Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

New owner, 1985 auto, have questions!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 12:31 PM
Akodo
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default New owner, 1985 auto, have questions!

New owner of a summer driver, 1985 automatic, leather interior, dark blue Corvette. Looking to learn more about these cars! I purchased it from a guy in Ann Arbor who didn't know too much about it, I know the exhaust isn't stock, it will vibrate your skull at about 50, and it has Mickey Thompson valve covers on it. No idea on mods past that. It has a tarp on it because the first thing I did when I got it home was bust the drivers side window. Please forgive the Sanford and son appearance of my driveway, my wife watches "storage wars" and has decided that will be her new hobby!

So far, Ive decoded the RPO sheet. It has option "V08", which is apparently "Heavy Duty Cooling". What does that mean exactly? It also has option KC4 "Oil Cooler". Are these standard options? I know there are a thousand "my vette runs hot" threads out there, Im just curious if these two combined help with that issue, or if they are just standard options.
The car was originally a two tone silver and dark gray, I may actually end up putting it back to that.
Engine runs good, there is a slight hesitation on throttle up, so I bought all of the items for a tune up (plugs,wires,cap,rotor,ignition coil,air filter,oil filter,fuel filter)and I am replacing all of the vacuum lines. Is there anything else I should swap out while I'm in there?
I'm planning on using this car as a summer driver, back and forth to work, so performance isn't all THAT critical, I'm not looking to break land speed records. Should I consider upgrading the injectors anyway? What would you suggest for a DD?
According to RPO code GU2, it has 2.73 gears in it. Should I swap those out? How much of an MPG increase can I get if I do?
The car has what I am guessing are NOT the stock wheels on it, lack of emblems makes me guess these are reproduction rims of some sort? Any ideas?
It also has the sloppy column issue, I bought the tools to take it apart. I noticed the flashers don't return either, any ideas on what to order so I can fix them as long as I'm in there?

Last edited by Akodo; 03-21-2017 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:54 PM
kael
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 230 Likes on 189 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

If you plan on doing most work yourself, recommend getting a Factory Service Manual (FSM). Can find them out there either paper or digital for not too much. Good docs for what to do here and there.

Common changes are air filter setup, I'd check if you have a K&N filter, those have very long life and can be cleaned and re-oiled. They also do a great job with air.

Also, take a bunch of pics of the engine, now. Good for comparison later after disassembling a few things and comparing easily to chase other customizations.

Welcome to the Corvette!
Old 03-21-2017, 03:09 PM
Silver85
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 75 Posts

Read up on taking the door panels off and all the fun stuff underneath before you start on replacing the window. There are several items inside that you might want to tackle while you have the panel off.

Welcome!! You will enjoy the ride.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:06 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 136 Posts

Welcome, looks like a great C4 to start with, really like the color!
Old 03-24-2017, 10:51 PM
1800Wing
Flatulent Dwarf
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Those rims look like the C5 rims, but the rears look like they are smaller with too much space in the wheel well...didn't Chevy put some rims like that on the 90's Camaro ? Car looks pretty nice overall, how did you manage to bust the window out ?

later, tiny
The following users liked this post:
Akodo (03-26-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 11:35 PM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

Looks good ya what happened to the window. for vibrating you will need to make sure the tires aren't too old then have them balanced , check the ujoints and check your bushings and tie rod ends ect. I fought my 85 for a while but I think I am smooth sailing from my test run.
As you put it up on safe jack stands check your wheels with the 12 to 6 check and the 3-9 check that is what the alignment shop will do before they attempt an alignment

Good luck!

Last edited by xrav22; 03-24-2017 at 11:38 PM.
Akodo (03-26-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 07:30 AM
Akodo
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

With the window, I found that the little tab on the front of the Targa was bent down, I rolled the window down while I was in the car, and when I rolled it back up I think it slipped behind that tab, so when I opened the door, massive flex, broken window.
Almost have all of the bits and pieces it needs stocked up, ordered a replacement glass for the Targa that should be here this week, now all I need is the screws for the distributor cover and a rearview mirror.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:49 AM
JungleCat
Safety Car

Received 252 Likes on 174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Congrats on the car. The Corvette Black Book is great for listing codes and options on all years of Corvettes. I also like that color of blue. Good luck with the fixins.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:58 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

Steering wheel is loose because when folks get in and out of the car, they pull or push on that wheel. Couple of bolts (3?) inside are a bit loose. Blinker not cutting off is a simple fix too, but gotta get inside the steering wheel assy to fix. Parts can be found on most vendor sites in this forum. (usuallt its a busted ear (s) on a plastic p.o.s. in there. That 273 rearend should be good for milage on the open road/hiway. Its a decent "high speed/top end gear. I installing a 345 rear end gear in my 86 for faster 1/4 mile times.

Last edited by ghoastrider1; 03-26-2017 at 09:03 AM.
Akodo (03-27-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To New owner, 1985 auto, have questions!

Quick Reply: New owner, 1985 auto, have questions!