C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maintenance of wrapped "finish"...

Old 03-26-2017, 08:19 PM
Riverdog
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Maintenance of wrapped "finish"...

This may have been covered/discussed before, but I did a search and found nothing.

I was just reading a thread titled "stop the black wheels" and as I went through it there's a gorgeous matte finished JSB coupe that I am assuming is a wrap job--though I could be totally wrong.

To my point/question though, if one has his/her car fully wrapped, how is the finish maintained/protected, other than simply washing the vinyl?
Old 03-27-2017, 12:57 AM
Gotta-Qik-C7
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Riverdog
This may have been covered/discussed before, but I did a search and found nothing.

I was just reading a thread titled "stop the black wheels" and as I went through it there's a gorgeous matte finished JSB coupe that I am assuming is a wrap job--though I could be totally wrong.

To my point/question though, if one has his/her car fully wrapped, how is the finish maintained/protected, other than simply washing the vinyl?
I've never fully wrapped a whole car but my G8 had the roof wrapped black! You wash and wax the vinyl just like paint.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:29 AM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

Here is what 3m has to say about it. I agree.

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/...hics-wraps.pdf
Old 03-27-2017, 07:09 AM
ESSFO
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I bought some wrap detail spray from the shop that did mine. I use that and a micro fiber towel occasionally.

It hardly ever looks dirty, even after driving through the rain.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:35 PM
pagosawingnut
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 93 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I use Fast Wax on my wrapped finish. Keeps it looking wet all the time and easier to clean!
Old 03-27-2017, 09:55 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

I was at this used car dealer who specialized in sports cars, and they had an Audi R8 that was completely wrapped in a black Matte. It used to be all white.

I never would have known it was wrapped until they told me. They said it had been done two years earlier. You just wash and wax it like normal paint, he said. I don't recall what it cost to wrap it, but I know it was in the thousands.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:58 AM
ESSFO
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

You def don't wax a wrapped car. You can damage it. Use a chemical specifically designed for vinyl. My Vette cost $2400 to wrap, and that included door jams.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:54 AM
Joey D
Drifting

Received 185 Likes on 131 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I posted the pic- from what I recall, that is a wrap, not paint. I know my matte stripes on my centennial scratch kinda easily. Check out the auto geek forum and you ll get some answers.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:41 AM
Riverdog
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 78 Posts

Thanks for all the replies, folks. My car isn't wrapped, but it does have some vinyl striping on the hood. I've only washed it to date, but the finish is holding up very well.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:07 PM
Joey D
Drifting

Received 185 Likes on 131 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Thanks for all the replies, folks. My car isn't wrapped, but it does have some vinyl striping on the hood. I've only washed it to date, but the finish is holding up very well.
You re welcome. Just noticed your location. Im 2 miles from belmar, so probably not too far from you.

Get notified of new replies

To Maintenance of wrapped "finish"...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Maintenance of wrapped "finish"...