C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Avoid Spin Out during Straight Line Acceleration?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 03:11 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

Default How to Avoid Spin Out during Straight Line Acceleration?

Looking at the video you can see many instances where a Corvette is accelerating in a straight line and then suddenly spins out. What is the technique for avoiding this? I have paddle shifters, base engine, A&A supercharger. I have the stock run flat tires, but I will be getting new non-run flat tires.

Thanks!!
Old 03-26-2017, 03:20 PM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

The number one way to avoid this is never to apply WOT (wide open throttle) on a public street or highway. Especially in a supercharged Corvette. There are far too many deadly obstacles and innocent bystanders. If you want to play, go to a proper playground.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:24 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

The best technique is to be easy on the go pedal. Good tires helps...knowing the limits of yourself, the car, weather conditions, tires, horsepower...all are contributing factors. Also, not trying to "show out" probably helps.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:36 PM
CadVette
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

Make sure your tires are warm first. Find a concrete road as the grip is better. Leave the tracton control on. Use common sense and be careful.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:39 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

No. Most of these drivers are using the throttle like an on-off switch, and are applying far too much throttle for the amount of traction available and the direction of momentum .

Start with a few basic rules:

1) Ensure you have a proper alignment
1) Ensure your tires are not old, bald and are the correct tires for the application
1) Ensure tires have proper tire pressure
1) Ensure tires have been warmed up prior to any high speed maneuvers
1) Ensure road and weather conditions are suitable
1) Everything should always be smooth and balanced. Do not hammer/mash the accelerator. Always roll into throttle, smoothly applying pedal pressure and feeding power as the conditions and available traction allows
1) If you are unsure of the available traction, keep your steering wheel pointed in the same direction of the vehicle when applying power (straight)
1) If the rear end steps out, smoothly ease off the throttle and feather it. Do not snap your foot off the throttle or mash the brakes. Do not make any sudden movements or large steering inputs. Weight is being transferred during this process and so the traction circle is changing. If less throttle input does not resolve the condition, then slight steering inputs. The car can be easily controlled in these circumstances with some practice and the proper equipment.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mordeth:
03CARISMA (03-27-2017), Callaway DrDon (03-26-2017), Maligator (03-26-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 07:14 PM
jmeirhofer
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Best thing you can do is take a car control clinic at your local track. Torrence is a ways from NorCal but if you ever want to make your way up here I have a friend that is an instructor at both Sears Point and Willows. I am sure they have the same courses down there.

Most of those folks in the video were just acting a fool at the wrong time. I always say, "play stupid games; win stupid prizes". The street is not place for those kind of antics.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:22 PM
ESSFO
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Leave traction control on.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:42 PM
hrt vlv
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

performance tires go away quick. Even if you pull the trigger with everything straight!
Old 03-26-2017, 08:16 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by jmeirhofer
Best thing you can do is take a car control clinic at your local track. Torrence is a ways from NorCal but if you ever want to make your way up here I have a friend that is an instructor at both Sears Point and Willows. I am sure they have the same courses down there.

Most of those folks in the video were just acting a fool at the wrong time. I always say, "play stupid games; win stupid prizes". The street is not place for those kind of antics.
Thanks. I'm thinking about going to Spring Hill race track (?) in Nevada. They have two, three day courses.

Many years ago I had a 69 Corvette Coupe with a clone L88 engine and a Doug Nash 5 speed. I could control it during acceleration. It had a tendency to turn to the right during acceleration. I could control it with a little left turn on the steering wheel and sometimes by slipping the clutch a little.

As for my LS3 08 Corvette, with the supercharger, my most exciting moment was on a sunny, but cold January day at Edwards AFB near Palmdale ,CA. Just before entering the freeway, I stopped at a Thai restaurant for lunch. So rolling onto the freeway, the tires were cold. I entered the freeway to be following a truck going maybe 55 mph. I wanted to get back home quickly. I forgot I was driving my Corvette. I did what I would do in my DD 97 Ford Thunderbird, I simultaneously floored the gas pedal and made a sharp left turn to change lanes and get around the truck. An OK maneuver for a Ford Thunderbird.......but not for a supercharged Corvette! I immediately started sliding sideways, my windshield came within inches of hitting the back of the truck...and then a couple of violent fishtails to recover.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:50 PM
Maineah
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! That video was hard to watch.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:54 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,447 Likes on 2,803 Posts

Most of the people in those videos are terrible drivers, and over correct. Don't over correct, and you will be fine. Those are the same people that drive mustangs into the nearest crowd of people from lack of skill.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:03 PM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

As was already stated, most of the people in the video were terrible drivers who pushed their Corvettes beyond their skill levels. If you want to do some spirited driving, take a class that teaches high performance driving skills. The other thing is don't do stupid stuff in bad weather or in traffic ... you may think you know what you're doing, but you have know clue what other people are doing or going to do.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:07 PM
jmeirhofer
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
Thanks. I'm thinking about going to Spring Hill race track (?) in Nevada. They have two, three day courses.

Many years ago I had a 69 Corvette Coupe with a clone L88 engine and a Doug Nash 5 speed. I could control it during acceleration. It had a tendency to turn to the right during acceleration. I could control it with a little left turn on the steering wheel and sometimes by slipping the clutch a little.

As for my LS3 08 Corvette, with the supercharger, my most exciting moment was on a sunny, but cold January day at Edwards AFB near Palmdale ,CA. Just before entering the freeway, I stopped at a Thai restaurant for lunch. So rolling onto the freeway, the tires were cold. I entered the freeway to be following a truck going maybe 55 mph. I wanted to get back home quickly. I forgot I was driving my Corvette. I did what I would do in my DD 97 Ford Thunderbird, I simultaneously floored the gas pedal and made a sharp left turn to change lanes and get around the truck. An OK maneuver for a Ford Thunderbird.......but not for a supercharged Corvette! I immediately started sliding sideways, my windshield came within inches of hitting the back of the truck...and then a couple of violent fishtails to recover.
Willow Springs has a couple of companies that teach there as well as Skip Barber. Probably a lot closer too.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:29 PM
Callaway DrDon
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 70 Posts

Went from a base 04 to a SC 580 Callaway recently. It is scary fast in comparison. I am almost embarrassed to say it is a little intimidating, but it sure is addicting. Thanks for the video showing how not to abuse the power, and thanks to those posting driving tips.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:40 PM
dudev
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Rotation is the result of a higher rear "vector" than the front of the car.
In many of the "corvette driver loses control" YouTube videos that I've seen, the driver leaves an intersection and starts hard acceleration before he is in a straight line. Inadequate or slow counter-steering and abrupt accelerator release add to the loss of control.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:20 PM
Squidge
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watching that makes me really glad I spent so much time on sport bikes in all types of weather.

Throttle control is your safety measure. Letting all the way off is a great way to smack a tree.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:32 PM
Durien512
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Yikes... ugly vid.. .but like others said.. lots of variables... these machines are very powerful and need to be respected.... got to be super careful..

Get notified of new replies

To How to Avoid Spin Out during Straight Line Acceleration?

Old 03-26-2017, 11:05 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Throttle control is your safety measure.

nannys can only do so much dont depend on them
Old 03-26-2017, 11:57 PM
TTZ06VETTE
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
Looking at the video you can see many instances where a Corvette is accelerating in a straight line and then suddenly spins out. What is the technique for avoiding this? I have paddle shifters, base engine, Ad&A supercharger. I have the stock run flat tires, but I will be getting new non-run flat tires.

Thanks!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFD0rASnIN8
People have a habit of turning off active handling along with traction control during these stunts. Active handling has saved me more than once.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:35 AM
Ahrmike
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Most of the people in those videos are terrible drivers, and over correct. Don't over correct, and you will be fine. Those are the same people that drive mustangs into the nearest crowd of people from lack of skill.
im pretty sure they're snap-oversteering. Come off throttle too quickly, car will snap back the opposite direction.

edit: nvm, half of these are bad road conditions the other half is no steering.

Last edited by Ahrmike; 03-27-2017 at 02:38 AM.

Quick Reply: How to Avoid Spin Out during Straight Line Acceleration?