C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight halos

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 10:44 AM
indshred
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight halos

I've seen numerous vids on installing headlight halos on a C6 Corvette but hardly a word on the wiring. I want my halos to stay on day/night with the current DRL's off and halos and DLR's to blink when the turn signal is engaged. I know someone has done this, please tell me how?
Old 03-27-2017, 09:31 PM
RC4G
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 142 Posts

Having the halo's tied to the existing DRL circuit in the off/on configuration you desire can't be done with OEM harness configuration because the DRL functionality is actually the turn signal / bright filament) which is controlled by the BCM.

There are aftermarket LED DRL controller/relays available that should be able to control the halo but it will be independent of the OEM DRL status:
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by RC4G; 03-27-2017 at 09:41 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:33 AM
zryder07
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I will try to help

Wired my Halos as my DRL and disconnected the headlights DRL(non blinker). On/off with headlight switch. I can turn on anytime without anything else in the front on. They stay on with headlights, on with high beams, on with fog lights. Does NOT blink with blinkers. This is very simple but not what you want.

Of what i am understanding, you want the Halos on with the DLR off but blink with the turn signals activated. More questions are needed to answer this correctly.

Do you want the factory DRL (non blinker) headlight bulb to work with the halos too or just Halos when you turn them on by factory headlight switch? This is a great way to have a 12v+dc power source that is easily activated by the already installed headlight switch in vehicle. Can be used also without ignition while parked.

IF you want the factory DRL (non blinker) bulb to still work like normal, how would you like to turn on your Halos then? Would you want them to turn on when ignition is on? Turned on by a hidden/toggle switch?

Do you want the factory headlights DRL to blink also with the Halo or only the Halo to blink in the front? I ask this because a simple use of the 12v+dc signal from the DRL turn signals can be used as a 12v+dc input/trigger for a active w bypass flasher controller. IF you use this method with the factory front headlight DRL blinker, they WILL NOT BLINK in sync thus why i ask if you want to retain the factory blinker bulb as well in front only.

You can have the Halos come on instead of your DRL(non blinker) bulb and blink with blinkers. This requires either a custom made controller (email a few people to make one) or google one. What you need is a module that connects in line of a 12v+dc power wire that is setup to flow through at least 10amps until a trigger 12v+dc is applied (blinker +) and the trigger is activate blinker function.

Have a similar module made at work that holds a steady red led light on while oven is working properly/powered on but blinks when our ovens hit over a set temp.
The following users liked this post:
indshred (04-11-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 07:39 PM
RC4G
Melting Slicks

Not sure what "factory DRL (non-blinker)" means because the OEM DRL function utilizes the turnsignal bright element (blinker).

The OEM turn signal / running light bulb is a 4157NA, which is a dual filament bulb. The dim element is used for running/parking lights and the bright element is used for turn signals and DRL functionality, which is controlled by the BCM.

If you use the bright element of the turn signal bulb as your relay input to power the halos then the halo's will mimic OEM functionality, including flashing when you activate turn signals but then will not stay lit when the headlights are on.

If you use the running light side of the turn signals to signal your external relay for the halos then the halos will light when the headlights are on but will not flash with turn signals or light with the OEM DRL's.

That is why you cannot achieve your goal of having the halos lit at all times (day or night) AND flash with the turn signals utilizing just the OEM harness to power the halos.

Last edited by RC4G; 03-28-2017 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:07 PM
zryder07
Instructor

-Quoted-
"That is why you cannot achieve your goal of having the halos lit at all times (day or night) AND flash with the turn signals utilizing just the OEM harness to power the halos."

This is very true-you can explain why much better than me.(was like 4am, lol)... Anywho, Without having a strong electronics background, Only way is to have a in-line module made to utilize the DRL blinker signal to activate a blink option.

Sorry for the DRL (non-blinker) writing but find it easier to explain as there are two filaments in the bulb and i just labeled them this way to be specific on which filament/usage .

Last edited by zryder07; 03-28-2017 at 08:09 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:07 PM
zryder07
Instructor

Module can be a simple 5pin relay for 5$. Might be wrong but should work fine= anyone confirm?

Wire as listed
85-Ground it
86-Power signal + tap from turn signal in headlight
87- dont use
87a- + wire to halos
30- + power source for halos- like running light, side marker, or ignition (depending on what you wanted or using)

I believe this should work. With blinker off, the relay will allow voltage to pass through to halo from its source. When blinker power is applied, the relay will stop voltage out of 87a causing a on/off blinking affect! But again as stated, it will NOT blink in unison with headlight DRL . (headlight DRL will be on while halo is off)
Old 03-29-2017, 08:17 PM
info@umnitza.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 328 Likes on 262 Posts

We sell all our halo kits with that same wiring harness setup. All pre-done and you can do a primary trigger (for DRL) and secondary trigger (for fade on and off with interior lights).

Give us a call if you are interested.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:04 PM
RC4G
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by zryder07
Module can be a simple 5pin relay for 5$. Might be wrong but should work fine= anyone confirm?

Wire as listed
85-Ground it
86-Power signal + tap from turn signal in headlight
87- dont use
87a- + wire to halos
30- + power source for halos- like running light, side marker, or ignition (depending on what you wanted or using)

I believe this should work. With blinker off, the relay will allow voltage to pass through to halo from its source. When blinker power is applied, the relay will stop voltage out of 87a causing a on/off blinking affect! But again as stated, it will NOT blink in unison with headlight DRL . (headlight DRL will be on while halo is off)

I hope you are not actually proposing tying a constant hot AND the turn signal tap to the relay switch input (pin 86) without a diode to keep the 12v constant from back feeding the turn signals???

If not and you are proposing just having the turn signal feed pin 86 it will mirror the OEM turn signal functionality which means the halo's will only light when the OEM's DRL's are lit and when the turn signals are active, period.

Last edited by RC4G; 03-30-2017 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:16 PM
zryder07
Instructor

I would just contact umnitza as he's a vendor and already perfected a harness .
Old 03-30-2017, 05:16 PM
info@umnitza.com
Supporting Vendor

Thanks!
https://www.umnitza.com/wiring-harne...ngel-eyes.html
Old 03-30-2017, 06:39 PM
COMMANDER2OOO
Melting Slicks

Received 218 Likes on 173 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Is this what u mean?
The following users liked this post:
indshred (04-11-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 11:48 AM
RC4G
Melting Slicks

Except their harness does not need the OP's original requirements ...
Old 03-31-2017, 12:26 PM
info@umnitza.com
Supporting Vendor

We actually have a second style of harness that allows you to do the blinking thing while doing the DRL. Ironically it's an HID harness for High/Lo h4/9007/H13 style HID systems.

That said, the main wiring harness for the halos will work better for DRL and fade/off/on operation.

OP: I would get halos that have a 3rd wire for the blinking part of it. Those halos aren't the MOST reliable but they are pretty simple to install.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:24 PM
indshred
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlight halos/DLR's

Originally Posted by RC4G
Not sure what "factory DRL (non-blinker)" means because the OEM DRL function utilizes the turnsignal bright element (blinker).

The OEM turn signal / running light bulb is a 4157NA, which is a dual filament bulb. The dim element is used for running/parking lights and the bright element is used for turn signals and DRL functionality, which is controlled by the BCM.

If you use the bright element of the turn signal bulb as your relay input to power the halos then the halo's will mimic OEM functionality, including flashing when you activate turn signals but then will not stay lit when the headlights are on.

If you use the running light side of the turn signals to signal your external relay for the halos then the halos will light when the headlights are on but will not flash with turn signals or light with the OEM DRL's.

That is why you cannot achieve your goal of having the halos lit at all times (day or night) AND flash with the turn signals utilizing just the OEM harness to power the halos.
Thx, appreciated.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight halos

Quick Reply: Headlight halos