C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake squeal but pads are good

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 09:52 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Received 197 Likes on 171 Posts

Default Brake squeal but pads are good

This has been going on for a good while now and I cannot figure it out. I have powerstop pads with about 70% life remaining and drilled/slotted powerstop rotors. They squeak all the time, seems like it's coming from the rear. I have taken all four rotors and pads off, cleaned, lubed and reinstalled but they still squeak. The rotors are in good shape too. Any ideas?
Old 03-22-2017, 08:18 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Use the brakes harder. You are being too light on the pedal. You may notice the squeaking go away if you apply more brake pressure plan your stops so you stop in less distance using the higher pressure.

Bill
Old 03-23-2017, 03:50 PM
glfrmrk
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bwill03z
This has been going on for a good while now and I cannot figure it out. I have powerstop pads with about 70% life remaining and drilled/slotted powerstop rotors. They squeak all the time, seems like it's coming from the rear. I have taken all four rotors and pads off, cleaned, lubed and reinstalled but they still squeak. The rotors are in good shape too. Any ideas?
Are they new pads on old or new rotors that were not turned. I have always turned rotors when installing new pads even if the rotors are brand new. The rotors get a glaze on them and the new pads don't bite on the glazed rotors. But that's what I do and have never had a squeaking issue.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:13 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by glfrmrk
Are they new pads on old or new rotors that were not turned. I have always turned rotors when installing new pads even if the rotors are brand new. The rotors get a glaze on them and the new pads don't bite on the glazed rotors. But that's what I do and have never had a squeaking issue.
When I bought the car the pads were new but I'm thinking the rotors were not. I've had some AC Delco dura stop pads laying around for awhile so I believe I will just buy 4 new rotors and have everything brand new.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:45 PM
Macleod52
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

I had this happen when the dealer replaced my rear rotors. I'm guessing either they didn't use anti squeal compound or the brakes weren't bedded in properly to the new rotors... or both.

If you do several (7-10) 65mph-10mph on an empty road while having a 30 second -1 minute cool down between each go. When done, let your brakes cool down for 15-20 minutes while NEVER comping to a complete stop. This may cure your symptoms. What you're doing is wearing off the current brake residue from the rotors and redistributing new material. The rotors will be really hot after you do this and if you come to a complete stop before they cool down enough you'll have unevenly distributed brake material where the brakes were resting.

That's my best explanation and I may be totally wrong in explaining what you're actually doing, but it should hopefully help/cure your issue. Here's Powerstop's recommended break-in procedure.

http://www.powerstop.com/brake-pad-break-in-procedure/

Last edited by Macleod52; 03-23-2017 at 05:47 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:44 AM
glfrmrk
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

When I bought the car the pads were new but I'm thinking the rotors were not. I've had some AC Delco dura stop pads laying around for awhile so I believe I will just buy 4 new rotors and have everything brand new.
Even when I put brand new rotors on my cars, I will turn them.You might be surprised how often a new rotor is not true. But as I said before "that's just me". Hope we have helped some. Save the wave!
Old 03-25-2017, 01:19 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Use the brakes harder. You are being too light on the pedal. You may notice the squeaking go away if you apply more brake pressure plan your stops so you stop in less distance using the higher pressure.

Bill
I agree. New rotors won't change anything.

You could round off or bevel the leading edges of the pads to help with squealing. A lot factory pads come this way to alleviate brake noise complaints.

British cars used to have brass shims between the pad and piston to dampen vibration.

You could find a softer less aggressive pad. High performance brake pads and noise go hand in hand.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:08 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by UstaB-GS549
I agree. New rotors won't change anything.

You could round off or bevel the leading edges of the pads to help with squealing. A lot factory pads come this way to alleviate brake noise complaints.

British cars used to have brass shims between the pad and piston to dampen vibration.

You could find a softer less aggressive pad. High performance brake pads and noise go hand in hand.
Well I already have a brand new set of pads laying around so that's why I was going to get new rotors to go with them
Old 04-28-2021, 12:58 PM
Talbot Trammell
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I already have a brand new set of pads laying around so that's why I was going to get new rotors to go with them
hey im having this exact issue with my c5 pads are decent but sounds like a dying cat! did you ever find a solution? that fully fixed it?
Old 04-28-2021, 02:20 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Talbot Trammell
hey im having this exact issue with my c5 pads are decent but sounds like a dying cat! did you ever find a solution? that fully fixed it?
wow you revived a 4 year old thread haha. I no longer have the car but yeah I took the powerstop pads off and put on the ac delco ceramics I had laying around, added some CRC disk brake quiet to piston contact area, as well as greased all the contact points and that fixed it... never made another noise
The following users liked this post:
Talbot Trammell (04-28-2021)
Old 04-28-2021, 03:18 PM
wmupaprmkr
Cool Hand Luke of W MI
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 176 Likes on 125 Posts

You have to give new users like @Talbot Trammell promos for using the search function and not starting a new post!
The following users liked this post:
Talbot Trammell (04-28-2021)
Old 04-28-2021, 09:32 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by wmupaprmkr
You have to give new users like @Talbot Trammell promos for using the search function and not starting a new post!
very true

Get notified of new replies

To Brake squeal but pads are good

Quick Reply: Brake squeal but pads are good