C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z06 overheating during track use

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 06:14 AM
Bruce Millner
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Z06 overheating during track use

Hi

Had my Z06 auto on the track this weekend for first time. 3km track, 15 minute track time x 6 sessions throughout the day, speed up to 200kph/125MPH

Engine oil temp gauge running quite high, then audible alarm sounds, gauge in the red and car goes into limp mode. Did this throughout the day.

Air temperature on the day 20 Celcius - 68 Farenheit
Air conditioner off

Oil level slightly above max line (Manual says to add 500ml/0.53 quart extra oil for track use)

Any advice on how to fix this problem. The car is in New Zealand so I can't take it to the dealer as there isn't one!

TIA

Last edited by Bruce Millner; 03-07-2017 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Additonal text needed
Old 03-07-2017, 08:31 AM
BlueDevilZ51
Melting Slicks

Received 389 Likes on 271 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/3662182-zo6-overheating-issues-mega-merge-253.html#post1594216937
Old 03-07-2017, 01:06 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce Millner
Hi

Had my Z06 auto on the track this weekend for first time. 3km track, 15 minute track time x 6 sessions throughout the day, speed up to 200kph/125MPH

Engine oil temp gauge running quite high, then audible alarm sounds, gauge in the red and car goes into limp mode....
Yep - that's what they do! At least the automatic transmissions ones.

You can read that mega-merge thread with more than 5,000 posts that BlueDevilZ51 posted, but you're just gonna read that your experience is very much like all the other forum members that track their auto trans C7 Z06 Vettes.

Even though the manuals don't have the overheating problem, you can add the secondary radiator (2017's come with it). The auto trans cars have a transmission cooler (actually the same radiator used as the secondary engine coolant radiator in the manual trans cars) in the same place, so you can't add the secondary engine coolant radiator in the auto trans cars.

There are some aftermarket radiators (Dewitts is popular), but I'm not sure that cures the overheating problem.

One of the main things that helps is to run the trans in Manual mode and use the paddles to short shift down at 6,000 rpm or below. If you leave it in Drive it goes pretty much right up to redline for all the shifts, and that really heats up the engine.

Good luck with the problem!!

Old 03-08-2017, 05:29 AM
Bruce Millner
Advanced

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Yep - that's what they do! At least the automatic transmissions ones.

You can read that mega-merge thread with more than 5,000 posts that BlueDevilZ51 posted, but you're just gonna read that your experience is very much like all the other forum members that track their auto trans C7 Z06 Vettes.

Even though the manuals don't have the overheating problem, you can add the secondary radiator (2017's come with it). The auto trans cars have a transmission cooler (actually the same radiator used as the secondary engine coolant radiator in the manual trans cars) in the same place, so you can't add the secondary engine coolant radiator in the auto trans cars.

There are some aftermarket radiators (Dewitts is popular), but I'm not sure that cures the overheating problem.

One of the main things that helps is to run the trans in Manual mode and use the paddles to short shift down at 6,000 rpm or below. If you leave it in Drive it goes pretty much right up to redline for all the shifts, and that really heats up the engine.

Good luck with the problem!!

So basically I have bought a lemon. ...
Old 03-08-2017, 08:30 AM
LoganExplosion
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 112 Posts

no ****
Old 03-08-2017, 09:16 AM
mustclime
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

LOL, it's called "track prep", have you tried it? You went out and put money on a car that is very close in performance to Porsche gt3's and Lambo's but at less than half the price and then complain the you may work on the car? My 2016 z51 needed some prep and it has 200 less hp. Your cooling systems need help, there are a bunch of threads on here that have ideas that work. Look around and then get under the car.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:18 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

You can extend your run time by shifting at 6K and using manual shift. The auto also shifts to lower gears a lot of the time but that isn't needed with the torque level of a Z06. When running in manual mode you don't need to downshift to 2nd when 3rd will do just as well. The manual transmission cars can run most tracks in third, fourth and sometimes fifth gear on some of the longer straights. That means running at lower revs and keeping engine temps in check. Make sure you switch to 15W50 oil as well.

Bill
Old 03-08-2017, 11:26 PM
stab1991
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts

Be nice, the man has a legitimate complaint. The main problem is that there is no frontal area on our cars with the stock bumper. So there is no way to get enough air to pass through any of the radiators to cool the amount of heat that the LT4 produces. I believe it's LG that has some proper cooling solutions which includes opening 2 ducts into the front bumper.

Yes, as far as a track ready car, GM screwed the pooch on this point.
But they knew that most Z owners never see the track. And in normal street use, there are no problems.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:33 PM
Bruce Millner
Advanced

Originally Posted by mustclime
LOL, it's called "track prep", have you tried it? You went out and put money on a car that is very close in performance to Porsche gt3's and Lambo's but at less than half the price and then complain the you may work on the car? My 2016 z51 needed some prep and it has 200 less hp. Your cooling systems need help, there are a bunch of threads on here that have ideas that work. Look around and then get under the car.
GM specifically states in the owner's manual that the vehicle is suitable for track use. Your comments are not especially helpful for the simple reason that there is no reliable fix. If there was I would have found it by now.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:59 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Yes, it is a fail on GM's part, and any way of denying is would be foolish in my opinion.

That said, there are real solutions. LG, G-Speed (or something like that?), etc. have cooling solutions where they fix several issues like possibility of air in supercharger intake charge cooling system, and additional openings up front (they provide easy templates) to provide additional oil and supercharger cooling. They do work great, and can transform your car to be a track monster.

Now, these kits can cost nearly $5K. You should not have to spend money like this to track-prep a car that's already supposed to be track ready; you're right, but it is what it is, and there is a solution. After all, it's not much more than two sets of track tires : P

If your car is stock, you could also consider trading it in, and getting a '17+ M7 Z06, which comes with an improved intake cooling system (has longer runners, and a higher engine cover, etc.), and also an Aux radiator to reign in the oil temps. Since that would keep your warranty intact, it might make sense, too.

In short: yes, GM is at fault. Yes, there are solutions. Yes, you can trade-in your car for a better one, and that might be a '17+ Z06 M7. It could also be a Grand Sport, if you're OK with the HP drop. Or a Camaro ZL1, or better yet, a Camaro ZL1 1LE : )

LG's solution above

Last edited by X25; 03-09-2017 at 04:06 AM.
Old 03-09-2017, 02:55 AM
Bruce Millner
Advanced

Originally Posted by X25
Yes, it is a fail on GM's part, and any way of denying is would be foolish in my opinion.

That said, there are real solutions. LG, G-Speed (or something like that?), etc. have cooling solutions where they fix several issues like possibility of air in supercharger intake charge cooling system, and additional openings up front (they provide easy templates) to provide additional oil and supercharger cooling. They do work great, and can transform your car to be a track monster.

Now, these kits can cost nearly $5K. You should have to spend money like this to track-prep a car that's already supposed to be track ready; you're right, but it is what it is, and there is a solution. After all, it's not much more than two sets of track tires : P

If your car is stock, you could also consider trading it in, and getting a '17+ M7 Z06, which comes with an improved intake cooling system (has longer runners, and a higher engine cover, etc.), and also an Aux radiator to reign in the oil temps. Since that would keep your warranty intact, it might make sense, too.

In short: yes, GM is at fault. Yes, there are solutions. Yes, you can trade-in your car for a better one, and that might be a '17+ Z06 M7. It could also be a Grand Sport, if you're OK with the HP drop. Or a Camaro ZL1, or better yet, a Camaro ZL1 1LE : )

LG's solution above
I, and thank you for your promising response. I imported the car to my home country New Zealand in December, and it is an exotic here, with very few available. The warranty would not be valid in NZ and GM have waived their liability outside North America. As we drive on the right I had to obtain a special LHD permit, a condition of issue being that I can't resell the car for 4 years.

I have no issue spending $5K on a fix, and once fixed it will have regular track use. May I ask if you have made the mod to your vehicle?

TIA
Bruce
Old 03-09-2017, 03:59 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

I actually do own a C7 Z51, so I don't have this issue myself, but I did not mind spending a bit of money to make my car perfect for me for track use, either (my build thread) : )

I've worked with LG motorsports on some of my projects, and they have held up to their end despite a few mix-ups, etc. I am sure others can chime in with their experiences with LG's kit and other companies' kits.

Their kit:
https://www.lgmotorsports.com/corvet...k-package.html

I'd personally get this with oil cooler, also consider auto trans cooler if your car is auto, and skip radiator (I personally think OEM rad is fine; thicker doesn't always mean better).

GSpeed is the other brand that I've heard of. Their kit is available here:
https://gspeed.com/product/c7-z06-cooling-stage-ii/

And here is their development thread with quite a bit of good info, including the very annoying air-in-the-cooling-system issue and how they fixed it:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...velopment.html

I've seriously considered living in NZ, but my company's NZ office is very small, and I would not have a good career opportunity : (

Best of luck!

Last edited by X25; 03-09-2017 at 04:05 AM.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:48 AM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Also be sure to change your brake fluid to one that handles the heat.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:32 PM
Koan
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Katech also has a similar ZO6 cooling solution. It is a little better looking, IMHO, and is also more xpensice.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:11 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

No, a lemon means a lot of things - from the number of things that go wrong to the number of days it spends in the shop. But a car that fails to cool sufficiently in warm weather when pushed on a track might be disappointing, but it doesn't make the car a "lemon".

They track these all day every day in the heat of the Nevada desert at Spring Mountain. You can too. It means shifting yourself and using higher gears where possible on the straights and so on.

That means, in a practical sense, that you cannot be competitive because you cannot drive the car at its power limits in any weather for an extended period. In other words, if you were racing, you'd lose.

So it's not a race car. But it was never billed as one. It's sold as a track car. Can you track it? Sure, all day every day. Can you race it? Not really.

There's a lot of hate and angst over this issue, mostly from people who've never been to a track anyway, but also from people that legitimately had expectations of how the car would perform, and it let them down.

For the most part, and this is a generalization, the manual transmission cars manage quite well. People who buy cars to track them generally buy manuals anyway.

I've tracked my own automatic in 85F without incident. I've tracked the SM automatics in Nevada at 112F without incident when being careful. And I've overheated them when I wasn't careful.

Really, its up to you how you manage the car's thermal envelope on the track. If your definition of success is to be able to push the car as hard as you want in any gear in any weather, it will fail.

If your definition of success is to have a blast at the track and maybe have to short shift the car on the straight when it's hot out, you'll have a great time with it.

It's really up to you, then. The easiest answer is to get worked up and blame GM. Since they won't be fixing it, my decision was to live with it and love it anyway. That'll get you the most hate of all around here.
The following users liked this post:
itaylorm (03-21-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 08:15 PM
LagunaSecaZ06
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

Well said.

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
No, a lemon means a lot of things - from the number of things that go wrong to the number of days it spends in the shop. But a car that fails to cool sufficiently in warm weather when pushed on a track might be disappointing, but it doesn't make the car a "lemon".

They track these all day every day in the heat of the Nevada desert at Spring Mountain. You can too. It means shifting yourself and using higher gears where possible on the straights and so on.

That means, in a practical sense, that you cannot be competitive because you cannot drive the car at its power limits in any weather for an extended period. In other words, if you were racing, you'd lose.

So it's not a race car. But it was never billed as one. It's sold as a track car. Can you track it? Sure, all day every day. Can you race it? Not really.

There's a lot of hate and angst over this issue, mostly from people who've never been to a track anyway, but also from people that legitimately had expectations of how the car would perform, and it let them down.

For the most part, and this is a generalization, the manual transmission cars manage quite well. People who buy cars to track them generally buy manuals anyway.

I've tracked my own automatic in 85F without incident. I've tracked the SM automatics in Nevada at 112F without incident when being careful. And I've overheated them when I wasn't careful.

Really, its up to you how you manage the car's thermal envelope on the track. If your definition of success is to be able to push the car as hard as you want in any gear in any weather, it will fail.

If your definition of success is to have a blast at the track and maybe have to short shift the car on the straight when it's hot out, you'll have a great time with it.

It's really up to you, then. The easiest answer is to get worked up and blame GM. Since they won't be fixing it, my decision was to live with it and love it anyway. That'll get you the most hate of all around here.
Old 03-12-2017, 06:27 AM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

For those customers who are truly upset over this issue, there have been many stories of GM buying cars back. If you document the issue and then run the GM chain they may offer it.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 overheating during track use

Old 03-13-2017, 11:09 AM
tlang
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi

Engine oil temp gauge running quite high, then audible alarm sounds, gauge in the red and car goes into limp mode. Did this throughout the day.

Air temperature on the day 20 Celcius - 68 Farenheit
Air conditioner off

Oil level slightly above max line (Manual says to add 500ml/0.53 quart extra oil for track use)

Any advice on how to fix this problem. The car is in New Zealand so I can't take it to the dealer as there isn't one!

TIA
i just added the Aux radiator and power-steering ducts to my C7.R ZO6. For such a small radiator, the cooling change was impressive. Before the additional radiator, I would see temps 220-230F, just playing around on the Texas roads. After the additional radiator, the temps are running 20-25 degrees cooler. Part Number: 84037858 - I found it for $840
Old 03-13-2017, 11:53 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by tlang
i just added the Aux radiator....Part Number: 84037858...
He has an A8, so he can't add the Secondary Radiator. His transmission cooler is taking up that space!!

Old 03-13-2017, 09:56 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

However, he can modify his driving style similar to the way a lot of M7 drivers drive their cars and his car will last longer before overheating. Yes, it isn't the snappiest way to drive the A8 and it means that you go from outrunning the other cars on the track by a lot to outrunning them by a little. The result is still the same you outrun them and so it isn't such a big disaster if the driver manages the car instead of letting the car manage him.

Bill

Quick Reply: Z06 overheating during track use