C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Whiny rear end - Seeking General Diff Rebuild Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 08:10 AM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 115 Posts

Default Whiny rear end - Seeking General Diff Rebuild Advice

Hi folks.

The dif my '65 is has been making some whiny noises over the past few years. By the time we arrived in Carlisle last year (8 hour drive) it sounded like I had a supercharger belted down in the back!

I have been addressing other items further up the drivetrain and this spring will need to do the diff. Funds and time available for this job have been tight so I've needed to hold back on the diff job, but I'm going to need to do it.

I have read much but know very little about how sophisticated a repair/rebuild this would be. Admit I'm a bit intimidated after reading JackFit's incredibly detailed Gary Ramadei rebuild story, so would appreciate any good thoughts or advice. With apologies for stating the obvious, I want this done right and done once.

1. How long a job (avg) is it for an experienced tech to rebuild a midyear differential?

2. What should be my expected cost?

3. Should I seek out a tech specifically experienced with midyear diffs vs someone with general diff experience? Are our diffs that unique?

4. I am not concerned with originality (that ship sailed long ago.) Is it possible to buy an already rebuilt midyear posi diff, or are there perhaps any newer, better diff designs available?

Much thanks, in advance!
Old 03-21-2017, 08:18 AM
65specialk
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Remove it and send it to Blairs.

You will be glad you did. Are you sure it is not a wheel bearing?
Originally Posted by PaulUptime
Hi folks.

The dif my '65 is has been making some whiny noises over the past few years. By the time we arrived in Carlisle last year (8 hour drive) it sounded like I had a supercharger belted down in the back!

I have been addressing other items further up the drivetrain and this spring will need to do the diff. Funds and time available for this job have been tight so I've needed to hold back on the diff job, but I'm going to need to do it.

I have read much but know very little about how sophisticated a repair/rebuild this would be. Admit I'm a bit intimidated after reading JackFit's incredibly detailed Gary Ramadei rebuild story, so would appreciate any good thoughts or advice. With apologies for stating the obvious, I want this done right and done once.

1. How long a job (avg) is it for an experienced tech to rebuild a midyear differential?

3. Should I seek out a tech specifically experienced with midyear diffs vs someone with general diff experience? Are our diffs that unique?

4. I am not concerned with originality (that ship sailed long ago.) Is it possible to buy an already rebuilt midyear posi diff, or are there perhaps any newer, better diff designs available?

Much thanks, in advance!
Old 03-21-2017, 08:40 AM
4 Speed Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 338 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by 65specialk
Doing a 63-67 rear is no different than a 10/12 bolt or any other rear end. However the one thing that is different that most shops might not know is that you can't use the typical super shim side carrier bearing shims. These early mid-year cases are narrower than the later cases and you need to use the original style fixed thickness carrier shims. Not many people have these shims anymore. The later corvette cases are wider in this area of the case thus allowing the super shims that come in most bearing set-ups kits to be used. Years ago when ebay was mostly used by regular people I bought out a guy who had a boat load of GM shims still in GM wrappers and everything so for myself setting up these rears is not an issue. Other than that, backlash, pinion bearing preload gear pattern is all the same. Another item to note is that most standard bearing kits have the new stub axle needle bearings that have only 1/2 the amount of needles in them as the original bearings. Timken has the correct bearing with the full amount of needle bearings.
The following 4 users liked this post by 4 Speed Dave:
Frankie the Fink (03-21-2017), GTOguy (03-21-2017), PaulUptime (03-21-2017), silver837 (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 08:45 AM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 65specialk
Thanks for the suggestion. The answer is no, I'm not sure.
My rear trailing arms have never been off, so it could be.
Probably should do those at the same time.

The sound from the rear is only under load (no sound while coasting) so would that itself not rule out it being a bearing?

The holdup for me for just doing the T/A's now is that I'm in Canada and while Toronto's a big city with resources, Corvette parts are not one of them. The cost to ship/bring back new t/a's to swap becomes a bigger deal for me. I regularly visit the Detroit area, so if doing them would probably order a set already done shipped there, then bring them back into Canada myself. I figure the T/As will cost me about the same as the diff job (about $2k CAD)

Last edited by PaulUptime; 03-21-2017 at 08:52 AM. Reason: more details added
Old 03-21-2017, 08:51 AM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 4 Speed Dave
Doing a 63-67 rear is no different than a 10/12 bolt or any other rear end. However the one thing that is different that most shops might not know is that you can't use the typical super shim side carrier bearing shims. These early mid-year cases are narrower than the later cases and you need to use the original style fixed thickness carrier shims. Not many people have these shims anymore. The later corvette cases are wider in this area of the case thus allowing the super shims that come in most bearing set-ups kits to be used. Years ago when ebay was mostly used by regular people I bought out a guy who had a boat load of GM shims still in GM wrappers and everything so for myself setting up these rears is not an issue. Other than that, backlash, pinion bearing preload gear pattern is all the same. Another item to note is that most standard bearing kits have the new stub axle needle bearings that have only 1/2 the amount of needles in them as the original bearings. Timken has the correct bearing with the full amount of needle bearings.
Thanks Dave.

Obviously I'd like to have all the parts, etc. in order before dropping the diff. I want to avoid having the car in a shop for an extended period. Ideally would want to drop the dif out at home so the car will be safer here than in a shop, but do not have a lift for putting it all back together.

This is why I was wondering about just getting a full replacement diff new, or rebuilt. Not sure if that's a better option.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:56 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

I'd find a good used one if money is tight.

If you keep grease in them, they can last a lifetime and longer.

Last edited by MikeM; 03-21-2017 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:58 AM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 321 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Jackfit had his rear end rebuilt several years ago and he posted on here about the experience. I think he is in now in Italy but you may want to do a search.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:00 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Paul, check out this link. You'll need to go down about halfway to get to the Differential. It is extremely detailed, but I think you'll find it interesting and illuminating. I believe it was done by the folks at Vansteel for CHEVY DIY...

http://www.chevydiy.com/c3-corvette-...al-reassembly/

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 03-21-2017, 09:08 AM
dkleather
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 261 Posts
2016 C2 of the Year Finalist

Here's a great place for rear parts, rebuild, or replacement if you choose that route. They are great to deal with.
http://www.bairs.com/
Old 03-21-2017, 09:55 AM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Hi folks.

Much thanks, in advance!
You can save money by doing the posi case yourself, but you should have an experienced mech set the ring and pinion, which is where your noise is probably coming from.

There are a lot of good mechanics that can do a good job setting up the ring and pinion: Bairs, VanSteel, Tom's, Gary Ramedei to name a few. You shouldn't need to upgrade unless you abuse or race your car. If you upgrade, then you're involved in hybrid u-joints.

Last edited by 65tripleblack; 03-21-2017 at 09:59 AM.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:25 AM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM

This is solid advice. A quiet, never-been-messed-with third member will probably outlast you. On the other hand, to have a qualified technician disassemble, inspect, replace needed parts, and overhaul your third member will require a lot of money and time, if hard to get parts are needed. Almost 30 years ago I had a GM solid axle rear end re-done by an expert, and it needed average work. The bill then was $950. Today, that bill would be closer to 3k. If you are getting whine on acceleration only, it's more than likely ring and pinion wear, and not a wheel bearing.
The following users liked this post:
PaulUptime (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 01:53 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 544 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM

A good way to go. .. I bought a used 3:08 diff to replace the 4:11 in my car from a wrecking yard in LA. The diff unit came out of a '71 car. I wanted 3:08's for the way the car is used now (road trips).
Price of the diff at the time (2003) was $400.

The swap was fairly to do the old school way (floor jack and jack stands). A combination U joint was used to mate early driveshaft trunnions to larger later style pinion trunnion size. Caps instead of U bolt straps were needed to mate side yolks to half shafts.

The diff swap has worked out well. No issues in almost 20K miles driven.
​​​​​​​John
The following users liked this post:
6T5RUSH (03-25-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 02:30 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

If you can source a used, good third member do so...
If not then I've dealt with Tom's Differentials before.
Straight up, no BS....
Old 03-21-2017, 06:02 PM
pop23235
Safety Car

Received 1,020 Likes on 680 Posts

Get a used unit. They are all around. Get one close as shipping is not cheap. I've got a 65 3.70 posi in the garage. Shipping to Toronto would kill any deal, so look closer to you.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:26 PM
C2 Hot Cam Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
Default rears

Hi folks.

Much thanks, in advance!
You can get a rebuilt one w a 1 year gaurantee. Hard to tell condition on a used one . I just got one & you can pick gear ratio in case you want faster 4;11 4;56 or better gas mileage 3;08 3;23 $ 1095
Old 03-22-2017, 01:04 PM
ejboyd5
Drifting

Received 326 Likes on 189 Posts

Might it be worth a few dollars to change the lubricant before going any deeper into the differential?
Old 03-22-2017, 05:36 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Just think.....if you buy a junked one and that one has problems, then you can negotiate from a strong position because then you'll have 2 diffs that need rebuild and maybe you can get 2 for the price of 1 overhauled.

Not only that, but look at all the great exercise you'd have gotten installing and removing the junked diff. No need for Weight Watchers.

OP: Does it whine on the coast? Pull?

Last edited by 65tripleblack; 03-22-2017 at 05:41 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Whiny rear end - Seeking General Diff Rebuild Advice

Old 03-22-2017, 06:11 PM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

pinion bearing suspect if noise only on load. ck. might be cheap fix.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:11 PM
pop23235
Safety Car

Received 1,020 Likes on 680 Posts

Once it starts whining, the fix is replace. Either the gears at min. or the assembly. It's next to impossible to set up worn gears.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:12 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Here's my problem. It may or may not be the diffy. In general, differentials last longer than wheel bearings, so there's that, if they are all original, and reasonably low miles. If it's a wheel bearing, you could spend some good money on the diffy and fix nothing.

Going for all three may prevent worrying about it for the rest of your life, but would cost a bunch.

You stated that the trailing arms have never been off. If thats true, I would be suspect of the wheel bearings. Add this to it: if the sound grew perceptibly worse on a long trip (not just "it sounded louder because it was beginning to bug/worry me"), keep in mind that the diffy is lubricated at all times, but the wheel bearings are in grease that is how old (?) and gets heated up when the bearings are dodgy, which increases the noise.

Just saying before you do a deep dive, you may want to try to do some confirmatory checks.

Originally Posted by hope2
pinion bearing suspect if noise only on load. ck. might be cheap fix.
Thanks for the suggestion. The answer is no, I'm not sure.
My rear trailing arms have never been off, so it could be.
Probably should do those at the same time.

The sound from the rear is only under load (no sound while coasting) so would that itself not rule out it being a bearing?
Originally Posted by 65tripleblack
Does it whine on the coast? Pull?
Originally Posted by GTOguy
This is solid advice. A quiet, never-been-messed-with third member will probably outlast you. If you are getting whine on acceleration only, it's more than likely ring and pinion wear, and not a wheel bearing.

Quick Reply: Whiny rear end - Seeking General Diff Rebuild Advice