C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

goverener gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 11:57 AM
Matthew Hall
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default goverener gear

Could the govener gear stripped cause the downshifting not to downshift?
700r4 drives great just when i punch it to the floor to pass someone it only downshift down one gear and there really not a power gain.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:37 PM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Hall
Could the govener gear stripped cause the downshifting not to downshift?
700r4 drives great just when i punch it to the floor to pass someone it only downshift down one gear and there really not a power gain.
No, if the governor gear is stripped the transmission will not operate well at all. Is your TV cable adjusted correctly? The only way to set this correctly is that at WOT the TV must be completely tight.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:02 PM
Matthew Hall
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by bjankuski
No, if the governor gear is stripped the transmission will not operate well at all. Is your TV cable adjusted correctly? The only way to set this correctly is that at WOT the TV must be completely tight.
Yeah i had a transmission shop adjust it it shift good driving normal but as soon as i get on it its like crap no kickdown no power difference. wonder if my torque converter is not unlocking .. since it is a conversion to carb its a totally different way to look at this issue. im just lost on this ive tried everything timing is at 11 adv i have mild cam 600 cfm ede carb.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:12 PM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Yeah i had a transmission shop adjust it it shift good driving normal but as soon as i get on it its like crap no kickdown no power difference. wonder if my torque converter is not unlocking .. since it is a conversion to carb its a totally different way to look at this issue. im just lost on this ive tried everything timing is at 11 adv i have mild cam 600 cfm ede carb.
Make sure the TV cable is tight at WOT.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:10 PM
Matthew Hall
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by bjankuski
Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
The TV advancement is not linear. It moves a lot at first, but not as much towards WOT. Ie, the cable is extended more than half-way at 50% throttle. For the last 25% of throttle, the TV cable barely extends any further at all. There are kits with eccentric cams for use with carbs and 700-style TV cables. Setting up the TV system with a carb is really fussy to get it right. There's a really good tutorial about the 700's TV system on bowtieoverdrives.com

How are you controlling the lock-up without an ECM? Perhaps you aren't unlocking the converter.

got the car like this it was spliced at the plug so it locks up in all gears which is more likey my prob im going to prob start from the beginning and go through it all this weekend. Im just tires of working on it everything is brand new.. it was just rushed to put it all together engine only has 1200 miles on it love it just want the power I know it has.. and the has vacuum lines are off who knows goes where...
Old 03-22-2017, 10:00 PM
Matthew Hall
Heel & Toe

Default Found a culprit...

Wth did the guy before mw have this... so never seen this before. Looks like they tried to bypass the ecm with a manual vacuum control valve.. any ideas what I can do to reverse this ...
Old 03-23-2017, 02:26 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

That connector has two wires. One is the converter lockup command that should come from the ECM.

The other wire is the 4th gear switch. It tells the cruise control that the trans is in OD.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:19 AM
bjankuski
Safety Car

got the car like this it was spliced at the plug so it locks up in all gears which is more likey my prob im going to prob start from the beginning and go through it all this weekend. Im just tires of working on it everything is brand new.. it was just rushed to put it all together engine only has 1200 miles on it love it just want the power I know it has.. and the has vacuum lines are off who knows goes where...
Look for a switch that turns the lock-up on and off. My guess is the ECM control of the lock-up was eliminated and the original modifier added in the switch to turn lock-up on when cruising on the highway.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:54 PM
Matthew Hall
Heel & Toe

This is carb conversion the ecm is not running the trans that's why the person I believe rigged it to run off vacuum. Just a mess it's at the shop now done trying to figure this out
Old 03-24-2017, 12:54 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

No, no, no.

IF there is a 4th gear switch there will be THREE wires.
If there are only two wires, one is tan/black and the ECM grounds this wire for lockup. The other wire is purple, is HOT in RUN or START, brake pedal NOT applied. This is the B+ for the solenoid. Applying the brake releases the TCC.
My car/700r4 only has 2 wires. One is for the TCC. One is the 4th gear switch. The ground is through the metal of the trans.

The Cruise control is NOT integrated with the transmission in any way until at least the 4L60e in 1994, and I'm not positive it is in Corvette. Never looked. I know it is in S and C/K series trucks beginning in 93.
The cruise control is in the instrument cluster.

I think the 4th gear switch is used as an input for ECM "Highway Lean Mode". The 4th gear switch is not always wired in the engine harness, even though the hardware is inside the transmission, and the third pin is in the trans connector.
That 4th gear switch is part of the shifter.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:10 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

'86 - '89 Shifter mounted O'drive switch

Name:  O'drive switch adjustment.png
Views: 730
Size:  43.8 KB

It's wiring schematic in relationship to the ECM -C7 @ the ECM

Name:  '86 ECM O'drive.png
Views: 704
Size:  45.6 KB

Any FSM '86 - '89 should confirm this @ or near 6E3-C8-? The OP has an '86 and I don't know what can be determined as to how his is modified but OE '86 drive-ability 6E3-C8 for anyone with the TPI could maybe use the information.

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris

That 4th gear switch is part of the shifter.
Terminology might be tweaked but there is a such a switch '86 - '89

I am 100% certain that you are wrong. (Unless you've changed things around from stock). The TCC solenoid is NOT grounded to the case. It can't be. The output from the ECM is at ground potential (-) trigger.If the two wires in the harness are tan/blk and purple, they are for TCC. 4th gear switch is LtBlu, IF used. I don't think it is on 84-93 Y-Car.

Not on a 90-up. There's a stand alone cruise module on the passenger side IP. The 94-up 4L60e cars accept a "cruise engaged" signal from pin 2 on the module. This input, if present, modifies the TCC apply and 3-4 upshift schedules so as not to "hunt" between 3rd and 4th, and TCC apply when on a uphill grade.
On a 84-89 there is NO input to the cluster for anything to do with the transmission. The "upshift light" is controlled by the ECM based on RPM and VSS. The ECM is not "told" what gear the trans is in (until 94-96, the PSA switch in the 60e does indeed signal shifter position based on manual-valve position). It figures it out from VSS and RPM.

On a 4-speed it is. No such thing on an Automatic. There is a circuit for P/N switch on the shifter for the ECM (orn/blk and blk/wht) that is used for IAC and EGR control, and Code 24 Diagnostics.

Cliff, you're WRONG so much of the time. Do your research, grab a manual and REFRESH YOUR MEMORY before posting. You'll learn something yourself by doing this. Incorrect info is confusing and causes peeps to waste time and money chasing things based on INCORRECT info you post.
I'm not interested in debating "rights and wrongs" but I think Cliff's comparisons for the OP to his '86 would deserve serious thought! I believe that even though the OP's is now a carbed project I think it began life as an '86 TPI. Wiring - who knows. I believe it has much to do with how the valve body is switched/wired etc. There's multiple possibilities!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 03-24-2017 at 07:34 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To goverener gear

Quick Reply: goverener gear