
i broke the output shaft on the trans this time as well as the housing that hook together trans/diff. sounds like i need to brace everything and get rid of the radials!
Yes switch to a bias ply it's easier on parts and in your diff upgrade to a c6z pinion support, this will help keep trans main shaft from flexing and breaking and of course the brace as mentioned

I'm running the rxt clutch also, don't slip it pretty much dump it off a 2 step, I've launched as high as 7000 and trans and diff have held pretty good but things will break when you race that's just part of it, I have ecs brace, c6z output shafts and pinion support, billet keys and springs in trans and bronze shift pads

Get notified of new replies

To advice on diff/trans upgrades for drag racing?

Quick Reply: advice on diff/trans upgrades for drag racing?