C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 09:48 AM
willem wallace
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Fuel Advice

I posted in Tech as I felt that this question would be better addressed by people who see the disassembled components of an engine. I have just been fortunate enough to be able to purchase a 2012 LS3 Grand Sport, 5000 mile, one owner car. I keep my cars, if I like them, a long time. That being said, my question is regarding Top Tier fuel. I live in an area where the fuel is available, but presents a slight inconvenience to get to the station that sells it. That, coupled with the added cost of the fuel leads me to my question. Does the use of Top Tier fuels make a significant difference in an engines life and performance over the course of 100,000 miles. Would a better or as effective approach be to add a fuel cleaning additive such as Techron on a regular basis in conjunction with more convenient, close by, high octane fuel?
Old 03-16-2017, 10:17 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

IMO, all fuel is fine. Just run premium, and add a bottle of techron every oil change or so. I've never cared about where I get gas.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:12 AM
KENS80V
Melting Slicks

Received 124 Likes on 102 Posts

The problem is not in the engines life but the fuel level sensors life. It has been reported many times on here that running non top tier fuel can lead to contamination of the fuel level sensors. Adding Techron would help but in my opinion is a band-aid solution. The cost of dropping the tanks to change out the fuel level sensors can be well over $1000 depending where you take it. There are many many posts on this forum about the problem.

The non top tier fuels contain higher levels of sulfur contaminants and leave deposits on the fuel sensors critical surfaces. There is even a GM Tech bulletin out on the problem.

Last edited by KENS80V; 03-16-2017 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:26 PM
acheman8
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by KENS80V
The non top tier fuels contain higher levels of sulfur contaminants and leave deposits on the fuel sensors critical surfaces. There is even a GM Tech bulletin out on the problem.
This blanket statement with no qualifications is simply not correct. What makes a Top Tier fuel a Top Tier fuel is the additive, and ONLY the additive.

All base gasoline product refined and sold in the US has to meet sulfur specs (as well as other contaminants) as outlined in the code of federal regulations, part 80. The base gasoline can come from ANY refiner that meets those EPA specifications

No retail outlet such as Exxon, Mobil, Chevron or Shell gets 100%l of their gasoline from one of their own company refineries. ALL of that branded gasoline DOES, however, get the proprietary additive package (typically at the distribution terminal) that differentiates those brands from each other.

So to answer your question, I think you would be just fine if you filled up anywhere that is convenient, using the proper octane of course, and dump an occasional bottle of Techron in the tank.

Now, having said all that, I'm surprised you can't fine a Top Tier retailer in your area. There are a surprising number of outlets that meet Top Tier specs. Click below for a list...

http://www.toptiergas.com/media/TOP_...te_SXOOBEs.pdf
The following users liked this post:
CriticalmassGT (03-24-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 08:51 PM
KENS80V
Melting Slicks

Received 124 Likes on 102 Posts

It's the additives in "top tier fuel" that help remove the sulfur and other deposits. I misspoke in saying that non tier gas has more sulfur. All the major auto manufactures recommend using top tier rated fuel including BMW, M-Benz, Audi, GM, Honda and Toyota.

Use a bottle of techron once in awhile or use top tier rated fuel. Whatever floats your boat!

The important point is the use of non top tier fuel could be problematic to the fuel level sensors without an additive.

Personally, I'd rather have the benefits of the detergents used continually in my fuel supply rather than in higher doses on an occasional use.

Last edited by KENS80V; 03-17-2017 at 09:23 PM.
willem wallace (03-17-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 12:59 AM
acheman8
Racer

Originally Posted by KENS80V
It's the additives in "top tier fuel" that help remove the sulfur and other deposits. I misspoke in saying that non tier gas has more sulfur. All the major auto manufactures recommend using top tier rated fuel including BMW, M-Benz, Audi, GM, Honda and Toyota.

Use a bottle of techron once in awhile or use top tier rated fuel. Whatever floats your boat!

The important point is the use of non top tier fuel could be problematic to the fuel level sensors without an additive.

Personally, I'd rather have the benefits of the detergents used continually in my fuel supply rather than in higher doses on an occasional use.
Agreed!
Old 03-20-2017, 12:01 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Forum member "LDB" is a retired oil company engineer, he says that using Top Tier fuel will definitely keep the interior of the engine cleaner over the long run. Using a non-Top Tier fuel will result in more internal deposits, but how much will depend on the qualities of the brand you use, they all claim to be great but talk is cheap.

He also said that adding a bottle of Techron or GM Fuel Treatment (same thing) occasionally will help clean up the engine somewhat but not do as good a job as staying with Top Tier. You can do an Advanced Search for his previous posts and learn a lot about gasoline.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:32 PM
acheman8
Racer

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Forum member "LDB" is a retired oil company engineer, he says that using Top Tier fuel will definitely keep the interior of the engine cleaner over the long run. Using a non-Top Tier fuel will result in more internal deposits, but how much will depend on the qualities of the brand you use, they all claim to be great but talk is cheap.

He also said that adding a bottle of Techron or GM Fuel Treatment (same thing) occasionally will help clean up the engine somewhat but not do as good a job as staying with Top Tier. You can do an Advanced Search for his previous posts and learn a lot about gasoline.
Forum member acheman8 is a CURRENT oil company engineer with over 30 years experience in the downstream business.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:45 PM
GeneSch
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by acheman8
This blanket statement with no qualifications is simply not correct. What makes a Top Tier fuel a Top Tier fuel is the additive, and ONLY the additive.

All base gasoline product refined and sold in the US has to meet sulfur specs (as well as other contaminants) as outlined in the code of federal regulations, part 80. The base gasoline can come from ANY refiner that meets those EPA specifications

No retail outlet such as Exxon, Mobil, Chevron or Shell gets 100%l of their gasoline from one of their own company refineries. ALL of that branded gasoline DOES, however, get the proprietary additive package (typically at the distribution terminal) that differentiates those brands from each other.

So to answer your question, I think you would be just fine if you filled up anywhere that is convenient, using the proper octane of course, and dump an occasional bottle of Techron in the tank.

Now, having said all that, I'm surprised you can't fine a Top Tier retailer in your area. There are a surprising number of outlets that meet Top Tier specs. Click below for a list...

Sounds like the best thing to do is to use a little bit of every ones fuel this way you never over dose on one additives..

What about E85? How are the flex fuels on the floats and sensors?

Last edited by GeneSch; 03-22-2017 at 07:46 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:32 PM
acheman8
Racer

Originally Posted by GeneSch
Sounds like the best thing to do is to use a little bit of every ones fuel this way you never over dose on one additives..

What about E85? How are the flex fuels on the floats and sensors?
All of the non-metallics in an E-85 engine are SUPPOSED to be compatible with ethanol. SUPPOSED to be. I'm not gonna vouch for the auto manufacturers...
GeneSch (03-22-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 09:17 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Forum member acheman8 is a CURRENT oil company engineer with over 30 years experience in the downstream business.
When you have some extra time, we'd appreciate it if you would do an Advanced Search under his name "LDB" and "gasoline", read his more recent posts (he's been posting for a long time), and tell us what you agree/disagree with.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:46 PM
Rick369
Burning Brakes

Received 218 Likes on 150 Posts

I have owned 2 C5's and 2 C6's. Have always used 93 octane top tier gasoline in all of them. Never had a fuel level sensor problem in any of them.

Where I live, my choices are Kwik Trip, Mobil, BP and Speedway. All but Speedway sell top tier gas. The price per gallon is exactly the same for all 4 brands in my area. I normally fill up at Kwik Trip because they are the only brand in my area that has "Top Tier Gasoline Guaranteed" on their pumps. I will occasionally fill up with Mobil.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:15 AM
CriticalmassGT
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

And Costco actually has separate tanks of additive and they add it when the tanker comes to fill the fuel tanks.

And yeah, it's worth it, especially when you combine the top tier fuel (QT is also top tier and both Costco and QT aren't much more expensive than non-top-tier stations). with an oil that has a good additive pack with detergents and friction modifiers.

Last time I looked BP was not on the top tier list anymore.

Last edited by CriticalmassGT; 03-24-2017 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:14 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by CriticalmassGT
And Costco actually has separate tanks of additive and they add it when the tanker comes to fill the fuel tanks.

And yeah, it's worth it, especially when you combine the top tier fuel (QT is also top tier and both Costco and QT aren't much more expensive than non-top-tier stations). with an oil that has a good additive pack with detergents and friction modifiers.

Last time I looked BP was not on the top tier list anymore.
As of 5 minutes ago, BP is on the Top Tier list. For some reason, they list all three grades separately instead of just saying "BP".

For many years BP said that their Premium met the TT specs but not their Regular; the TT organization requires that all grades sold at all stations must meet the spec and so BP wasn't on the list..

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 03-24-2017 at 02:15 PM.
CriticalmassGT (03-29-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 09:21 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

[/URL]
Since you're a current engineer with an oil company, I wonder if you could answer a couple of questions. What is the occasional time period to use a bottle of Techron along with Top Tier gas---every three fill ups, every oil change (5K miles, typically), etc.?

And last, have you tested/torn down engines in the lab to see the effects of no-Techron used, Techron used every three fill ups, etc.? Maybe there is some other method to test engines without a full tear-down. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:41 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

He seems to be saying that you can skip buying Top Tier gas, and just dump in a bottle of Techron occasionally.

I wonder what his recommended interval is, and if he is indeed saying that an occasional bottle of Techron is an adequate substitute for Top Tier.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:32 PM
cb1980
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

maybe it is just Techron trying to sell their product but on the bottle it says every 1000 miles for best performance or something to that effect. I just added a bottle in my new to me C6 and will probably go with that interval of 1 bottle every 1000 miles

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Advice

Old 03-27-2017, 08:17 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by cb1980
maybe it is just Techron trying to sell their product but on the bottle it says every 1000 miles for best performance or something to that effect. I just added a bottle in my new to me C6 and will probably go with that interval of 1 bottle every 1000 miles
I wouldn't do it every 1,000 miles.

See here: "...To keep the entire fuel system clean, use TECHRON Concentrate Plus every 3,000 miles or at scheduled oil change intervals, not to exceed twice per oil change.

That is from Chevron's own page, under subtitle "Applications." See for yourself.

http://www.chevronlubricants.com/en_...l#.WNkCY_nyvIU
Old 03-27-2017, 10:21 AM
acheman8
Racer

Originally Posted by AORoads
I wouldn't do it every 1,000 miles.

See here: "...To keep the entire fuel system clean, use TECHRON Concentrate Plus every 3,000 miles or at scheduled oil change intervals, not to exceed twice per oil change.

That is from Chevron's own page, under subtitle "Applications." See for yourself.

http://www.chevronlubricants.com/en_...l#.WNkCY_nyvIU
I would say EITHER use Top Tier fuel, OR add a bottle of Techron every oil change. Doing both is not necessary.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:10 PM
John Harry
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 270 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by cb1980
maybe it is just Techron trying to sell their product but on the bottle it says every 1000 miles for best performance or something to that effect.
There are two Techron products - Fuel Injector Cleaner to be used every 1000 miles, and Concentrate Plus to be used every 3000 miles. You want the latter.

Quick Reply: Fuel Advice