C5 Z06 Trunk Lid Bubble

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 07:57 PM
dizzysn
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Default C5 Z06 Trunk Lid Bubble

Hey guys,

Got a C5Z and I've got some paint bubbling along the edges. The body shops I've talked to said that the trunk basically needs to be replaced. I'd rather not shell out money for a new trunk lid, shipping on it, and then to repaint it. *IS* there a way to fix it because I'd like to get it taken care of.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:38 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Without GOOD photos ...I can not comment. If you feel you can not get a good photo...then a photo of the trunk lid and some way for you to lay like a piece of paper over them so I know how many may be in that area and teh size of that area.

I do not know the extent of the bubbles and where they are located and what is under them.... in regards to the understructure of the trunk lid beneath where these bubbles are occurring..

Also...not knowing if you cover the car and if it outside also.

All of this can possibly come into play is that moisture contamination due to the car being covered up outside...or even inside it that environment is not the best..or the underside of the trunk lid is or was detailed a lot with a spray on protectant....the SMC can now be saturated...thus causing these bubbles to pop up.....BUT...that also is not knowing if your paint is facotry or if it has been repainted.

I know it can be repaired...but I do not know what the cost of a new one is BECAUSE the cost of correctly repairing it IF the SMC is saturated could EASILY exceed the cost of a new one. Possibly a good used one may be an option.

DUB
Old 03-26-2017, 06:39 PM
dizzysn
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
Without GOOD photos ...I can not comment. If you feel you can not get a good photo...then a photo of the trunk lid and some way for you to lay like a piece of paper over them so I know how many may be in that area and teh size of that area.

I do not know the extent of the bubbles and where they are located and what is under them.... in regards to the understructure of the trunk lid beneath where these bubbles are occurring..

Also...not knowing if you cover the car and if it outside also.

All of this can possibly come into play is that moisture contamination due to the car being covered up outside...or even inside it that environment is not the best..or the underside of the trunk lid is or was detailed a lot with a spray on protectant....the SMC can now be saturated...thus causing these bubbles to pop up.....BUT...that also is not knowing if your paint is facotry or if it has been repainted.

I know it can be repaired...but I do not know what the cost of a new one is BECAUSE the cost of correctly repairing it IF the SMC is saturated could EASILY exceed the cost of a new one. Possibly a good used one may be an option.

DUB
Hi,

Thanks for the reply! I'll try to grab some photos tomorrow. The car is an outside car, that I do keep covered 90% of the time. The original paint bubbled up, it was repainted due to hail damage) and fine for about 2 months and then came back worse. The shop told me that it MAY happen, and the only way to fix it is a new lid. Looks like I can get a good condition lid for about $150~ plus shipping. I figured they'd be a bit more than that, so that might actually be the way to go.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:26 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

gettign a good used trunk lid may be the way to go because I do know trying to fix that one would eat that $150 up in heart beat.

for what this is worth...Watch out for that car cover....and I do not care if 'they say' it is for outside and it 'breathes'.....because with you stating you keep it covered 90% of the time.....I fear that if you do not remove the cover after rain storms and open it up and allow the car to breathe...you can actually create an environment that is like a greenhouse that is not allowing the air to flow as freely as if it were not covered.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Z06 Trunk Lid Bubble

Quick Reply: C5 Z06 Trunk Lid Bubble