Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 CAM-S class suspension suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 02:43 AM
Raith
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default C5 CAM-S class suspension suggestions

Suspension seems to be the hardest thing for me to get figured out for my 04 coupe... so many choices, and so many experienced people with thoughts on what works.

as the title suggests, I am looking for advice on suspension for my 04 Vette. I am planning on running it in some autocross events this summer in the CAM-S class (was either CAM-S or SSM due to engine mods that happened last year).

I keep gravitating to the T1 parts, but am not sure how it's going to affect street driving because my Vette is also my daily. (Yes I know racing your daily isn't the best idea). I'm less concerned with the ride comfort than I am with handling.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, is there anyone in the central Texas area with modded suspensions on their c5 or c6 Vettes that would be willing to take me for a ride to feel the difference?
Thanks in advance. -Rob
Old 03-27-2017, 07:09 AM
01badvette
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Contact Sam Strano at Strano Performance he will put you on the right track with proven parts and advice.

Last edited by 01badvette; 03-27-2017 at 07:09 AM.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:10 AM
0amanda@ridetech
Former Vendor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have been running Ridetech HQ Smooth Body shocks on my C5 for 3 years now. They are single adjustable bolt on shocks. I drive to all of my events so I just soften the shock tuning when I am not racing and readjust them to a firmer setting once I get to the track. 3 years of 15-20 autocross and road course events a year and I haven't had any trouble. The shocks come with a 1,000,001 mile warranty.

I also run Ridetech front and rear swaybars and their delrin bushings. This is a seriously great setup for C5's. After 20 years in the suspension business, Ridetech knows their stuff.

http://www.ridetech.com/store/muscle...ures_hash=V364
Old 03-27-2017, 12:23 PM
v10climber
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Are you going for trophies at National events or just screwing around locally? A stiffer front spring, Strano's swaybars, shocks, and wheels/tires will get you a pretty quick car. Easily something that would be competitive locally if you can drive it. If you've got podium finishes at nationals in your sights I'd probably go with coilovers but only because you can tune the spring rates cheaper and easier than buying a bunch of custom $500 hyperco leaf springs. Also, honestly the cars do pretty well with z51 springs and aftermarket swaybars if you're not ready to deal with stiff suspensions and rough roads.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:54 PM
eric1855
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Easy button is call Strano buy what he says to.

What I have from Strano is Konis, and front and rear sways. I also have a stiffer front spring from VB&P. Lowered, aligned, corner balanced.

Nothing fancy, and it was enough to get the job done last year (and hopefully again this year).

Last edited by eric1855; 03-27-2017 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:55 AM
Raith
Racer

Originally Posted by v10climber
Are you going for trophies at National events or just screwing around locally? A stiffer front spring, Strano's swaybars, shocks, and wheels/tires will get you a pretty quick car. Easily something that would be competitive locally if you can drive it. If you've got podium finishes at nationals in your sights I'd probably go with coilovers but only because you can tune the spring rates cheaper and easier than buying a bunch of custom $500 hyperco leaf springs. Also, honestly the cars do pretty well with z51 springs and aftermarket swaybars if you're not ready to deal with stiff suspensions and rough roads.
Nationals would be nice, but im not at that level yet, nor are my pockets deep enough to support that kind of dedication.
I'm not super concerned with ride quality, since most of the roads here are pretty decent.
I had looked at, T1 bars and DRM Bilsteins with C5Z springs, or the Johnny O'Connell AFE setup, but I'd like to get this done right the first time, and not have to go through a ton of trial and error.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:32 AM
mattastick
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Raith
Nationals would be nice, but im not at that level yet, nor are my pockets deep enough to support that kind of dedication.
I'm not super concerned with ride quality, since most of the roads here are pretty decent.
I had looked at, T1 bars and DRM Bilsteins with C5Z springs, or the Johnny O'Connell AFE setup, but I'd like to get this done right the first time, and not have to go through a ton of trial and error.
IMO, T1 bars are too big for street tires. I think the sweet spot for a C5 on 200tw tires is probably in the 32-35mm range for a front bar. For my STU car (base C5 without a lot of power and 285mm tires), I'm planning on running no rear bar on low grip sites, and adding one of the small factory bars for higher grip sites. This is with an HPT rear spring and 975 VBP front.

To me, it all comes down to how much power you're trying to put down, as that will determine how much weight you need to transfer rearward under accel. More power = more weight transfer needed.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:40 AM
Raith
Racer

Originally Posted by mattastick
IMO, T1 bars are too big for street tires. I think the sweet spot for a C5 on 200tw tires is probably in the 32-35mm range for a front bar. For my STU car (base C5 without a lot of power and 285mm tires), I'm planning on running no rear bar on low grip sites, and adding one of the small factory bars for higher grip sites. This is with an HPT rear spring and 975 VBP front.

To me, it all comes down to how much power you're trying to put down, as that will determine how much weight you need to transfer rearward under accel. More power = more weight transfer needed.
in this case, its gonna be somewhere between 450 and 500 at the wheels, so judicious throttle application is going to be necessary.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:57 AM
01badvette
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I am roughly in the same type of situation, where as the checkbook doesn't warrant nationals level parts at least all at once lol. I run Z06 springs front and back with strano adjustable sways and re-valved Bilsteins similar to the DRM's on a 275/35R18 RE71R setup and its more then enough to win local region events and be competitive at higher level events.
I'm am slowly piecing together a higher end setup hopefully 18x10.5 315/30 square set up with Koni adjustables and a few other odd and ends from Strano Performance. However the setup I have now is still a very strong setup and more then likely only being my 2nd year in autoX I am not even pushing it to its limits.

Last edited by 01badvette; 03-29-2017 at 08:58 AM.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:58 AM
mattastick
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

in this case, its gonna be somewhere between 450 and 500 at the wheels, so judicious throttle application is going to be necessary.
Well, you won't be able to drive it like a Miata, but there are certainly people putting down more power. 315/335 Rival S are in your future though. A good starting point is what Eric posted. It was good enough to win Nationals and didn't break the bank. You have more power than his car did when it won, but in the ballpark with it now, so I'd start there.
The following users liked this post:
eric1855 (03-31-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 11:40 AM
chetly
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

My setup is:
JRi doubles all around
Stranoparts front and rear sway bars
Hypercoil track front Street rear springs
Forgestars cf5 18x11 w/ 315 rival S all around

Old 03-30-2017, 02:26 PM
KCblues
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I know there is a lot of fun to be had modding cars, but as a point of reference for how much there is to be gained by suspension mods here are the first place results in AS and CAM-S classes from last years Nationals:

AS: 61.032, 54.303
CAM-S: 62.103, 54.280
The following users liked this post:
cpt11gs (03-30-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 08:39 AM
v10climber
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by KCblues
I know there is a lot of fun to be had modding cars, but as a point of reference for how much there is to be gained by suspension mods here are the first place results in AS and CAM-S classes from last years Nationals:

I know it's fun to point at stuff like that to tease the CAM-S guys. But a CAM-S car is a fair bit faster than an AS car. AS just has some really amazing drivers. I wouldn't use those results as proof that suspension modifications and more tire don't make an AS C6z any faster. Just being able to put the 335 on the front of the C6z instead of the 275 they run in AS makes the car a fair bit faster.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:46 AM
eric1855
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Weather conditions were to diverse to compare times of classes running different courses and heats in any accurate manner.

However, AS is also full of some of the fastest autocrossers in the country. Regardless of car it is hard to catch Daddio in his C6Z.

Also, my CAM-S car last year that won Nationals was essentially a AS car with 315s square. The cool wet weather definitely helped us as we probably had the lowest HP in all of the CAM-S grid, if it was dry and warm we'd have been hard pressed to keep up with Junior or Losert.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:05 AM
KCblues
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Didn't really mean to be poking fun (much anyway) but mainly pointing out just how quick the C5Z and C6Z are in relatively stock form.

We don't have anyone running CAM-S in KC region or nearby, otherwise I would probably jump right in because of wheel/tire size allowances.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:01 PM
Tomswheels
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Yes it was wet when CAM-S ran those times...
Old 04-02-2017, 01:35 PM
Nokones
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 158 Posts

It was very wet at the beginning of our run group than there was drying conditions on our third runs. The first and lower number drivers would end up with slower times as compared to the #199 numbered car. Oh well, that's racing.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 CAM-S class suspension suggestions

Old 04-03-2017, 09:47 PM
nickb45502
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

This! AS Z06 is typically among fastest car at most events. Stock width wheels, front sway, and dampers.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:20 PM
Nokones
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 158 Posts

If you need help with your suspension, talk to the fast guys. They will help you, maybe they won't share all their secrets with you but, they will steer you in the right direction. If you need suspension help, talk to Mike Maier at Mike Maier, Inc., he has helped Brian and Steve Hobaugh with their C2 & C5 setups and Chet Stewart with his C5 setup, and my C4 setup. Another source is Sam Strano at Strano Auto Parts, I believe he is in Pennsylvania; and of course Danny Popp at Raft Racing/Motorsports.

Jim McKamey is another excellent source but, I'm not sure if he is setting other people's cars these days. Jim Mckamey had a very fast C5 at the SCCA Peru CAM Challenge last year. Eric Brown is another source and was very fast and his C5 won both the CAM Invitational and Solo Nationals.

Don't be afraid to ask. Lots of people will be glad to help you.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:08 AM
opel
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 54 Posts

You need to make up your mind if your running CAM or SSM. CAM will run street tires SSM will run race tires. That will change the suspension some what. Give Sam Strano a call he will set you up right.

Quick Reply: C5 CAM-S class suspension suggestions