C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 Sleuths: what's wrong with this picture?

Old 03-23-2017, 12:40 AM
Vegasdriver
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C3 Sleuths: what's wrong with this picture?

This picture is supposed to be the underside of a 1980 Corvette?

I am having trouble believing this picture as the exhaust is all wrong, ...missing the Catalytic converter, .... also the rear suspension has no leaf springs and the rear tie rods are totally re-configured. This Vette has coil springs?

Any expert recognize the underside of this Corvette?

Feel welcome to comment!
Attached Images  
Old 03-23-2017, 01:04 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 771 Likes on 644 Posts

It could be a very modded c3, coil over kits are everywhere with c3s
The following users liked this post:
Vegasdriver (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 01:10 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

CAT's could be ahead of the exhaust pipes in that photo....if it had any (which I doubt). Just a well-modded car....
Vegasdriver (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 01:15 AM
Vegasdriver
Cruising

Originally Posted by The13Bats
It could be a very modded c3, coil over kits are everywhere with c3s
Assuming this is a well modified 1980, what's the performance improvement to coils from leaf spring?

Is there a true performance improvement?
Old 03-23-2017, 01:16 AM
Vegasdriver
Cruising

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
CAT's could be ahead of the exhaust pipes in that photo....if it had any (which I doubt). Just a well-modded car....
Yes I agree, I doubt the catalytic converter survived this modification, in this particular photo example.

Why risk removing the catalytic converter?
( My state, Nevada has smog testing, even for older cars.)

Last edited by Vegasdriver; 03-23-2017 at 01:36 AM.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:34 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by Vegasdriver
Assuming this is a well modified 1980, what's the performance improvement to coils from leaf spring?

Is there a true performance improvement?
Well, good question 95% or more of c3 owners do not drive their car in a way to justify anything more than stock suspension which was very good for its era,

When i did a chassis swap due to rust my donor chassis had been rebuilt with vbp transverse springs front and rear but i sure dont need it for my cruiser,
it does give me fun bragging rights until i get called out and asked what track i hit.

I will let an actual track type cat tell you how much better coil overs are than stock or my dual transverse, i simply do not know.
Vegasdriver (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 01:34 AM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

Why risk removing the catalytic converter?
if you aren't required by a state law to have one ! why would you !
Old 03-23-2017, 01:42 AM
Vegasdriver
Cruising

Originally Posted by bazza77
if you aren't required by a state law to have one ! why would you !
Correct I see your point. My state Nevada has smog testing even for older cars.

I would be concerned about being able to sell my Corvette in the future, if I removed the catalytic converter.

If my converter malfunctions in the future, I will definitely consider not replacing it at that time.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:34 AM
Vegasdriver
Cruising

For the expert.... in the above picture of the 1980 modified Corvette, what is that solid silver crossbar the stretches from side to side of the Corvette in the middle of the frame?

What is the purpose of that support? That is foreign to a stock 1980 Vette.

Last edited by Vegasdriver; 03-23-2017 at 02:35 AM.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:57 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

For the expert.... in the above picture of the 1980 modified Corvette, what is that solid silver crossbar the stretches from side to side of the Corvette in the middle of the frame?

What is the purpose of that support? That is foreign to a stock 1980 Vette.
Trans cross member, looks like a high dollar build, my 69 has the bats low cost version of that cross member all c3s have a stock one, auto tranny cars bolt in....
Vegasdriver (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 03:25 AM
Vegasdriver
Cruising

Trans cross member, looks like a high dollar build, my 69 has the bats low cost version of that cross member all c3s have a stock one, auto tranny cars bolt in....
What is the purpose of a high dollar cross member? Racing?
Old 03-23-2017, 03:40 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

What is the purpose of a high dollar cross member? Racing?
Reasons vary, few legit, in my case and not high dollar my donor chassis was 4 speed so stock x member welded in i had it modded to bolt in so when i swap from auto trans to 4 speed makes it easier.

98% of the "hey look at me, look what im building by throwing money at it"
Builds are never on a track, lots of high end stuff even low end mods are in many xases just to look cool and or bragging rights,

For example my 69 is flared L88 hood mild 454 etc, the build idea to look like an old racer, which is trendy right now, but i admit im a poser and likely will never have my car on a track,
And i have way less than 15k in my build....thats the part to look at...

You asked a lot of questions, what's the interest you gonna build a high dollar c3?
Old 03-23-2017, 03:59 AM
Vegasdriver
Cruising

Reasons vary, few legit, in my case and not high dollar my donor chassis was 4 speed so stock x member welded in i had it modded to bolt in so when i swap from auto trans to 4 speed makes it easier.

98% of the "hey look at me, look what im building by throwing money at it"
Builds are never on a track, lots of high end stuff even low end mods are in many xases just to look cool and or bragging rights,

For example my 69 is flared L88 hood mild 454 etc, the build idea to look like an old racer, which is trendy right now, but i admit im a poser and likely will never have my car on a track,
And i have way less than 15k in my build....thats the part to look at...

You asked a lot of questions, what's the interest you gonna build a high dollar c3?

First, I appreciate your great answers.

I own a 1980 Corvette for the past 32 years. ....A friend of mine showed me the above picture of a modified 1980 Corvette and he thought it was great...... I thought it was a kiddie car concept. .... burning money on modifications that do not add value to the car. There is an imaginary benefit , but I think I am on the same page as you. These modifications are for bragging rights.

When I look at the above picture, I do not recognize it as a 1980 undercarriage. But my friend thinks it cool.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:01 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

First, I appreciate your great answers.

I own a 1980 Corvette for the past 32 years. ....A friend of mine showed me the above picture of a modified 1980 Corvette and he thought it was great...... I thought it was a kiddie car concept. .... burning money on modifications that do not add value to the car. There is an imaginary benefit , but I think I am on the same page as you. These modifications are for bragging rights.

When I look at the above picture, I do not recognize it as a 1980 undercarriage. But my friend thinks it cool.
Its very cool if thats what a cat wants
Old 03-23-2017, 05:25 AM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

That cross member looks home made especially as it only uses half the mounting points but I would say that its secondary function is to give plenty of room to tuck that piece of art ,I mean exhaust , up nice and high.

Not sure on the checker plate unless he has sandwiched some insulation between it and the floor , those mufflers are close !

I like it , don't suppose we could get to see the top of it ?

Last edited by bazza77; 03-23-2017 at 05:26 AM.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:18 AM
Vegasdriver
Cruising

Originally Posted by bazza77
That cross member looks home made especially as it only uses half the mounting points but I would say that its secondary function is to give plenty of room to tuck that piece of art ,I mean exhaust , up nice and high.

Not sure on the checker plate unless he has sandwiched some insulation between it and the floor , those mufflers are close !

I like it , don't suppose we could get to see the top of it ?
Unfortunately I do not have a top side picture of the car to share with you.

My question to you : Would this highly modified car be driven on the road or is it a show car?
Old 03-23-2017, 09:48 AM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Unfortunately I do not have a top side picture of the car to share with you.

My question to you : Would this highly modified car be driven on the road or is it a show car?
Well that's a good question , IMO and its ONLY my opinion, its not detailed enough to be a real show car ,as in trailered to events , pushed around, trailered home. It cant be judged for classic corvette originality anymore and its not as higher standard as a true show car has to be these days

What it does look like to me is a fresh build with a custom exhaust and tranny mount bar made for that car . the whole rear end suspension can be bought brand new online and installed by the owner .

What it is actually built for is well for the owner to say . would I drive it if it was mine ? Hell yeah

I have a friend with a similar rear suspension on his car and he has a super 10 diff in there , with a 6 link on it for good measure , custom fuel tank , supercharged 383 chev in it, when its finished being rebuild he will drive it on the streets no problem . But that's him ,everyone has a different idea of what to do with their cars.

When I did mine , I detailed everything on the bottom of my car , I had it sparkling clean ,nicely painted , then I took heaps of pics of it then lowered it to the ground and drove it everywhere

I hope that answers your question.

Last edited by bazza77; 03-23-2017 at 10:10 AM. Reason: looks like ridetech rear ,thought it was vansteels
Vegasdriver (03-23-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To C3 Sleuths: what's wrong with this picture?

Old 03-23-2017, 03:47 PM
ENCSDOUG
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

"burning money on modifications that do not add value to the car"

Some of the C-3 restomods on BJ or Mecum were sold for top dollar. Some people like the C-3 with after market upgrades. My 72 has a complete suspension upgrade that rides much better than the stock suspension.
Vegasdriver (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 04:17 PM
User-C3
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Looks like the Vansteel coilover kit in the rear. Huge improvement over stock in multiple aspects. Adjustability, ride quality, handling etc etc.
The trans crossmember does look very much tailor made most likely by the owner to more than likely accommodate an engine trans swap to something perhaps newer. It's also removable and would help with engine trans removal quite a bit as well as stated above making room for the exhaust and x-pipe. With the factory cross member in there its impossible to get an exhaust setup like this. The cats are probably non existent, also to the performance aspect. I have a 78 and currently run less than a one foot section of tubing for my exhaust, no muffler, no cat, and live in Michigan were they dont require smog cert.
Absolutely a photo of a c3 and more than likely the owner drives the **** out of it.

Whats the point of owning these toys if you dont enjoy them and modify them the way you want for your own enjoyment?
Vegasdriver (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 06:00 PM
Vegasdriver
Cruising

Great observations and insight to my original question, this forum does not disappoint with input provided by the above members!

Using aftermarket upgrades or keeping with stock parts is the choice of each Corvette owner. I admit I keep my 1980 running with stock parts, though I recently replaced the the rear tie rods with an upgraded modern version that will last longer and are easier to adjust to align the back wheels.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C3 Sleuths: what's wrong with this picture?