Old 02-27-2017, 08:30 PM
jkg2101
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default does anyone know this 69 L88 737632

Hi everyone -
I have come across a 1969 L88 (claimed to be) - there is no tank sticker

I have been able to track down some of the history over the last 20 years

the mechanicals have potentially correct date codes and cast numbers.

the registry shows the info from an ad that is a few years old, so may or may not be accurate.

the serial number is 737632 - a late 1969 coupe, white, 4 speed, with tilt column

But there is no tank sticker and no protecto-plate to really document it, just an old original sales invoice from california, that can't be authenticated.

The car looks like it may be the real thing, but I have seen too many well executed fakes of big-buck corvettes over the years, so I am cynical

just wondering if anyone knows of this car - has some drag racing history it seems, based on old time slips in the car. also was in a front end accident and had some repairs somewhere along the way. Used to be a california car, now is on the east coast hiding.

I can give more info on the numbers if people want - but the block, trans and carb have the right numbers and dates. the heads and intake date codes are not visible. the tank sticker has been missing as far back as I can get history. original owner was John Temple in California according tot he sales invoice. Justin
Old 02-28-2017, 12:27 AM
ed427vette
Melting Slicks

Received 657 Likes on 468 Posts

Lets see the engine pad.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:51 AM
jkg2101
Racer

here is a pic of engine stamp pad
Attached Images  
Old 02-28-2017, 10:23 AM
ed427vette
Melting Slicks

I can tell you immediately its a restamp.
The 3's in the VIN derivative should not have a flat top. They used the wrong font. The 3 should be completely curved like the one pictured below.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:21 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

I have to agree....here is the stamp from my old 69' 427/400:

Jebby
Attached Images  
Old 02-28-2017, 06:07 PM
jkg2101
Racer

If that is true, then the owner's story begins to unravel.
I do think this may have been a true L88 car, but, like many of us, it has been through quite a bit over the years. Why do people have to be so deceptive? This HOBBY is supposed to be fun. What could be more fun than discussing the history of an old car, even if it is not original, they all have a story to tell. I guess it is all about the money. Is it a car or is it a commodity?

What's an L88 worth without documentation and with a non-original drivetrain? What an interesting car it could be - with all those neat L88 features. Too bad the owner wants to sell it for a small fortune.

For what it's worth, you WILL see me driving my kids to baseball practice next summer when I finish the restoration on my numbers matching, original engine, tank stickered 67 tripower corvette.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:00 PM
ed427vette
Melting Slicks

It may be an authentic L88 but without docs it will be nearly impossible to prove. If the car had road race history then the original entry sheets or logs from the races would sometimes carry the vin information but that's a long shot.

When I looked at the pics on the Registry it was missing many unique parts found only on the L88.

Its just the way it is. Right now on eBay there is a L89 with a price tag of $225k. Too bad the tank sticker and protecto plate are total fakes.......the original trim tag shows ZQ4 standard interior but the protecto plate shows 402 leather (not to mention in 69 the Corvette protecto plates did not have interior info on them....) and the tank sticker shows leather also. There are more problems than that with the tank sticker but if the car is real (which I doubt very much) the fake paper did not help the cause.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:18 PM
jkg2101
Racer

My dad owned a 68 or 69 L89 red car - it was real sweet. Like all of his other cars, he sold it to make room/money to buy something else. I sure miss those old cars, especially if the value has really shot up so much. I think these special C2 and C3 cars now are like blue chip stocks, but not sure how long it will go on. Not sure the right people are buying them anymore...

I wish I could have a garage to house all the cars we sold over the years - Tigers, Panteras, corvettes, mustangs (we have had at least one of each of the classic 65-74 models), plus a host of others.

They're all just memories now - each with their own story. The real story is interesting enough. i dont get why people feel the need to make up fake stories just to make a buck (or 100,000) - i guess this means I am getting old ---
Old 02-28-2017, 07:20 PM
jkg2101
Racer

Plus, I'd rather have a car with original body panels and original interior, than the original engine block. the whole point of an old car is to feel the 'oldness,' to make you feel something - passion, emotion. but that's just me.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:34 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Fakes be it a rolex watch or l88 corvette can mean big money to a shady seller,
A 7k bb corvette project becomes a 200k cha ching with that right paperwork, or a naive buyer,

So with so much mystery with paperwork and some being faked if a cat sells a corvette claiming its a rare this or that if later proven bogus can the seller get sued?
Old 03-01-2017, 12:19 PM
steersdad
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Default criminal acts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
Fakes be it a rolex watch or l88 corvette can mean big money to a shady seller,
A 7k bb corvette project becomes a 200k cha ching with that right paperwork, or a naive buyer,

So with so much mystery with paperwork and some being faked if a cat sells a corvette claiming its a rare this or that if later proven bogus can the seller get sued?
I'm not a lawyer, but I have a daughter and son in law who both are. When you create false documentation, and misrepresent what the car truly is, you are committing a fraud. Yes, you can be sued, but also prosecuted criminally.

In this case, I would just confront the seller and tell him the information he is providing is suspect. If the car is priced reasonably, buy it and tear up the bushirt papers and enjoy it. If the price is in the stratosphere, walk away from it. Jeez, there are enough characters trying to sell $10,000 cars for $30,000 as it is.

The car, like anything else, is worth what someone is willing to pay. Again, if you like and want it, make a realistic offer. If you don't like or really want it, then say sayonara. (That;s Adios in Japanese).
Old 03-01-2017, 01:17 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by steersdad
I'm not a lawyer, but I have a daughter and son in law who both are. When you create false documentation, and misrepresent what the car truly is, you are committing a fraud. Yes, you can be sued, but also prosecuted criminally.

In this case, I would just confront the seller and tell him the information he is providing is suspect. If the car is priced reasonably, buy it and tear up the bushirt papers and enjoy it. If the price is in the stratosphere, walk away from it. Jeez, there are enough characters trying to sell $10,000 cars for $30,000 as it is.

The car, like anything else, is worth what someone is willing to pay. Again, if you like and want it, make a realistic offer. If you don't like or really want it, then say sayonara. (That;s Adios in Japanese).

Anugṛhito'smi ( thats Gracias in sanskrit ) :-)

I want to be clear that i wasnt talking about this threads car nor im i in the market,
But rather i hear a lot of stories and talk of this or that rare car and the cat selling it as a rare car to get the top dollars i was just hopping that if a seller was mistaken or out right lied they can get sued...seems only fair.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:10 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

In my opinion (and I have no documentation to support my opinion) There are few if any 427 HiPo cars with "original" engines, and NO...that is zero (well, maybe the 14 mile L-88) L-88s that have been raced or street driven, that have original engines!

Get notified of new replies

To does anyone know this 69 L88 737632

Quick Reply: does anyone know this 69 L88 737632