C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bump steer adapter

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 09:11 PM
MajD
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Bump steer adapter

I'm looking to improve the bump steer on my '79. Since these only came with power steering, the spindle has a single hole so I cannot use the blocks. Has anyone used this part?

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Adjust...Heim,3333.html

If this part won't work, what have others used? I looked at the QA1 and Baer kits on Summit and Jegs, but none of those were specifically for a Corvette. They sell several different part numbers for GM applications, so I don't know if there is one that works or what the differences are between each. Can someone school me on this? Thanks.

Maj D
Old 03-26-2017, 09:39 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

I have the Steeroids rack and pinion setup on my '79. It allows for bump steer adjustment. I've never adjusted it though. Not really sure what I would be looking for. I set it up once when I installed the kit and haven't changed it since, but that doesn't mean I have it right. Maybe you can school me on how to properly set up bump steer.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:59 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I have a pair of those.....used them for a mock up one time. They are made overseas of who reall knows what material. The OEM tie rod end studs are forged...Those are not...if you look at the old Chevy power manual and follow ride height settings bump steer is pretty minimal if those dimensions are adhered to....or you can just bolt something on thinking your doing the right thing. I have bump steer plates/gauges but, they can be emulated if your not going to the nth degree of preparation. The rod end that mounts to one of those studs is also not as strong as a tierod end.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:33 PM
MajD
Racer

Originally Posted by Solid LT1
I have a pair of those.....used them for a mock up one time. They are made overseas of who reall knows what material. The OEM tie rod end studs are forged...Those are not...if you look at the old Chevy power manual and follow ride height settings bump steer is pretty minimal if those dimensions are adhered to....or you can just bolt something on thinking your doing the right thing. I have bump steer plates/gauges but, they can be emulated if your not going to the nth degree of preparation. The rod end that mounts to one of those studs is also not as strong as a tierod end.
Thanks for the info...can you tell me more about the Chevy Power Manual you mention? Where can I get a copy?

There are other brands of adapters, I just happen to pick those. Many of them were "universal" and suitable for the GM 10 degree taper. Would these work? Surely someone out there has put together a bump steer kit. Was there any problems? Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

MajD
Old 03-27-2017, 08:46 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,126 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by MajD
I'm looking to improve the bump steer on my '79. Since these only came with power steering, the spindle has a single hole so I cannot use the blocks. Has anyone used this part?

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Adjust...Heim,3333.html
Maj D
I think you mean steering arm not spindle. VBP has a bump steer kit which works and is pretty sturdy but it has two drawbacks. The tie rod end position moves in between the two hole positions on the arm which means you lose some steering ratio. It also requires you to drill out the tapered holes. That makes this change irreversible. I bought a used pair and kept my originals. You never know it's going to work until it's too late. I would guess used arms are fairly easy to find. I didn't know there was a one hole version.
The following users liked this post:
MajD (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 03:47 AM
aussiejohn
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default G'day, mate!

Originally Posted by Solid LT1
Solid,

Good to see you're still hanging around here giving of your knowledge. I hope to see you this year if all the planets line up.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn

Last edited by aussiejohn; 03-28-2017 at 03:47 AM.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:08 AM
Kevin BC
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

VanSteel has a bump steer kit using similar Heim ends.
http://www.vansteel.com/index.cfm?ht...owItem&ID=3846
$380 though!
MajD (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 11:19 AM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by ignatz
I think you mean steering arm not spindle. VBP has a bump steer kit which works and is pretty sturdy but it has two drawbacks. The tie rod end position moves in between the two hole positions on the arm which means you lose some steering ratio. It also requires you to drill out the tapered holes. That makes this change irreversible. I bought a used pair and kept my originals. You never know it's going to work until it's too late. I would guess used arms are fairly easy to find. I didn't know there was a one hole version.
I did the same thing. Got used steering arms on eBay, drilled them out on a friend's press and bolted on the VB&P blocks. I have not noticed much difference in the steering ratio but the bump steer is much reduced.
MajD (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 01:34 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

Default Chevy Power Manual

Thanks for the info...can you tell me more about the Chevy Power Manual you mention? Where can I get a copy?

There are other brands of adapters, I just happen to pick those. Many of them were "universal" and suitable for the GM 10 degree taper. Would these work? Surely someone out there has put together a bump steer kit. Was there any problems? Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

MajD
The manual is out of print, I believe there were 6 publications of it. The key section you want is for the Corvette Chassis and here is a link to that section.
https://www.duntovmotors.com/Corvett...wer%20Book.pdf
Old 03-28-2017, 01:34 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 613 Likes on 368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

Summit has pages of bump steer adapters. This is the type that comes with a Steeroids R&P kit.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...6280/overview/

But there are many others shown.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...d%20Components

Tom
Old 03-28-2017, 04:55 PM
MajD
Racer

Originally Posted by MelWff
The manual is out of print, I believe there were 6 publications of it. The key section you want is for the Corvette Chassis and here is a link to that section.
https://www.duntovmotors.com/Corvett...wer%20Book.pdf
Thanks for the link. I read through it and it recommends moving the inner tie rod pivot up approximately one half inch. I've read from other posts that this can cause interference issues with the oil pan. Also, wouldn't something like that require a bracket to relocate the pivot points?

Has anyone done this? If so, how did you implement it? Thanks.

Maj D

Last edited by MajD; 03-28-2017 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:00 PM
MajD
Racer

Originally Posted by Sky65
Summit has pages of bump steer adapters. This is the type that comes with a Steeroids R&P kit.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...6280/overview/

But there are many others shown.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...d%20Components

Tom
Thanks. I found them in the summit catalog too, but none of the GM ones were specifically identified for a corvette. So I was wondering if there were ones that would work. It looks like you've identified part number 56280 as one that will work. I'll keep that in mind.

MajD
Old 03-28-2017, 05:33 PM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin BC
VanSteel has a bump steer kit using similar Heim ends.
http://www.vansteel.com/index.cfm?ht...owItem&ID=3846
$380 though!
http://www.vansteel.com/index.cfm?fu...up=405&ID=3846
Old 03-28-2017, 06:26 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

the Chevy Power book is available on ebay, just make sure the version you are contemplating buying has the Corvette chassis section, the later books do not have this section
Old 03-28-2017, 06:28 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Thanks for the link. I read through it and it recommends moving the inner tie rod pivot up approximately one half inch. I've read from other posts that this can cause interference issues with the oil pan. Also, wouldn't something like that require a bracket to relocate the pivot points?

Has anyone done this? If so, how did you implement it? Thanks.

Maj D
you weld a bung that will accept a tie rod end to the relay rod
MajD (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 09:56 PM
MajD
Racer

Originally Posted by redvetracr
you weld a bung that will accept a tie rod end to the relay rod
Redvetracr, thanks. The book excerpt I looked at was a little vague on the details. Would you weld the bungs directly over the existing ones? Again, I've heard of interference issues with the oil pan, but I cannot believe the Chevy Power book would recommend this modification if there were issues like that.

What about welding them on the bottom of the relay rod, but closer together? Is it the overall length of the tie rod, or the position? Likely it's both. Have you done this? If so, where did you get the bungs? Thanks again for the additional info.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:38 AM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/68-1968-Rare...5YsIqk&vxp=mtr

$79 for set of used steering arms on eBay. Drill them out and buy the VB&P blocks (which come with shorter tie rods). Easy and reversible.
MajD (03-29-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Bump steer adapter

Quick Reply: Bump steer adapter