C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harmonic balancer / damper replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 10:23 AM
719c6
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Harmonic balancer / damper replacement

I have the dreaded wobble on my 05 with 50,XXX miles. Changed to a Gatorback belt and the chirp stopped but it's gonna be time for the a swap soon.

I have been looking for a good video to assist in doing it myself. Anyone have some good ones bookmarked?

Thanks!
Old 03-26-2017, 10:26 AM
Joey D
Drifting

Received 185 Likes on 131 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...procedure.html
Old 03-27-2017, 08:06 AM
HK770
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

You'll find a couple of damper install Vids on youtube.

Would not use GM damper use aftermarket and ARP bolt and follow their torque specs.
Replace front seal while your there.
I used ATI super damper. Your millage may very

a few tools you will need , you can find some rent free at your local auto parts store.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Proform-6651...QAAOSw32lYn4Re

Amazon Amazon

http://www.saccitycorvette.com/AlignItTools.html
Old 03-27-2017, 08:39 AM
719c6
Instructor

Any good links for videos for the procedure? Mainly getting the steering rack out?
Old 03-27-2017, 10:35 PM
HK770
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by 719c6
Any good links for videos for the procedure? Mainly getting the steering rack out?
Old 04-06-2017, 02:05 AM
flyned
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not a fun job

Originally Posted by 719c6
The problem with all the youtubes I found was none had a helper to hold the cam so the critical moves were not recorded. Great effort but I never did see the actual extraction. We spent hours and the rack would not come out. We got the job done by lowering the k member and removing the fan shroud to give some room in front of the pulley. Only move rack to right side but did not remove. Use old belt as strap wrench around pulley to lock crank. Took us 5 minutes to wrap the belt and remove the crank bolt with never even seeing the starter or finding the locking tool. The k member will come down more it you loosen the shocks. It is possible to lower it enough to do the job with never touching the rack.
Good Luck
Old 04-06-2017, 05:48 PM
lovinmyls1
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

The k member will come down more it you loosen the shocks. It is possible to lower it enough to do the job with never touching the rack.
Good Luck[/QUOTE]

Has any forum member done that? If it could be done that way it would be a great time saver. And make a difficult job somewhat easier.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:13 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

I know the day is coming and I wish I had the knowledge and talent to do it myself but not happening

NSF
Old 04-06-2017, 10:12 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 653 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by lovinmyls1
Originally Posted by flyned
The k member will come down more it you loosen the shocks. It is possible to lower it enough to do the job with never touching the rack.
Good Luck
Has any forum member done that? If it could be done that way it would be a great time saver. And make a difficult job somewhat easier.
That's how I did it.

I braced the engine in position and lowered the subframe with steering rack attached. I disconnected the motor mounts, outer tie rod ball joints, and lower control arm ball joints. I also removed the anti-roll bar bushing caps so the bar hung down, detached the power steering cooler from the subframe, and disconnected the steering gear at the slip joint.

Afterward I had the car aligned but it didn't need it. The locator pins in the subframe do a good job of positioning it repeatably.

Crazy forces are required to remove and install the balancer. The factory flywheel locker is very much worth having.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:13 AM
lovinmyls1
Racer

Originally Posted by torquetube
That's how I did it.

I braced the engine in position and lowered the subframe with steering rack attached. I disconnected the motor mounts, outer tie rod ball joints, and lower control arm ball joints. I also removed the anti-roll bar bushing caps so the bar hung down, detached the power steering cooler from the subframe, and disconnected the steering gear at the slip joint.

Afterward I had the car aligned but it didn't need it. The locator pins in the subframe do a good job of positioning it repeatably.

Crazy forces are required to remove and install the balancer. The factory flywheel locker is very much worth having.

Kind of sounds just as involved as the other way.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:44 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 653 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by lovinmyls1
Kind of sounds just as involved as the other way.
The total number of steps is about the same, but this way you don't have to disconnect power steering hydraulics or fuss with the rack mounts. Save your energy for fighting the harmonic balancer.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:22 PM
719c6
Instructor

The total number of steps is about the same, but this way you don't have to disconnect power steering hydraulics or fuss with the rack mounts. Save your energy for fighting the harmonic balancer.
No kiddin'! All I could do to brake it free and then torquing it back down was a real booger too. But the re-assembly was alot easier than the take-down.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 04-07-2017, 04:04 PM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
I know the day is coming and I wish I had the knowledge and talent to do it myself but not happening

NSF
Drive it down to Phoenix and I'll take care of it for you
Old 04-08-2017, 08:52 AM
lovinmyls1
Racer

If or when I have to do this, the heavy work will be done by my son, a real gym rat....benched 350lbs....so I have that covered.

Get notified of new replies

To Harmonic balancer / damper replacement

Quick Reply: Harmonic balancer / damper replacement