Sponsored by:

Considering Trading my car...hear me out

Old 03-22-2017, 07:55 AM
vrhaines
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Considering Trading my car...hear me out

Morning!

I wake up this morning with a difficult proposition on my head. I have a 2002 M6 Millenium Yellow Coupe. I've done some work to it, headers, exhaust, shifter, intake, all bolt on stuff. My next plan was top end and/or FI.

However....I had a 5th Gen Camaro back before I had this corvette (kid came, camaro went, kid aged 2 years, got the vette).

I had a chance to drive a 6th gen 2SS M6 this past weekend and was so impressed with the LT1 and the power. I'd get a C7 if finances dictated, but the camaro that I have a shot at is a leftover 16 at 0% and about 10G off sticker. Out the door I'm looking at 36,000 before my Vette trade. I think I'd also trade my Audi that I leased and just have the camaro and pick up a slammer winter car, as I am in Pittsburgh.

That said, I'm looking for insight. Has anyone made the switch? Does anyone have both? Friends of mine have gone from C5 to 6th Gen Camaro and don't look back, but as we all know and love, Corvettes are special and Camaros are not as much.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-22-2017, 08:02 AM
oharal
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 219 Posts

Pony cars are big and heavy. The Corvette is great because it's light for a v8 sports car and fairly small. To me that's the biggest dealbreaker. Aside from lack of visibility in new cars particularly the Camaros. I've driven the new pony cars and didn't really like any of them. They're just huge and heavy...I've driven a lot of 'fun' cars since I got my C5 Z06 last year and nothing has really impressed me since. Not even a C6 Z06...my $0.02
The following users liked this post:
vrhaines (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 08:20 AM
Sydwayz
Burning Brakes

Received 270 Likes on 198 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18

Spend some time driving the Camaro before you commit. Maybe even go rent one for a full day in your typical routine.

Personally, I think they SUCK to drive due to incredibly **** poor visibility everywhere. The back seat is for decoration only, and overall they just don't drive excitement like the Corvette.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sydwayz:
SG Lou (03-22-2017), vrhaines (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 08:22 AM
vrhaines
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Spend some time driving the Camaro before you commit. Maybe even go rent one for a full day in your typical routine.

Personally, I think they SUCK to drive due to incredibly **** poor visibility everywhere. The back seat is for decoration only, and overall they just don't drive excitement like the Corvette.
That's a really good idea. That's one thing I do love about my C5, it's got soul it drives excitement. Not full of nannies and buttons, just drive the damn car.

Hmmm
Old 03-22-2017, 08:26 AM
Fcar 98
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 466 Posts

Owned a camaro a lot of years ago, only because i could not afford a corvette. I was able to buy a corvette new in 98. The corvette is a different animal, It will never depreciate as fast or as far as the camaro. For me it is the vette. But only you can make the call on what you want to own.
vrhaines (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 08:28 AM
Daypoblue
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz

I had the opportunity to drive a friends '16 Camaro last week. While its always fun to drive something "new", I really don't think it compares to my '99.
As I am sure you know (and others have already pointed out", Visibility Sucks and the back seat is useless... I wouldn't trade mine in for one.

There is a reason they are offering it for 10K off the sticker & 0% financing... They aren't moving off the lot.
vrhaines (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 08:48 AM
DetroitPlac
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts

I've been debating this for months now. I'm just completing a top-end upgrade, clutch, and 4.10 gears in my C5 if that tells you anything.

I've spent a lot of time in 6th gen Camaros. Both at work and a few months ago when my wife and I were on vacation, we rented a V6 Coupe for a week. While the car drives incredibly well, and the power is great with a V6 (the V8 is awesome), the car overall is more difficult to live with than the C5. Have you ever looked in the trunk of a 6th gen? It's worthless. Can't even fit a full size suitcase through the opening. We looked like idiots jamming our full size suitcases behind the front seats, which was only marginally better than the trunk opening. The Corvette's hatch is actually far more useful, and since we take the car on trips every so often, a usable storage area is important. Visibility isn't as bad as people make it out to be once you get used to it, but I just couldn't get over the fact that a larger, lesser performing car could be LESS useful than my C5. I just couldn't connect the dots, and decided to stick with the C5 and make it crazy.

If the Camaro was a lift back like the Gen3,4 was, I'd have one right now. The car is that good. Just too many compromises for day-to-day livability.
The following 2 users liked this post by DetroitPlac:
El original (03-22-2017), vrhaines (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 09:13 AM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 440 Likes on 324 Posts

Tough call. I think the renting a Camaro for a day is excellent or maybe the dealership has a used one you can drive for the day.

Is the Vette paid for? If not, don't put anymore mods into it until paid. I'd like to go FI on mine but age and mileage are factoring into my decision to just enjoy it as it is. I do have a Z06 though so there is a little more power in stock form.

Another option would be to swap the Camaro for the Audi. If you know how to drive a rear wheel drive car in the snow, you'd be OK. Snow tires would likely be on the menu.

Whatever you decide, don't financially strap yourself down with car payments. Have some fun money to do things with your family and make memories. Kids grow up fast.

Good luck on your decision.
vrhaines (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 09:16 AM
vrhaines
Instructor

Originally Posted by 3sACROWD
Tough call. I think the renting a Camaro for a day is excellent or maybe the dealership has a used one you can drive for the day.

Is the Vette paid for? If not, don't put anymore mods into it until paid. I'd like to go FI on mine but age and mileage are factoring into my decision to just enjoy it as it is. I do have a Z06 though so there is a little more power in stock form.

Another option would be to swap the Camaro for the Audi. If you know how to drive a rear wheel drive car in the snow, you'd be OK. Snow tires would likely be on the menu.

Whatever you decide, don't financially strap yourself down with car payments. Have some fun money to do things with your family and make memories. Kids grow up fast.

Good luck on your decision.
Good Advice. Corvette is paid for. I don't necessarily like the idea of swapping the Camaro for the Audi as it sits outside and it'd drive me crazy to have two rear wheel drive sports cars and one be outside all the time. My wife's murano occupies the other garage bay, that was the agreement with the vette. Money isn't an issue as far as payments go, but I won't go crazy and bury myself! Excellent advice!
Old 03-22-2017, 09:26 AM
Lilbluevette
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

This may have no bearing on your decision but as a body shop manager, I can tell you my opinion is don't do it. I have had several wrecked Camaros in my shop, hardtop and convertible, and they are not well built. After repairing them, I would never take one over a vette.
The following 2 users liked this post by Lilbluevette:
El original (03-22-2017), the kid C6 (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 09:30 AM
vrhaines
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lilbluevette
This may have no bearing on your decision but as a body shop manager, I can tell you my opinion is don't do it. I have had several wrecked Camaros in my shop, hardtop and convertible, and they are not well built. After repairing them, I would never take one over a vette.
Not for nothing, but what makes you say this?
Old 03-22-2017, 09:43 AM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,090 Likes on 797 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I "did" rent on for a week, about 1600 miles driven. After having a 69 when I graduated HS I wanted to LOVE it but the newness wore off quickly. I felt like I was sitting in a pit and the visibility is just horrible.
vrhaines (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 09:45 AM
baddboyz03
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 18 Posts

mod your vette to about 550hp youll never wanta trade then!!
less $$$ also
Old 03-22-2017, 09:48 AM
jackjohnson_218
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 86 Posts

Old 03-22-2017, 09:49 AM
vrhaines
Instructor

Originally Posted by baddboyz03
mod your vette to about 550hp youll never wanta trade then!!
less $$$ also
This is where I'm leaning. Just build my car. Keep it. Save money, go faster.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:49 AM
vrhaines
Instructor

Originally Posted by jackjohnson_218

bahahhhhahaha
Old 03-22-2017, 10:19 AM
RBS_Z51C5
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think the new Camaro SS looks badass and I would be tempted in your position too. I say go for it if you're willing to pay a car note. This is a Corvette Forum (C5 section), so you're really not going to get an objective opinion. I would definitely choose a new Stingray over a new Camaro, but not a C5. If you don't like the Camaro in a year, get rid of it, simple as that. Only you can decide
vrhaines (03-22-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Considering Trading my car...hear me out

Old 03-22-2017, 10:27 AM
vrhaines
Instructor

Originally Posted by RBS_Z51C5
I think the new Camaro SS looks badass and I would be tempted in your position too. I say go for it if you're willing to pay a car note. This is a Corvette Forum (C5 section), so you're really not going to get an objective opinion. I would definitely choose a new Stingray over a new Camaro, but not a C5. If you don't like the Camaro in a year, get rid of it, simple as that. Only you can decide
This is exactly why i posted this here! I was hoping the bias would sway me!
Old 03-22-2017, 10:44 AM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,036 Likes on 2,023 Posts

That sounds like a great deal on the Camaro but make sure that it's not just the great deal that is tempting you. You don't want to make an impulsive move that you may later regret. I have seen new base 1LT MN& C7's as low as $44K-$45K after discounts and rebates by Forum Dealers. You can always change rims and add spoilers down the road. If you wait until year end you may see larger incentives and discounts on the '17's. Your '02 Z06 sounds like a keeper though.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mike98SilVert:
David Shiel (03-24-2017), vrhaines (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 11:12 AM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 440 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by vrhaines
This is exactly why i posted this here! I was hoping the bias would sway me!
If that is all you're looking for, go stand in front of the mirror, smack yourself across the back of the head (give yourself a Gibbs) and say "what was I thinking?!!! Then go out and apologize to your Vette. DONE!
vrhaines (03-22-2017)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Considering Trading my car...hear me out