Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 09:25 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Default New Company - Opinions please

Hey Everyone,

I am asking for your opinions. (this thread has been approve by the moderators)

I am starting a small business selling automotive themed merchandise. This is mostly for fun. And if the good Lord blesses it beyond that, I won't object!

For every good company, there is a brand logo. I have been working with a developer and have narrowed it down to several designs. I would like you all to help me with picking the official design. At this point, I am not really concerned about colors or fine tweaking, your vote is about the design in general.

Below is a short description on the company and what I aim to do so you can get an idea of what the company is about.

Thank you for your input!

What I am looking for:
- Your favorite and why
- please tell me your other likes, ranking them, with 1 as the LEAST LIKED.
(That is if you like any others, you could just like one - not liking any is ok)
- If you have comments about the logos, please let me know.

Description:
This company is auto themed. I currently sell apparel, but once the site is built later this year and I have given it some time, I may move into collectibles or other car related genres. The sky is the limit. Apparel is just the starting point.. Eventually, I also want to sponsor my own car shows and charity fund raisers. So this logo should not focus on the items I sell but the genre that is my market/target audience. The company will also strive for a high level of customer service.

Target Audience:
Mechanics and fan-boys (girls); people who would buy a Corvette t-shirt because they like Corvettes, individuals who work on their cars, own classics, enjoy reading about cars, strolling through car shows, and those that have an interest in lap times, HP output, and auto technological advancements.

Perception:
I want this logo to be eye-catching and remember-able. Even if someone has no interest in cars, or the company, they should still appreciate the logo and be curious what it is about. I want them to trust the company when looking at the logo, much like Amazon.

The logo images are attached.

Thanks again!!
Attached Images  

Last edited by ~Stingray; 03-24-2017 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:40 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I see the problem as your wanting a car-related co. logo/sign but possibly for some people not interested in cars, with a trust level approaching Amazon. Amazon is a general merchandise marketer; that's not how you're starting out, no matter what you say the co. may become. So, in that respect all your car-themed logos and words are by definition, car-related. I also understand what you wrote of your target audience which is car-related.

For me, looking at all of them the third line (steering wheels) are a 1. The first line is a 4. The fourth line a 4. Line 2-1 is a 6 or 7 and is better than 2-2. Line five with one logo is the best.

Good luck,
Old 03-22-2017, 10:27 PM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

The car logo at the bottom.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:48 PM
m3incorp
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Line 3 is a number 1 for me.

Here is where things get complicated. Most people take a quick look at a logo and draw a conclusion. I like the last logo BUT some people might look at it and automatically think import (not necessarily a bad thing). The same can be said with line 4, as many may look at it and think "classic".

I know you wrote the company is auto themed and you are starting out with apparels only, however all the logos make me think auto parts or accessories and I would never guess apparel and problem wouldn't bother with it if I was looking for apparels unless maybe somehow you show that you sell by perhaps adding in small lettering "apparel" or perhaps a small picture of a piece of apparel. Of course, if you get big and move on to selling more items, this may require a small change to your logo in the future.

Perception. Your logos bring to mind autos or auto parts.
Reality. You are initially selling apparel and none of your logos bring that to mind.

With that having been said, your web page design could make the big difference.

Last edited by m3incorp; 03-22-2017 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-22-2017, 11:05 PM
joebean
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default #5

The last one makes more sense to me. Just right for what you explained about the possible future plans of your company.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:27 AM
Gearbox22
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Anything with a car silhouette incorporated into a logo devalues the image IMO. It would be like putting a diamond to dot the "i" in Tiffany & Co. Just look at any car detailer or car wash logo, they all have car silhouettes in one form or another. Branding has to be simple and memorable. So less is more. But you do want that punch. Like in the example I previously mentioned, you see a pale blue box with a white ribbon, and even before you see the small and simple logo "Tiffany & Co." you immediately associate the box with the brand. And to some people, it evokes excitement and anticipation of something precious inside. Needless to say, this took decades to achieve, but this should be your objective with any type of branding.

Needless to say, lines 1,2,4, & 5 are disqualified for me which leaves us with line 3. While I like the steering wheel effect to give the sense of the automotive theme of the company, the rest of it makes it look like you are trying too hard. Too many colors and things going on. I would also lose the "Auto" in the name as it instills an archaic image and not in a good vintage way. Perhaps replace it with "Designs" so this way you have the automotive theme of the steering wheel and yet communicate the creative component of your company. And don't get hung up on making the steering wheel look exactly like a real steering wheel. A characterchure with simple geometric shapes will still convey the idea, but the image would be that more powerful and memorable.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I think you are on the right track. Talking with people and hosting focus groups is a great start. But at the end, you will still have to make the decision on your own. Hopefully you get where I am coming from with my suggestions and it will help you in part to formulate your own. And if you need help on the manufacturing side, contact me offline, I have a ton of sources. Good luck and have fun, starting a business is one of the most pleasurable endeavours in life, just enjoy the ride.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:00 AM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

Default right away

Left to right #4 is my fav. Least fav is #7 (looks a bit **** Swastika to be upfront).

#8 is my second choice. I like that the car represents class from cars of the 30's.

#10 looks Import (OK if you want to appeal to Ricers) Full Disclosure: I have one.

I like the emphasis in bold on Chariots & lettering as well as the car outline on #4.

Wish U lots of success. Maybe do hats as well?

Last edited by cor28vettes; 03-23-2017 at 01:12 AM.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:52 AM
Stangslayer
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ~Stingray
Hey Everyone,

I am asking for your opinions. (this thread has been approve by the moderators)

I am starting a small business selling automotive apparel online. This is mostly for fun. And if the good Lord blesses it beyond that, I won't object!

For every good company, there is a brand logo. I have been working with a developer and have narrowed it down to several designs. I would like you all to help me with picking the official design. At this point, I am not really concerned about colors or fine tweaking, your vote is about the design in general.

Below is a short description on the company and what I aim to do so you can get an idea of what the company is about.

Thank you for your input!

What I am looking for:
- Your favorite and why
- please tell me your other likes, ranking them, with 1 as the LEAST LIKED.
(That is if you like any others, you could just like one - not liking any is ok)
- If you have comments about the logos, please let me know.

Description:
This company is auto themed. I currently sell apparel only, but once the site is built later this year and I have given it some time, I may move into collectibles or other car related genres. The sky is the limit. Apparel is just where I am starting. Eventually, I want to sponsor my own car shows and charity fund raisers. So this logo should not focus on the items I sell but the genre that is my market/target audience. The company will also strive for a high level of customer service.

Target Audience:
Mechanics and fan-boys (girls); people who would buy a Corvette t-shirt because they like Corvettes, individuals who work on their cars, own classics, enjoy reading about cars, strolling through car shows, and those that have an interest in lap times, HP output, and auto technological advancements.

Perception:
I want this logo to be eye-catching and remember-able. Even if someone has no interest in cars, or the company, they should still appreciate the logo and be curious what it is about. I want them to trust the company when looking at the logo, much like Amazon.

The logo images are attached.

Thanks again!!
I'd get a new developer!
Old 03-23-2017, 06:25 AM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 909 Likes on 606 Posts

Bottom is my favorite.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:53 AM
SMT1004
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 127 Posts

Bottom is my favorite, however I would keep the name and design a silhouette of a car so that the name is inside that image.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:08 AM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by vbdenny
The car logo at the bottom.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:47 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

The one on the bottom because it denotes the entire car which to be means a fuller spectrum of products. I initially like the one on the row right above the bottom one on the right but decided it had too much of a connotation of speed which might be product limiting. I would stick a passenger in the car with a piece of Corvette apparel on to further broaden the spectrum of products.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:53 AM
JRYELLOWCORVETTE
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

Replies will be all over the charts however I was immediately drawn to the first one on line two! Very sharp looking.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:56 AM
bigsapper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 294 Likes on 219 Posts

I would not want a focused group logo. The logo should be personal and reflect me.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:04 AM
Scruff Vette
Safety Car

Received 866 Likes on 397 Posts

Last logo at the bottom.

Eye catching, easily readable and memorable.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:37 AM
Burgy
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For professional -- free -- help with your logo choice, and your business development and growth, contact your local SCORE chapter. Find it at www.score.org.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:51 AM
revilingfool
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I wouldnt use any of them personally.

But if i had to pic from that list it would be the last one. Make it look more specific like a sports car though. the front looks like an aston or maserati but the back just looks moosh.

I would prob do an outline side view of a vette or something and then just have my brand name inside. Your not actually gonna put that on the shirts so i dont think it matters much. just for banners on the site etc.

Get notified of new replies

To New Company - Opinions please

Old 03-23-2017, 10:05 AM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

Regardless of your ultimate pick, I wanna be among your earliest clients, if not THE first. Just keep me posted.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:18 AM
Fat Mike
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 730 Likes on 610 Posts

All choices are good in their own way.
Have you considered using a silhouette of a chariot. And considering this ideal further, you could perhaps have the image morph into a car???

The best of luck to you in your venture.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:22 AM
RFBHD
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 176 Posts

NONE!!!!! they all look like stock images from logos R US....... Ive done this before .. find a local advertising/marketing person.... not a big firm ..there are plenty of experienced individuals in business for them self that can do a custom design that will make your business stand out... If you use them for other services you may need like web design and set up for online sales....they will probably do the logo for free

Quick Reply: New Company - Opinions please