Sponsored by:

Tire replacement questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 08:23 PM
newtoforum
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire replacement questions

I need to replace a rear tire on my '15 Stingray - nail damage. Have 11k miles on car. Have the ZF1 package so tires are summer only 20" RF's.
I have a couple of questions -

1) I'm planning to replace both rear tires . Any issues with replacing only the rear tires?
2) Considering all season tires vs. current summer only. Any issues with mixing AS with SO?
3) Considering non RF vs. current RF. Any issues with mixing these 2 type tires?
4) Regarding non RF's - understanding doing this is like the stock market - all depends on your risk tolerance and comfort level - who is running non RF's and what are your thoughts/experiences doing so?

I am an OG (68) 10 year Corvette owner who really only does sunny weather local cruising with maybe one trip south/year (1500 miles approx.). Read the forum regularly for interest/tips but never posted. Would appreciate thoughts/advice/tips whatever.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:48 PM
767guy
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by newtoforum
I need to replace a rear tire on my '15 Stingray - nail damage. Have 11k miles on car. Have the ZF1 package so tires are summer only 20" RF's.

1) I'm planning to replace both rear tires . Any issues with replacing only the rear tires?
2) Considering all season tires vs. current summer only. Any issues with mixing AS with SO?
3) Considering non RF vs. current RF. Any issues with mixing these 2 type tires?
4) Regarding non RF's - understanding doing this is like the stock market - all depends on your risk tolerance and comfort level - who is running non RF's and what are your thoughts/experiences doing so?

I am an OG (68) 10 year Corvette owner who really only does sunny weather local cruising with maybe one trip south/year (1500 miles approx.). Read the forum regularly for interest/tips but never posted. Would appreciate thoughts/advice/tips whatever.
Hello from one OG to another, just one year junior to you.

I too have a 2015 , that according to my wife, " I drive it like a little girl". .....Don't track or get into much spirited driving but love the car for its engineering, looks, and an American Icon I have lusted for since I was a teenager........to your questions:

1) should be OK
2) I think tire experts would tell you not to mix
3) see answer #2
4) Run flats VS non run flats:

When my summer tires were worn out the new Michelin AS/3+ NON run flats became available and here is why I chose them

* no more crow hopping/wheel scrubbing in slow speed wheel lock turns
* not as sticky as the OEM tires and don't throw gravel on the road I drive on at home every day
* Quieter and softer , nice for the 1600 mile drive to Florida every winter
* No cold weather operating restrictions with respect to loss of traction/braking or possible side wall cracking. I have to deal with very cold temperatures in Northern Ontario before we leave for Florida and when we return home in the early spring.

I carry a GM small portable compressor/slime unit in the trunk cubby hole but would first call GM roadside assistance for any flat tire issues. I believe it is good for 5 years and when it runs out you can buy GM roadside assistance/ CAA/AAA and just have them send a flat bed.If I destroy a tire in the mountains of W.V and Virginia on my way to Florida I have no use for a RUN FLAT tire as its ability to go 50 miles would be a useful as t*ts on a Bull.......I just call GM road side......

Just my $0.02 , one OG to another.

Good luck with the tire hunt.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:54 AM
Casey VP26
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 82 Posts

I also have one bad rear tire on my 16 Z51. I ordered 4 of the Michelin A/S3+ run flats which are waiting for me at my tire dealer. I plan to have them installed in the next few days.

I never considered just 2 rear tires but I did consider replacing only the bad tire, however I live in an area where I could use A/S and decided to go for it.

Good Luck.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:08 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,140 Posts

What I would do is buy one tire to replace the bad tire with an exact replacement from TireRack. I'd have them cut the new one down to a tread depth equal to the other rear tire for $25 extra. When they are all down to replacement depth, replace all at once.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:06 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,067 Likes on 6,169 Posts

Are you certain the tire cannot be repaired? Michelin allows 1 combination plug/patch repair if it is not on the outer edges of the tread area.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:47 PM
NavyBlue2
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
What I would do is buy one tire to replace the bad tire with an exact replacement from TireRack. I'd have them cut the new one down to a tread depth equal to the other rear tire for $25 extra. When they are all down to replacement depth, replace all at once.
Why would you want to spend $400 for one new tire (+ tax, shipping, & mounting costs), spend $25 to shave down 11,000 miles worth of good rubber (to match the other), when I usually gets 15 - 20K miles on them, to have both replaced soon?

I would just buy & install 2 brand new tires, & save the old one as a spare for your next flat...
Old 03-23-2017, 03:55 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,140 Posts

I guess it depends on what he ultimately wants on the car. Mixing runflats and non-runflats is not a good idea or mixing summer and all season tires is not a good idea. I think keeping what you have until you can change them all out at once makes the most sense.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:37 PM
newtoforum
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire replacement questions

I appreciate all the feedback I received on this post and would like to give you guys an update.
I had a center tire nail puncture and took it to Costco to be plugged - was told by Costco they wouldn't repair a RF. OK. They then told me they could see a second nail close to the sidewall making this tire totally irreparable. Before letting Costco order tire(s) for me, thought I would check around for pricing.

I came home and called Michelin primarily to ask the questions I posted here. Basically, they said I could mix RF's on rear and NRF's on front. Also said I could run AS on rear and SO on front. This pretty much made up my mind to get AS/RF's on rear (just not comfortable running NRF's) as there was never any question in my mind I would replace both rear tires.
They then told me they would give warranty credit on my rear tires but I would have to go to a tire dealer and let them determine wear and the dealer should call Michelin and they would work the deal through them. Michelin even called dealers in my area to find a dealer for me. I then went to the tire dealer (Bob Sumerel) who was also great. I had 9/32 tread on rear tires and 7/32's on front which equated to 45% credit toward new rear tires which was fine with me.

I then came home and decided I would consider replacing the front tires as well to keep everything equal and also to put AS tires all around. I called Michelin back and asked if they would give me a discount if I bought 4 new tires and why I wanted them. They said based on the tread depths, they would give me 35% off the front tires and they would also give me an additional 10% off my rear tires ((55% off total).
I was totally happy with the whole Michelin support process and totally happy with the cost help, especially since I really never even considered exploring road hazard credit.

I am going to Bob Sumerel Monday and order 4 of Pilot Sport AS 3+ tires. If all goes well, I should be in new tires late next week.

Appreciate the feedback/input from you guys.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:07 AM
Casey VP26
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 82 Posts

I appreciate all the feedback I received on this post and would like to give you guys an update.
I had a center tire nail puncture and took it to Costco to be plugged - was told by Costco they wouldn't repair a RF. OK. They then told me they could see a second nail close to the sidewall making this tire totally irreparable. Before letting Costco order tire(s) for me, thought I would check around for pricing.

I came home and called Michelin primarily to ask the questions I posted here. Basically, they said I could mix RF's on rear and NRF's on front. Also said I could run AS on rear and SO on front. This pretty much made up my mind to get AS/RF's on rear (just not comfortable running NRF's) as there was never any question in my mind I would replace both rear tires.
They then told me they would give warranty credit on my rear tires but I would have to go to a tire dealer and let them determine wear and the dealer should call Michelin and they would work the deal through them. Michelin even called dealers in my area to find a dealer for me. I then went to the tire dealer (Bob Sumerel) who was also great. I had 9/32 tread on rear tires and 7/32's on front which equated to 45% credit toward new rear tires which was fine with me.

I then came home and decided I would consider replacing the front tires as well to keep everything equal and also to put AS tires all around. I called Michelin back and asked if they would give me a discount if I bought 4 new tires and why I wanted them. They said based on the tread depths, they would give me 35% off the front tires and they would also give me an additional 10% off my rear tires ((55% off total).
I was totally happy with the whole Michelin support process and totally happy with the cost help, especially since I really never even considered exploring road hazard credit.

I am going to Bob Sumerel Monday and order 4 of Pilot Sport AS 3+ tires. If all goes well, I should be in new tires late next week.

Appreciate the feedback/input from you guys.

WOW I just put on 4 A/S 3+ run flats this past week and both of my rear tires also had nails in them with only 5000 miles on the thread. Maybe I should have called Michelin also.

Anyway, Good Job and Good Luck
Old 05-09-2017, 09:39 AM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 178 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by NavyBlue2
Why would you want to spend $400 for one new tire (+ tax, shipping, & mounting costs), spend $25 to shave down 11,000 miles worth of good rubber (to match the other), when I usually gets 15 - 20K miles on them, to have both replaced soon?

I would just buy & install 2 brand new tires, & save the old one as a spare for your next flat...
Because you want equal traction at all 4 corners to maintain predictable handling characteristics.

Get notified of new replies

To Tire replacement questions

Quick Reply: Tire replacement questions