Sponsored by:

76 Stingray Starter Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 12:19 PM
dgshelto
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 76 Stingray Starter Issue

This is my first post here and I've been battling starter issues on my 76' for a month now. After 3 different starters, I've settled with a new one from Nappa, got it installed (verified gap between starter gear and flexplate), and when I go to crank I receive the god awful humming/grinding with what sounds like engagement with the flexplate teeth but there is no cranking. The flexplate teeth all look fine, I pulled and bench tested the starter yesterday (passed) and I'm just about out of ideas.

Please help!

Last edited by dgshelto; 03-20-2017 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:54 PM
jkippin
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 226 Likes on 148 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Try using a different brand.
I bought a starter no brand name listed but it came from the blue and yellow sign LOL. Anyway had 3 within a month in the car. Finally I went with a Powermaster and its been fine ever since. (probably just jinxed myself).
The following users liked this post:
dgshelto (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 01:02 PM
dgshelto
Cruising

Originally Posted by jkippin
Try using a different brand.
I bought a starter no brand name listed but it came from the blue and yellow sign LOL. Anyway had 3 within a month in the car. Finally I went with a Powermaster and its been fine ever since. (probably just jinxed myself).
Do you happen to know which starter you bought from Powermaster?
Old 03-20-2017, 01:03 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

What engine, flexplate, Trans ETC. do you have installed? Is this a new problem, did the original starter you removed have this problem?
dgshelto (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 01:09 PM
dgshelto
Cruising

Originally Posted by Mr D.
What engine, flexplate, Trans ETC. do you have installed? Is this a new problem, did the original starter you removed have this problem?
Engine: V8 350 L-48 rebuilt, bored .040"
Flexplate: Not sure, probably should have just replaced it before installing the engine
Trans: Stock 4 speed..? sorry, not entirerly sure.

New starter, new problem. Previous starter (new from Autozone) was grinding pretty bad but would engage every once in awhile. Car towards end of complete rebuild, ready to hit the road once starter issue is addressed. With the new Nappa starter I haven't been able to crank the engine over.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:19 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dgshelto
Engine: V8 350 L-48 rebuilt, bored .040"
Flexplate: Not sure, probably should have just replaced it before installing the engine
Trans: Stock 4 speed..? sorry, not entirerly sure.

New starter, new problem. Previous starter (new from Autozone) was grinding pretty bad but would engage every once in awhile. Car towards end of complete rebuild, ready to hit the road once starter issue is addressed. With the new Nappa starter I haven't been able to crank the engine over.
A 4-Speed car has a flywheel not Flexplate, do you recall what size clutch plate and disc you used?

I don't think you have a starter problem, sounds like mis-matched parts or bad starter ring.

https://www.paragoncorvette.com/p-34...ring-gear.aspx

Last edited by Mr D.; 03-20-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:22 PM
jkippin
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

check the Fly wheel good. You may have some teeth ground down it maybe time for a new ring gear or flywheel. Also check that you have the correct starter 168 should be there not a 153 tooth. (but I am sure you know that)
The OEM starter worked great for about a year in mine then just gave up the ghost.
When I put in the "Blue and Yellow" starter is when I had a bunch of problems. They where new not rebuilt units.
As for which Power Master one I have... its a 9600 I do have 11.0;1 compression and its been fine with no issues.
dgshelto (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 01:25 PM
dgshelto
Cruising

A 4-Speed car has a flywheel not Flexplate, do you recall what size clutch plate and disc you used?

I don't think you have a starter problem, sounds like mis-matched parts or bad starter ring.
I forgot to mention that I have an automatic transmission. Isn't a flexplate related to automatic transmission cars? If so, that's what I have...or it is indeed a flywheel.

The teeth look good on the flexplate/flywheel, but it could potentially be the wrong one for the car, I'm not entirely sure (it came with the car when purchased... bad engine was pulled already).
Old 03-20-2017, 01:33 PM
jkippin
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

you indeed have a flex plate. is it mounted in the correct orientation? you would be surprised what I have seen
Old 03-20-2017, 02:06 PM
dgshelto
Cruising

you indeed have a flex plate. is it mounted in the correct orientation? you would be surprised what I have seen
I'm under the assumption that it is, my brother installed it (we've been tag-teaming the build) and he's much more knowledgable than I am.

I'll take a slow-mo video this weekend to give ya'll a better idea what's going on...sounds like I need to provide more information. For reference the sound I'm getting sounds like this (which may indeed be my problem):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRs0...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by dgshelto; 03-20-2017 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:10 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

I forgot to mention that I have an automatic transmission.
You said above you had a 4 speed, I assumed manual. I still think you have a flexplate issue and not a starter issue since this is starter #3 or so.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:17 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

For reference the sound I'm getting sounds like this (which may indeed be my problem):
I'm pretty sure there are no shims required when bolting a stock GM starter to a 350 engine that is bolted to a TH400 transmission using a stock flexplate. Easy enough to confirm this, lay your iPhone under the car, hit record than start the car.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:21 PM
dgshelto
Cruising

I'm pretty sure there are no shims required when bolting a stock GM starter to a 350 engine that is bolted to a TH400 transmission using a stock flexplate. Easy enough to confirm this, lay your iPhone under the car, hit record than start the car.
Shall do. I'll report back with a video and we can assess from there. If it is indeed a flexplate issue, do you have any guides on how to replace it?
Old 03-20-2017, 03:57 PM
dgshelto
Cruising

Shall do - I'll report back this weekend with a video and we can assess from there.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:04 PM
jkippin
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

looking at the video it looks like the pinion is hitting the ring gear move the starter out to the holes for a168 tooth ring gear. the starter should be multi holed to do this
Old 03-20-2017, 04:39 PM
Mark_Milner
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

You need this information.

The straight across pattern is for stock 12-3/4-inch diameter flywheels (typically 283/327) and flex plates (Powerglide) and the staggered pattern is for the 14-inch diameter flywheels (typically 350/396/427/454) and flex plates (typical Turbo 350/400).

Rebuilt starters have often had the mounting surface cut when rebuilding to give a smooth, flat surface and as such, normally require some shims to space them out so the gear doesn't hit or isn't too tight meshing with the ring gear.
dgshelto (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 04:58 PM
dgshelto
Cruising

Originally Posted by Mark_Milner
You need this information.

The straight across pattern is for stock 12-3/4-inch diameter flywheels (typically 283/327) and flex plates (Powerglide) and the staggered pattern is for the 14-inch diameter flywheels (typically 350/396/427/454) and flex plates (typical Turbo 350/400).

Rebuilt starters have often had the mounting surface cut when rebuilding to give a smooth, flat surface and as such, normally require some shims to space them out so the gear doesn't hit or isn't too tight meshing with the ring gear.
I have an offset mounting pattern...any way to verify I have a 168 tooth flex plate while it's installed?

Get notified of new replies

To 76 Stingray Starter Issue

Old 03-20-2017, 05:28 PM
jkippin
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

other than counting the teeth... no
it looks like you have a high torque starter it should have a dual straight mount so it will fit both flywheels. you may want to check it out.

I do agree with this as long as its a stock starter...
Old 03-20-2017, 05:37 PM
dgshelto
Cruising

other than counting the teeth... no
it looks like you have a high torque starter it should have a dual straight mount so it will fit both flywheels. you may want to check it out.

I do agree with this as long as its a stock starter...
Don't mistake the video I posted above for my current situation...that is just a random video pulled from Youtube to convey the sound I'm getting when I try to start my car. I'll post a video this weekend of my situation to better gauge what's going on.

Are you saying that my 76' can accommodate either a 12 3/4" or a 14" flex plate? As of now my starter with the offset bolt pattern, which I take it is for a 14" 168 toothed flex plate, is either engaging/hitting the flex plate, so can I assume it's the 14"?
Old 03-20-2017, 05:41 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Make sure you are using starter bolts that are knurled. This helps align the starter as the bolt holes are not that precise. Also never reuse the old starter bolts as the knurl tends to wear over time.

dgshelto (03-20-2017)

Quick Reply: 76 Stingray Starter Issue