C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying / shipping a car from Canada ?s

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 04:16 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

Default Buying / shipping a car from Canada ?s

Considering purchasing a car that is in Canada. It was originally in US, then taken to Canada... not sure if that matters.

Long distance transactions make me a bit nervous, and I don't want to waste the seller's time and get too deep into the negotiation/transaction and find out there are a bunch of fees and junk trying to get it to the US.

I'm in Texas, so I'm not close or able to make arrangements to pick up the car myself.

Anyone who has experience with this, I'd appreciate your thoughts, advice and insight; any "gotchas" that you ran into.

I've heard getting the title can be a PITA. ??

TIA.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:41 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

If you were willing To make the trip yourself it would have been very easy and free.

Since you're not, I don't see any way to get around hiring a broker (importation broker or something like that) to do the work for you. I'd guess it would cost $500 now, I haven't done it in years. Add to that if the seller won't deliver it to the border.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:21 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Check this guide:

http://www.ezbordercrossing.com/the-...e-from-canada/
Old 03-25-2017, 11:09 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

Thank you guys!
Old 03-26-2017, 09:10 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by WA 2 FST
Considering purchasing a car that is in Canada. It was originally in US, then taken to Canada... not sure if that matters.

Long distance transactions make me a bit nervous, and I don't want to waste the seller's time and get too deep into the negotiation/transaction and find out there are a bunch of fees and junk trying to get it to the US.

I'm in Texas, so I'm not close or able to make arrangements to pick up the car myself.

Anyone who has experience with this, I'd appreciate your thoughts, advice and insight; any "gotchas" that you ran into.

TIA.
title is simple to get.once you pay for car and have bill of sale in hand from seller go to any license bureau in Canada and they will make new title in your name.all titles are held by owner in Canada and have to be provided to buyer at time of sale

Last edited by irok; 03-26-2017 at 09:14 AM.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:56 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,500 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

How do you plan to pay the seller if you are not going in person? You're not planning to wire the money ahead of time, are you?

Originally Posted by WA 2 FST

TIA.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:30 PM
CadVette
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

I did the same thing once. This relocation will be easier than most as it will be listed as U.S. returned goods. I payed no duty. You will have to play around more with the Texas Dept. of Public Safety. I had to go to a different office other than the normal licence bureau. It wasn't too difficult, just a little more time involved locally to get it registered.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:50 PM
blu_c6
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Where in Canada is the car as us Canadians are a friendly bunch and am sure if close we can go check out the car for you.

Let us know and see if we can assist you before you invest too much time.

Get notified of new replies

To Buying / shipping a car from Canada ?s

Quick Reply: Buying / shipping a car from Canada ?s